This monster is alive! (almost)

Inspirational
Go to solution Solved by Inspirational,
2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I looked at more testing.  The H5 really performs.  It is a higher tier cooler.

I made some changes, and it seems as though everything is now complete. The build is JUST under $2500.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vdfcxY

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

The BX200, or the SP550 is the next decent budget option.

The BX200 seems to be pretty good. It is also available at PCCG.

This is the current build I am working on:

>>>> The $2500 ($1900 US) Desktop <<<<

>>> Old Build <<<

LAST UPDATED: 30-September-16 / 05:38PM (Sydney Time) 

2 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

The BX200 seems to be pretty good. It is also available at PCCG.

It is a decent drive.  My cousin's husband has the 250GB version (recommended by me).  I played around on his PC, it was fine.  Faster than my drive in most workloads.

It is a decent drive.  My cousin's husband has the 250GB version (recommended by me).  I played around on his PC, it was fine.  Faster than my drive in most workloads.

I had a look at the 850 EVO, and it really passes our budget if we go for it...

Here is the latest list.

$2570

+$40 Postage for PCCG

+$10 Postage for Shopping Express (Graphics Card)

Total:

$2620

$50 postage... Damn.

>>> Old Build <<<

5 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I had a look at the 850 EVO, and it really passes our budget if we go for it...

Here is the latest list.

$2570

+$40 Postage for PCCG

+$10 Postage for Shopping Express (Graphics Card)

Total:

$2620

$50 postage... Damn.

Looks good.

Why not:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/9McMnQ/corsair-keyboard-ch9000094na

or:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/FWbkcf/ducky-keyboard-dkon1508sbusadaab1

This is nice, but no backlight:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/XwW9TW/das-keyboard-keyboard-dask3mkprosil

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Prefer the k70 because of the volume adjustment tool on the keyboard :P

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I require some sort of backlight as I usually have my light closed, and I am used to my M14x's keyboard.

>>> Old Build <<<

9 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I just realised I am paying $30 more just for some volume adjustment tool... I changed the keyboard to the one you suggested now. + Its from PCCG :)

>>> Old Build <<<

Just now, Inspirational said:

I just realised I am paying $30 more just for some volume adjustment tool... I changed the keyboard to the one you suggested now. + Its from PCCG :)

I wasn't gonna say it.  xD

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

I wasn't gonna say it.  xD

Here is the latest list now

Only the graphics card is from a foreign website... I guess I will have to take the risk?

>>> Old Build <<<

Retailer's warranty is only like 30 days, after that EVGA has your back.

I'm mostly worried about it being damaged via delivery, getting lost in the mail (it has happened before), and the supplier renouncing all claims...

Quick question for you:

Is the monitor connected to the motherboard, or the Graphics card? Both of them seem to have slots that can fit it in... I have a spare monitor which I will also connect, so in my case, which one should the main monitor (and spare monitor)be connected to?

>>> Old Build <<<

25 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I'm mostly worried about it being damaged via delivery, getting lost in the mail (it has happened before), and the supplier renouncing all claims...

Quick question for you:

Is the monitor connected to the motherboard, or the Graphics card? Both of them seem to have slots that can fit it in... I have a spare monitor which I will also connect, so in my case, which one should the main monitor (and spare monitor)be connected to?

Your main monitor will be connected to the GPU.  A secondary monitor can be run with the iGPU on the i7 6700K, or on the GPU as well.  It is your choice, you can play around with it.  The GTX 1070 is a very strong card so you can have two monitors hooked up while playing demanding games even.  If the time should ever come that games need all that GPU power, then you can disable the secondary monitor while you game or... hook it up to the iGPU (i7 6700K).

31 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Your main monitor will be connected to the GPU.  A secondary monitor can be run with the iGPU on the i7 6700K, or on the GPU as well.  It is your choice, you can play around with it.  The GTX 1070 is a very strong card so you can have two monitors hooked up while playing demanding games even.  If the time should ever come that games need all that GPU power, then you can disable the secondary monitor while you game or... hook it up to the iGPU (i7 6700K).

What's iGPU?

Also, my old monitor uses VGA (the blue one). And the new monitor (I think) uses DVI. In this case will there be enough slots for both? 

This may have been something we overlooked... It looks like only the GPU has a DVI slot...

Spoiler

Z170-AR-fe_05.jpg08G-P4-6276-KR.jpg

Since I have never owned a high end monitor; does the 4k monitors, or those large 24:9 aspect ratio monitors still use VGA/DVI? Or do they use HDMI (or something else all together)? 

>>> Old Build <<<

1 hour ago, Inspirational said:

What's iGPU?

Also, my old monitor uses VGA (the blue one). And the new monitor (I think) uses DVI. In this case will there be enough slots for both? 

This may have been something we overlooked... It looks like only the GPU has a DVI slot...

Since I have never owned a high end monitor; does the 4k monitors, or those large 24:9 aspect ratio monitors still use VGA/DVI? Or do they use HDMI (or something else all together)? 

iGPU - Integrated Graphics Processing Unit:  i-Core processors come equipped with a GPU embedded into the CPU die.  Actually, with current CPUs, half of the die is GPU... seriously. 

dGPU - Discrete Graphics Processing Unit:  The GTX 1070 is a dGPU.

Your old monitor will have to use an adapter, DVI-to-VGA.  Your new monitor will probably have both DVI and HDMI.  It might even have DP(Display Port).

For a 4K monitor, you will either use the available HDMI2, Dual-link DVI or DP.  These are located on the GPU. 

You won't need to use the iGPU.  Everything will run fine off of the GTX 1070.

On 27/09/2016 at 8:19 PM, stconquest said:

Hey yo!

I found this business that sells some PC parts for about $5-$10 cheaper than your average online shop. They are a reliable source that have been around for a long time.

I was going through their parts and found that many of the ones I was looking for are available there too. Some weren't. Such as the PSU. Any chance you can have a look at this list and suggest one that is about the same price as the one we picked? 

Spoiler

PSUs.PNG

Not signed in

And a similar case with the GPU: (Would be really convenient if I could grab the GPU from here, instead of the other online store + no postage charges!)

Spoiler

GPUs.PNG

Not signed in

And the CPU Cooler:

Spoiler

COOLERs.PNG

Not signed in

Also here is the latest list with updated prices.

Feel free to give their whole catalogue a look too if you feel like it :)

>>> Old Build <<<

2 hours ago, Inspirational said:

Hey yo!

I found this business that sells some PC parts for about $5-$10 cheaper than your average online shop. They are a reliable source that have been around for a long time.

I was going through their parts and found that many of the ones I was looking for are available there too. Some weren't. Such as the PSU. Any chance you can have a look at this list and suggest one that is about the same price as the one we picked? 

Reveal hidden contents

PSUs.PNG

Not signed in

And a similar case with the GPU: (Would be really convenient if I could grab the GPU from here, instead of the other online store + no postage charges!)

Reveal hidden contents

GPUs.PNG

Not signed in

And the CPU Cooler:

Reveal hidden contents

COOLERs.PNG

Not signed in

Also here is the latest list with updated prices.

Feel free to give their whole catalogue a look too if you feel like it :)

I have done entire builds at MSY.

The Antec HCG (High Current Gamer) is decent... 520W or 620W will be fine.  Semi modular.

The GPUs are not that great (1070s).  The EVGA FTW is a better deal by far.  If you want to go with the MSI Armor ($695 - It's white and black) to go pick it up, that is fine.

The Gammax 300 is a basic cooler for $24.  It will be fine running the 6700K at stock speeds.  When you want to really push the clock, you will need to upgrade it though.  I picked it over the Gammax 400 because of noise.  The 400 is a better cooler, but it is a lot louder.

The Antec HCG (High Current Gamer) is decent... 520W or 620W will be fine.  Semi modular.

You don't sound too confident... We could just stick to the current one.

The GPUs are not that great (1070s). 

The ones on that list, or in general?

The EVGA FTW is a better deal by far.  If you want to go with the MSI Armor ($695 - It's white and black) to go pick it up, that is fine.

I'll order the EVGA from that Shopping Express website if it is better.

The Gammax 300 is a basic cooler for $24.  It will be fine running the 6700K at stock speeds.  When you want to really push the clock, you will need to upgrade it though.  I picked it over the Gammax 400 because of noise.  The 400 is a better cooler, but it is a lot louder.

Hmm... I will probably attempt to clock the CPU when I get it... However, I don't expect crazy over clocking. Note that I plan on getting an AIO Kraken (or something similar) 2-3 years down the track, so the fan will be upgraded eventually.

But I still want a decent fan

>>> Old Build <<<

7 hours ago, Inspirational said:

You don't sound too confident... We could just stick to the current one.

The ones on that list, or in general?

I'll order the EVGA from that Shopping Express website if it is better.

Hmm... I will probably attempt to clock the CPU when I get it... However, I don't expect crazy over clocking. Note that I plan on getting an AIO Kraken (or something similar) 2-3 years down the track, so the fan will be upgraded eventually.

But I still want a decent fan

The HCG PSU is fine.  Also, in the Bronze section:  They have the Corsair CX550M/CX650M/etc..  Those are decent as well.  I actually just picked up the CX550M last week for $65 CAD.  They have the grey sticker on the side.

They have the Noctua DH15 ($115):  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vzv6h/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15

That is the best air cooler on the market and would rival the Kraken X61 water cooler.

10 hours ago, stconquest said:

The HCG PSU is fine.  Also, in the Bronze section:  They have the Corsair CX550M/CX650M/etc..  Those are decent as well.  I actually just picked up the CX550M last week for $65 CAD.  They have the grey sticker on the side.

I ended up grabbing the Corsair PSU.

They have the Noctua DH15 ($115):  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vzv6h/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15

That is the best air cooler on the market and would rival the Kraken X61 water cooler.

Before jumping onto a powerful CPU cooler, I'd prefer starting with a "decent" one that will allow minor overclocking (just so I can get a feel of how overclocking works), then in the future, if I need that extra overclocking power, I'll upgrade the cooler.

What do you think about these? This is what matters most: Performance > Price > Looks

>>> Old Build <<<

9 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I ended up grabbing the Corsair PSU.

Before jumping onto a powerful CPU cooler, I'd prefer starting with a "decent" one that will allow minor overclocking (just so I can get a feel of how overclocking works), then in the future, if I need that extra overclocking power, I'll upgrade the cooler.

What do you think about these? This is what matters most: Performance > Price > Looks

The H5s are the best of that list.  The Ultimate is best, and the Universal a close second and it is white on top.  the Universal has a thinner fan which means it pushes a bit less air.

@Inspirational  The 212X is a good cooler, it will be loud though.  I have the 212 EVO and I replaced the fan after a week.  That is more cost if the noise bothers you.  I paid $35 for the 212, then $13 for a better fan.

The H5s are the best of that list.  The Ultimate is best, and the Universal a close second and it is white on top.  the Universal has a thinner fan which means it pushes a bit less air.

What about H5 Ultimate ($70) vs Cooler Master Hyper ($50)?

For $20 less, would it be better to purchase the Cooler Master? Keep in mind that I will eventually upgrade these, so I don't plan on holding onto them for more than 2 or so years.

>>> Old Build <<<

What about H5 Ultimate ($70) vs Cooler Master Hyper ($50)?

For $20 less, would it be better to purchase the Cooler Master? Keep in mind that I will eventually upgrade these, so I don't plan on holding onto them for more than 2 or so years.

See above.  The H5 is a bigger chunk of metal and will cool a good deal better.  The 212 is also loud.

7 minutes ago, stconquest said:

@Inspirational  The 212X is a good cooler, it will be loud though.  I have the 212 EVO and I replaced the fan after a week.  That is more cost if the noise bothers you.  I paid $35 for the 212, then $13 for a better fan.

Sound isn't a problem for me :)

>>> Old Build <<<

Sound isn't a problem for me :)

Then it is up to you.  I'd expect at least 15% better cooling with the H5... let me find some tech reviews.... brb.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Then it is up to you.  I'd expect at least 15% better cooling with the H5...

Hmm... I thought that the higher CFM (CoolerM. 82 with max potential of 2000RPM) would be better than the Cryorig with a CFM of 76 and max 1300 RPM... I know the Cryorig is 2mm larger, but that's quite a small amount, I don't think it will provide any significant amount of additional airflow. 

But that's just my thought process. I may be wrong.

>>> Old Build <<<

3 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Hmm... I thought that the higher CFM (CoolerM. 82 with max potential of 2000RPM) would be better than the Cryorig with a CFM of 76 and max 1300 RPM... I know the Cryorig is 2mm larger, but that's quite a small amount, I don't think it will provide any significant amount of additional airflow. 

But that's just my thought process. I may be wrong.

Surface area of the metal and design features like added heat pipes are more important than CFMs, at a certain level of airflow.  The H5 is just a better chunk of metal all around.

@Inspirational  Maybe you are right to look at the 212:

b1.jpg