This monster is alive! (almost)

Inspirational
Go to solution Solved by Inspirational,
2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I looked at more testing.  The H5 really performs.  It is a higher tier cooler.

I made some changes, and it seems as though everything is now complete. The build is JUST under $2500.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vdfcxY

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

This one has the H5 way ahead: 

I guess at around low/average temperatures the H5 and 212 are about the same in performance. However, when the CPU load is heavier, the H5 quickly moves up.

This is the current build I am working on:

>>>> The $2500 ($1900 US) Desktop <<<<

>>> Old Build <<<

LAST UPDATED: 30-September-16 / 05:38PM (Sydney Time) 

Just now, Inspirational said:

I guess at around low/average temperatures the H5 and 212 are about the same in performance. However, when the CPU load is heavier, the H5 quickly moves up.

Sounds about right... these reviewers are all over the place though.:(

27 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Sounds about right... these reviewers are all over the place though.:(

By the looks of it, I will go for the 212 simply because it is "good enough" and cheaper than the H5. In 2-3 years time, I'll upgrade (if I feel the need) onto a $100+ CPU cooler.

>>> Old Build <<<

14 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

By the looks of it, I will go for the 212 simply because it is "good enough" and cheaper than the H5. In 2-3 years time, I'll upgrade (if I feel the need) onto a $100+ CPU cooler.

I would do the H5, it is just better.  $20 out of a $2500 build... think about it.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

I would do the H5, it is just better.  $20 out of a $2500 build... think about it.

Fair enough. I'll probably go for the h5 ultimate then

>>> Old Build <<<

Just now, Inspirational said:

Fair enough. I'll probably go for the h5 ultimate then

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I made some changes, and it seems as though everything is now complete. The build is JUST under $2500.

>>> Old Build <<<

1 minute ago, Inspirational said:

Looks good. 

Remember, the P400 is about $70 cheaper (after two 140mm fans).  Phanteks makes a high quality case.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Looks good. 

Remember, the P400 is about $70 cheaper (after two 140mm fans).  Phanteks makes a high quality case.

That's fine, but I'm going to stick to the NZXT because the design really caught my eye :)

>>> Old Build <<<

6 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

That's fine, but I'm going to stick to the NZXT because the design really caught my eye :)

This might hurt, new case:

S340 Elite (Tempered Glass):

S340-Elite_White-System-Window-2000x2000S340-Elite-3.jpg

In black:

NZXT-S340-Elite.jpg

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

S340 Elite (Tempered Glass):

In black:

This one seems to have a very minimalistic design, it's basically just a cube with a very large (seems to be the main emphasis) window that reveals the contents within. I'd take this case to be for people who are going to install custom water cooling (with all the coloured pipes going around) and LED lighting etc. 

I don't plan on going into that stuff, so an interesting external design (like the NZXT's one) is enough for me 

>>> Old Build <<<

10 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Also, I will probably now sit on this  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vdfcxY build for a few days just to be fully confident with the parts, and to just let the initial excitement die down so there isn't any impulse purchases or things of that sort. 

However, I will still be on the lookout for a way to avoid the Shopping Express purchase route for the GPU. 

>>> Old Build <<<

27 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Also, I will probably now sit on this  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vdfcxY build for a few days just to be fully confident with the parts, and to just let the initial excitement die down so there isn't any impulse purchases or things of that sort. 

However, I will still be on the lookout for a way to avoid the Shopping Express purchase route for the GPU. 

Actually, that is a really smart idea.  I used to recommend sitting on a build for a few days just to see if any deals pop up.  I have not done that in a while.

On 30/09/2016 at 6:29 PM, stconquest said:

Actually, that is a really smart idea.  I used to recommend sitting on a build for a few days just to see if any deals pop up.  I have not done that in a while.

Hey can you confirm that these two are the same?

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Pshj4D/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-ftw-gaming-acx-30-video-card-08g-p4-6276-kr

and

http://cplonline.com.au/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ftw-dt-gaming-acx-3-0-8gb-08g-p4-6274-kr.html

The only difference I see is in the title... The CPL website has "dt" and "6274"

While PCPARTPICKER has "6276"

I also found this one, which is more expensive, but maybe a closer version

http://cplonline.com.au/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ftw-gaming-acx-3-0-08g-p4-6276-kr.html

>>> Old Build <<<

36 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Hey can you confirm that these two are the same?

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Pshj4D/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-ftw-gaming-acx-30-video-card-08g-p4-6276-kr

and

http://cplonline.com.au/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ftw-dt-gaming-acx-3-0-8gb-08g-p4-6274-kr.html

The only difference I see is in the title... The CPL website has "dt" and "6274"

While PCPARTPICKER has "6276"

I also found this one, which is more expensive, but maybe a closer version

http://cplonline.com.au/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ftw-gaming-acx-3-0-08g-p4-6276-kr.html

Turns out DT is a somewhat slower version.

So the Tower that I wanted, the NZXT Noctis is out of stock in PCCG. However, I was able to find it at CPL for $10 cheaper + I can pick it up by hand.

I also found  the same GPU on the CPL website for $709 (basically $20 more). If I go with this, I can pick both of the items up without paying for postage. Now, do you think that GPU is worth $709? The one on Shopping Express was going to come to $690. Or can we find another one that is about the same price / better performance?

Also for the CPU cooler, I have recently been considering the universal version of the H5. Which apparently has a tad smaller fan, but has a white top. 

While the Ultimate has a larger fan, but black coloured top... They are the exact same price. Do you think I should give up a tiny amount of performance for the white colour? Or stick with the black one and go for full performance?

>>> Old Build <<<

3 hours ago, Inspirational said:

Turns out DT is a somewhat slower version.

So the Tower that I wanted, the NZXT Noctis is out of stock in PCCG. However, I was able to find it at CPL for $10 cheaper + I can pick it up by hand.

I also found  the same GPU on the CPL website for $709 (basically $20 more). If I go with this, I can pick both of the items up without paying for postage. Now, do you think that GPU is worth $709? The one on Shopping Express was going to come to $690. Or can we find another one that is about the same price / better performance?

Also for the CPU cooler, I have recently been considering the universal version of the H5. Which apparently has a tad smaller fan, but has a white top. 

While the Ultimate has a larger fan, but black coloured top... They are the exact same price. Do you think I should give up a tiny amount of performance for the white colour? Or stick with the black one and go for full performance?

Grab the $709 GPU.

For gaming, the overclock means very little 99% of the time.  In 5-8 years it might matter more.  Grab the white cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2016 at 9:07 AM, stconquest said:

Grab the $709 GPU.

For gaming, the overclock means very little 99% of the time.  In 5-8 years it might matter more.  Grab the white cooler.

Oh wow it has been over a week!

So I finally got all the parts and put the PC together. Everything is fine and dandy (had some troubles with Windows 10 as it kept giving an error message [something like: failed to reach boot drive] which was quickly fixed with a reinstall of Windows).

However, I came across another problem. It turns out that the Wifi Adapter I got (TP-Link TPL-WDN4800) isn't providing a good enough connection. 

I have tested it on Rocket League and League of Legends.

Rocket League just shows the ping to be 30-35. Which is fine, however, it is false.

League of Legends shows the actual ping which would inconsistently drop and rise up to 300.

In Rocket League, my vehicle is constantly being "adjusted" into the right position.

As for League of Legends, it is just straight out lag (delay to actions).

My Desktop is about 7.5 metres away from the Wifi Router (I can't have a direct cable connection :( ).

Any chance you can suggest me a Wifi Adapter that would help me? I can push up to $100 AUD.

I am currently considering this: TP-Link Archer T9E.

>>> Old Build <<<

1 hour ago, Inspirational said:

Oh wow it has been over a week!

So I finally got all the parts and put the PC together. Everything is fine and dandy (had some troubles with Windows 10 as it kept giving an error message [something like: failed to reach boot drive] which was quickly fixed with a reinstall of Windows).

However, I came across another problem. It turns out that the Wifi Adapter I got (TP-Link TPL-WDN4800) isn't providing a good enough connection. 

I have tested it on Rocket League and League of Legends.

Rocket League just shows the ping to be 30-35. Which is fine, however, it is false.

League of Legends shows the actual ping which would inconsistently drop and rise up to 300.

In Rocket League, my vehicle is constantly being "adjusted" into the right position.

As for League of Legends, it is just straight out lag (delay to actions).

My Desktop is about 7.5 metres away from the Wifi Router (I can't have a direct cable connection :( ).

Any chance you can suggest me a Wifi Adapter that would help me? I can push up to $100 AUD.

I am currently considering this: TP-Link Archer T9E.

Good to hear the PC is working fine.

As far as the wifi connection, it might be the router.  Before you spend more money, try moving the PC right next to the router first.  If you are having the same issues when the distance is only a meter away, then it is probably not the wireless adapter.

The Archer looks good.

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Good to hear the PC is working fine.

Spoiler

20161011_200941.jpg

Not signed in

As far as the wifi connection, it might be the router.  Before you spend more money, try moving the PC right next to the router first.  If you are having the same issues when the distance is only a meter away, then it is probably not the wireless adapter.

Right now I have it connected to the router by cable and it has fixed the problem. However, I cannot keep it here as there is no room for it.

The Archer looks good.

I'll consider that. What do you think about USB versions of the Wifi Adpaters? Or one of these?

>>> Old Build <<<

5 minutes ago, Inspirational said:
  Reveal hidden contents

20161011_200941.jpg

Not signed in

Right now I have it connected to the router by cable and it has fixed the problem. However, I cannot keep it here as there is no room for it.

I'll consider that. What do you think about USB versions of the Wifi Adpaters? Or one of these?

I use a powerline adapter to connect.  Wireless is not an option with concrete walls all over the place and I got tired of having a 50ft cable running the length of the hallway.

Powerline depends on the electrical lines of the house.  I tested my place by using my brothers powerline adapter kit first.  I max out around 40Mb/s (down from 100+Mb/s).  It is fast enough for me though.

Seriously, move your entire setup right next to the router and test the wireless again.

PCI-E adapters tend to be more reliable than the USB counterparts.

6 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I use a powerline adapter to connect.  Wireless is not an option with concrete walls all over the place and I got tired of having a 50ft cable running the length of the hallway.

Powerline depends on the electrical lines of the house.  I tested my place by using my brothers powerline adapter kit first.  I max out around 40Mb/s (down from 100+Mb/s).  It is fast enough for me though.

Seriously, move your entire setup right next to the router and test the wireless again.

I just tested it with Wifi (the Tower is literally touching the Router) and... The "adjusting" occurred again! 

I'm confused. So where is the problem then?

>>> Old Build <<<

3 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I just tested it with Wifi (the Tower is literally touching the Router) and... The "adjusting" occurred again! 

I'm confused. So where is the problem then?

It's hard to be certain, there is a chance that it is the router itself.  If it is the router then no matter how good the adapter is, the result will be the same.  Do you have another adapter somewhere to test?  PCI-E or USB... anything.

10 minutes ago, stconquest said:

It's hard to be certain, there is a chance that it is the router itself.  If it is the router, then no matter how good the adapter is, the result will be the same.  Do you have another adapter somewhere to test?  PCI-E or USB... anything.

I have another PCI-E (left over from my last computer). Should I try the connection with that too?

It doesn't seem to be compatible with windows 10... It's also 32bit... Should I still try to install it?

>>> Old Build <<<

24 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I have another PCI-E (left over from my last computer). Should I try the connection with that too?

It doesn't seem to be compatible with windows 10... It's also 32bit... Should I still try to install it?

yup