Terrible FPS after Win 8.1 Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by ryan2594,

Well, after much research I tried turning off Hyper V in enable/disable Windows features and solved all my problems. Its really not what I expected the problem to be, but If anyone else is having the same problem, try that.

Apparently a lot of people had this problem when they installed Win 8, not sure why the problem only arose when I went to 8.1, but I'm glad its solved.

Hello! Today, I installed the upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 through the Windows store. The upgrade went very smoothly and everything seems to be working fine, but my performance in games, for some reason, has greately sufferred. In whatever game I play on the exact settings I used before I upgraded, the performance is terrible, with things like lag in the menu in Deus EX HR. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the Catalyst 13.9 and 13.11 beta drivers that the AMD site says should be compatible with Windows 8.1, and it seems to not have helped at all, so I really have no idea what the problem is.

Here is my system spec

AMD Phenom II X6 1055t 3.8GHz OC

8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1450MHz

ASUS M4A89GTDPRO/USB3

HIS Radeon HD 6950 IceQX Turbo

Silencer 750W PSU

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Windows 8.1 has it's kernel that was updated. So probably something related to graphics (and possibly other things) has changed. I know in my laptop, my sound card works only with Microsoft sound drivers (which ironically sounds better than the IDT drivers). It's 5 years old, so despite the Nvidia GPU, I can't really test games. But the environment is as smooth as before.

I haven't installed it on my desktop yet, so I can't tell you how gaming performance goes on Nvidia side, but I suspect its an optimization issue of the drivers. I would wait for next version.

On the Nvidia side, people notice no performance difference. But it's too early to say. We need proper reviews.

I just finished running Firestrike and luxrender under windows 8.1 and got pretty much identical scores to my usual. I did install catalyst 13.9 after the windows install if that makes any difference.

It could possibly be a radeon HD 6xxx series problem maybe?

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

I tried setting Deus EX to not use DX11 and it solved the problem, so I'm going to assume its a DirectX11 thing, which would make sense. I'm going to try reinstalling DirectX and try DX11 mode again, and we'll se how that goes.

EDIT: Well it didn't really help, but I guess im fine without DX11 until they fix whatever problem. Even If they don't im planning to upgrade soon anyway so it won't be a terrible loss. Thanks so much for all your help!

Well, after much research I tried turning off Hyper V in enable/disable Windows features and solved all my problems. Its really not what I expected the problem to be, but If anyone else is having the same problem, try that.

Apparently a lot of people had this problem when they installed Win 8, not sure why the problem only arose when I went to 8.1, but I'm glad its solved.

fascinating... I wonder why Hyper-V has anything to do with it...

I wonder if it comes back if you re-install it.

Odd i have Visualization on, but i got i5 2500k and a 7950 and i have been on 8.1 since it came out 4 weeks ago and have not had any problems whats so ever.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Visualization is not Hyper-V.

Hyper-V is Windows 8's VirtualBox program, if you will.