This monster is alive! (almost)

Inspirational
Go to solution Solved by Inspirational,
2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I looked at more testing.  The H5 really performs.  It is a higher tier cooler.

I made some changes, and it seems as though everything is now complete. The build is JUST under $2500.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vdfcxY

46 minutes ago, stconquest said:

yup

SO I put in the old Adapter and as I assumed, it reached much slower speeds than the new one. 11mb/s (new one) vs 0.8mb/s (old one).

With that being said... I tested Rocket League and the game worked perfectly fine. There were no "adjusting" that happened online (like the new adapter was causing). Odd. THis was close range by the way.

When I moved the desktop back to its original spot 7.5 metres away from the router, the "adjusting problem" would resume. 

So the NEW adapter is horrible for both close and far ranges (but good enough download speeds). The OLD adapter is good at close range, but horrible at far (and much slower download speed).

Also, as a side note, my EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW never seems to have the fans spinning... Is this normal? I am going to install a GPU temperature monitoring software and then load a heavy game and see how the temperature does. I wonder if they only turn on when the GPU is hot? 

This is the current build I am working on:

>>>> The $2500 ($1900 US) Desktop <<<<

>>> Old Build <<<

LAST UPDATED: 30-September-16 / 05:38PM (Sydney Time) 

1 minute ago, Inspirational said:

SO I put in the old Adapter and as I assumed, it reached much slower speeds than the new one. 11mb/s (new one) vs 0.8mb/s (old one).

With that being said... I tested Rocket League and the game worked perfectly fine. There were no "adjusting" that happened online (like the new adapter was causing). Odd. THis was close range by the way.

When I moved the desktop back to its original spot 7.5 metres away from the router, the "adjusting problem" would resume. 

So the NEW adapter is horrible for both close and far ranges (but good enough download speeds). The OLD adapter is good at close range, but horrible at far (and much slower download speed).

Also, as a side note, my EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW never seems to have the fans spinning... Is this normal? I am going to install a GPU temperature monitoring software and then load a heavy game and see how the temperature does. I wonder if they only turn on when the GPU is hot? 

I would tinker with the software of the new wireless adapter.  Do some reading, search their official forums and even contact them directly.  They may have a solution, provided it is not a hardware issue.  If it is a hardware issue, use that warranty or get a refund.

lol, the card is too cool?  xD  Yeah, I would monitor the temps as I play... your card is probably fine. 

19 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I would tinker with the software of the new wireless adapter.  Do some reading, search their official forums and even contact them directly.  They may have a solution, provided it is not a hardware issue.  If it is a hardware issue, use that warranty or get a refund.

I'll probably just call them up 2mro and see if they can directly help. I'll also check out the forums later 2night.

lol, the card is too cool?  xD 

I hope so hahaha

Yeah, I would monitor the temps as I play... your card is probably fine. 

I may have seen a video where someone mentioned that the fans don't turn on until the GPU is hot. But I can't fully recall it... We'll find out soon enough with the monitoring :P 

EDIT: Idle Temp is 30-32C.

>>> Old Build <<<

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

What is the load temp?

I was playing Civilization Beyond Earth on the largest map, with 12 civilizations at max settings on about 320 FPS for 20 minutes. The GPU stayed around 47-48C and didnt go up or down after that.

The fans didnt turn on either... However, as I was watching them, they seem to "jitter" every now and then. Maybe 1mm.

>>> Old Build <<<

3 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I was playing Civilization Beyond Earth on the largest map, with 12 civilizations at max settings on about 320 FPS for 20 minutes. The GPU stayed around 47-48C and didnt go up or down after that.

The fans didnt turn on either... However, as I was watching them, they seem to "jitter" every now and then. Maybe 1mm.

You should be able to have more control of the fans.  I don't have a Nvidia card so I don't know for sure how.  I manually control my GPU fans for every case.  If I know a game needs it, I set it high (60%)... if I am not sure (new game), I spend a little time to test first.  My fans are at 30% most of the time, I don't have a zero-mode though.

You will learn the best way for you.

17 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You should be able to have more control of the fans.  I don't have a Nvidia card so I don't know for sure how.  I manually control my GPU fans for every case.  If I know a game needs it, I set it high (60%)... if I am not sure (new game), I spend a little time to test first.  My fans are at 30% most of the time, I don't have a zero-mode though.

You will learn the best way for you.

I looked around and couldn't find an official Nvidia GPU fan control software :(

The closest I got was this page, however, if you look at the image, it contains a "performance" section that my Nvidia control panel doesnt have... Perhaps these fans can't be controlled? 

>>> Old Build <<<

8 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I looked around and couldn't find an official Nvidia GPU fan control software :(

The closest I got was this page, however, if you look at the image, it contains a "performance" section that my Nvidia control panel doesnt have... Perhaps these fans can't be controlled? 

I know for a fact that you can set a custom fan curve.  That means you can decide when the fans start to spin.  There are third party programs like MSI Afterburner or even Speedfan, that will take control of the fans.

Take your time, there is no rush to get all this done.  The GPU will be fine.

@Inspirational  Oh, I forgot about "EVGA Precision".  Try that out.  http://eu.evga.com/precision/

Just now, stconquest said:

I know for a fact that you can set a custom fan curve.  That means you can decide when the fans start to spin.  There are third party programs like MSI Afterburner or even Speedfan, that will take control of the fans.

Take your time, there is no rush to get all this done.  The GPU will be fine.

Speaking of custom fan curves... I was playing around in the bios and changed my cpu fans curve. From what I remember I set it 20-32C = 20%. 33-40C = 21%-50%, and lastly 40+C = Max...

Now I am still playing around with the fans, however, from your experience with CPUs and their heating... What is a good scale to set the fans curve?

Also, I touched upon overclocking the CPU with the ASUS mobo prebuilt EZ Overclocking or whatever it was called, and enabled TPU II which pushed the CPU to 4.6Ghz. It says that the CPU is OC to about 15%. What does that 15% mean? And also, is there any chance I can safely push it to 5ghz? I'm sure my h5 universal fan should be able to handle it + the 4 fans that the case comes with...

I'll check out the other software for the GPU fan. I'm gonna run Skyrim for a bit and see how hot it gets (and if the fans turn on).

>>> Old Build <<<

2 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Speaking of custom fan curves... I was playing around in the bios and changed my cpu fans curve. From what I remember I set it 20-32C = 20%. 33-40C = 21%-50%, and lastly 40+C = Max...

Now I am still playing around with the fans, however, from your experience with CPUs and their heating... What is a good scale to set the fans curve?

Also, I touched upon overclocking the CPU with the ASUS mobo prebuilt EZ Overclocking or whatever it was called, and enabled TPU II which pushed the CPU to 4.6Ghz. It says that the CPU is OC to about 15%. What does that 15% mean? And also, is there any chance I can safely push it to 5ghz? I'm sure my h5 universal fan should be able to handle it + the 4 fans that the case comes with...

I'll check out the other software for the GPU fan. I'm gonna run Skyrim for a bit and see how hot it gets (and if the fans turn on).

40 degrees is not hot for a CPU, I would not have fans at max for that temp.  Jump to around 65 degrees for max fan speed.

For overclocking, 15% means 15% of the stock clock speed (15% of 4.0GHz = 600MHz/0.6GHz).  Do not use the automatic overclocking features if you are going to push your CPU... that is 100% the wrong way to overclock.

What you want to do is manually set your voltages based off of the capability of your unique piece of silicon.  Auto-OC features will overcompensate for the increased speed by throwing much more voltage at the CPU than is needed.  CPU overclocking is to be fine tuned, manually.  That way you will get more speed and less heat.

25 minutes ago, stconquest said:

40 degrees is not hot for a CPU, I would not have fans at max for that temp.  Jump to around 65 degrees for max fan speed.

For overclocking, 15% means 15% of the stock clock speed (15% of 4.0GHz = 600MHz/0.6GHz).  Do not use the automatic overclocking features if you are going to push your CPU... that is 100% the wrong way to overclock.

What you want to do is manually set your voltages based off of the capability of your unique piece of silicon.  Auto-OC features will overcompensate for the increased speed by throwing much more voltage at the CPU than is needed.  CPU overclocking is to be fine tuned, manually.  That way you will get more speed and less heat.

I found this software called EVGA Precision and oh wow! It contains everything about the GPU. I didnt know my GPU supported RGB lighting, but apparenmtlyl it does! I made it blue now instead of the original while colour. Why does the GPU not mention anything about this software?! It's official too!

This software is insane! So many customisation options! I set the GPU fan curve to the preset "aggressive" That should do the trick for now, untill I decide to make a custom one.

>>> Old Build <<<

27 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Is there any harm in keeping the GPU fans at 100% at all times? I don't mind the sound.

>>> Old Build <<<

On 12/10/2016 at 1:44 AM, stconquest said:

They wear out faster.

Hey I have been keeping an eye on my GPU fans for a few days now and I have noticed that they are not always on at the same time. The EVGA I have came with 2 fans. However, when software or a game is open, one of them would occasionally jump up to full speed while the other one stays completely off. Is this normal?

I have fan curves set up on the EVGA software, however, the GPU just seems to randomly jump up to full speed (really loud, sometimes I can even hear some sort of a clicking sound) for a few seconds, and then it jumps straight down. Initially I thought it was the tower's fans that were doing this, however, upon further inspection it turns out it is the GPU fans.

Any idea what is going in? Is the GPU faulty?

EDIT: I have the latest drivers installed for the GPU, and I am using the official EVGA software to set up a fan curve and lighting for the GPU...

>>> Old Build <<<

19 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Hey I have been keeping an eye on my GPU fans for a few days now and I have noticed that they are not always on at the same time. The EVGA I have came with 2 fans. However, when software or a game is open, one of them would occasionally jump up to full speed while the other one stays completely off. Is this normal?

I have fan curves set up on the EVGA software, however, the GPU just seems to randomly jump up to full speed (really loud, sometimes I can even hear some sort of a clicking sound) for a few seconds, and then it jumps straight down. Initially I thought it was the tower's fans that were doing this, however, upon further inspection it turns out it is the GPU fans.

Any idea what is going in? Is the GPU faulty?

EDIT: I have the latest drivers installed for the GPU, and I am using the official EVGA software to set up a fan curve and lighting for the GPU...

When you set the custom fan curve in Precision, do you close Precision?  You have to have Precision active or the bios will take back control.

Try having it at a minimum of 30% fan speed, no passive mode.

25 minutes ago, stconquest said:

When you set the custom fan curve in Precision, do you close Precision?  You have to have Precision active or the bios will take back control.

Try having it at a minimum of 30% fan speed, no passive mode.

This is the interface I see. The minimum is set to 40%

Spoiler

sds.PNG

Not signed in

>>> Old Build <<<

Just now, Inspirational said:

This is the interface I see. The minimum is set to 40%

sds.PNG

Okay, so the fans should never stop then.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Okay, so the fans should never stop then.

I'm gonna experiment some more with the fans, however, do you know why sometimes only one fan spins?

>>> Old Build <<<

Just now, Inspirational said:

I'm gonna experiment some more with the fans, however, do you know why sometimes only one fan spins?

Glitch.  I have seen a few videos (I looked up your issue a bit), the dual fans don't always start up at the same time... just weird.

• 1 month later...
On 15/10/2016 at 1:09 AM, stconquest said:

Glitch.  I have seen a few videos (I looked up your issue a bit), the dual fans don't always start up at the same time... just weird.

It turns out that I got a faulty GPU. I sent it back and waited for the 3 weeks process of it being delivered back to EVGA and then back to my store.

Apparently the fans were not working as they were supposed to.

Anyway, now that the issue was fixed the PC is running beautifully. I know this is reviving a dead post, however, I really wanted to thank you for your help :)

Have a great day!

>>> Old Build <<<

1 minute ago, Inspirational said:

It turns out that I got a faulty GPU. I sent it back and waited for the 3 weeks process of it being delivered back to EVGA and then back to my store.

Apparently the fans were not working as they were supposed to.

Anyway, now that the issue was fixed the PC is running beautifully. I know this is reviving a dead post, however, I really wanted to thank you for your help :)

Have a great day!

Glad to hear good 'ole EVGA came through for you.  :D

You have a great day too.

...and you are welcome.