A Good Gaming PC For Beginners(AMD and Intel Versions)

NathanahtaN

So i don't know where this particular topic best belongs, so if by chance it need to be in a different place, the please movie it to the right place.

So i have a habbit of putting part lists together of parts that i think would make a good PC, now i don't have the budget to go making these PC's a reality so these are only ideas which i want to share with you all, so i made what i thought would be a good Beginner Gamer PC, both PC's are essentialy the same except one is powered by AMD, the other by Intel

The way i built these PC's were based off of three games one which is CPU intensive, One that is RAM Intensive and One that is GPU Intensive, these games helped me to mould together the specs of these PC's(Don't ask me what games i used but GTA V is apparently the most gpu intensive game, needing 6gb's vram to run it at maximum graphics)

So from what i researched a 2.6ghz 4 core, 16gb ram, 6gb gpu pc is perfect to run all if not most games at 60fps in max settings(i'm not accounting resoloution)

So here goes

A Good Gaming PC For Beginners(AMD)

CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

A Good Gaming PC For Beginners(Intel)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus B150M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Of course the coice between these two comes down to the individual, but because i am an AMD fanboy i would pick the AMD system hands down.

What Do You Think?

If i told you my rig, it would be this, my dream rig makes supercomputers look weak and in serious need of upgrading

57 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

Sorry to say this but both configurations sucks. Especially A8 + 1060... and what in the world is that SSD combination?

Gimmie a break, ok i have not quite mastered the fine art of knowing what parts are good and what parts suck, besides i was trying to keep both pc's at relatively the same level, give or take.

like my gpu choice i think was on point if GTA V takes 6gb vram at 1080p then a 1060 is perfect, no need for a 1070, 1080 or titan x pascall.

If i told you my rig, it would be this, my dream rig makes supercomputers look weak and in serious need of upgrading

15 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Both PC's are more unbalanced than a Elephant on a pogo stick

Define unbalanced for the uneducated(aka me)

3 hours ago, NathanahtaN said:

Gimmie a break, ok i have not quite mastered the fine art of knowing what parts are good and what parts suck, besides i was trying to keep both pc's at relatively the same level, give or take.

like my gpu choice i think was on point if GTA V takes 6gb vram at 1080p then a 1060 is perfect, no need for a 1070, 1080 or titan x pascall.

Okayyyy... based on what you've said : 'uneducated', let me explain a little bit more.

APUs are intended to use their own integrated graphics, not the dGPU(normal VGAs that we put).

So when you are going to put a dedicated graphics card on your system, in most cases, it's way better to use Intel CPU.

Just keep watch what's going on here in LTT and see bunch of good configurations. Then you will be better.

AMD build:

CPU: there's no need for the graphics portion of an APU if you are going to use a GTX-1060. A better choice would be a Athlon X4 860K or similar.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/amd-athlon-x4-860k-black-e7-126135.htm

Cooler: the stock cooler that comes with the 860K ( or the A8) is good enough.

Storage: it would be more practical, for this sort of build, to use a 1TB hard drive instead of a 1TB SSD. You could also just use a single 500G SSD instead of the 256G + 1TB.

Graphics: Since it's an AMD build, why not use an RX 470 or 480? (Not that there's anything wrong with the GTX-1060.)

PSU: The power supply is overkill for this build. A basic Corsair CX550M 80+ bronze is enough.

Intel build:

CPU: The i5-6500's clock speed boost over the 6400 is worth the extra cost.

Cooler: The stock cooler that comes with an i5-6400/6500 is enough. A cheap cooler such as a CM Hyper 101i or TX3 is quieter and cooler (than stock). The Noctua is overkill for a non-overclocked system.

Storage: Same as the AMD build.

PSU: Same as the AMD build.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

5 hours ago, Quaker said:

AMD build:

CPU: there's no need for the graphics portion of an APU if you are going to use a GTX-1060. A better choice would be a Athlon X4 860K or similar.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/amd-athlon-x4-860k-black-e7-126135.htm

Huh, i'm surprised Athlon is still a thing after all these years, last time i heard of athlon was Athlon 64(or was it Athalon XP)

Cooler: the stock cooler that comes with the 860K ( or the A8) is good enough.

Oh(Surprised look on face)

Storage: it would be more practical, for this sort of build, to use a 1TB hard drive instead of a 1TB SSD. You could also just use a single 500G SSD instead of the 256G + 1TB.

I had speed at the front when i chose the storage, and ssd's are faster than hdd.

Graphics: Since it's an AMD build, why not use an RX 470 or 480? (Not that there's anything wrong with the GTX-1060.)

From what i have been reading people are putting NVidia's gpu's over AMD's(except those AMD fanboys of course)

PSU: The power supply is overkill for this build. A basic Corsair CX550M 80+ bronze is enough.

Fair Enough

Intel build:

CPU: The i5-6500's clock speed boost over the 6400 is worth the extra cost.

Ok then

Cooler: The stock cooler that comes with an i5-6400/6500 is enough. A cheap cooler such as a CM Hyper 101i or TX3 is quieter and cooler (than stock). The Noctua is overkill for a non-overclocked system.

Sounds fair enough

Storage: Same as the AMD build.

PSU: Same as the AMD build.

6 hours ago, PenPoint said:

Okayyyy... based on what you've said : 'uneducated', let me explain a little bit more.

APUs are intended to use their own integrated graphics, not the dGPU(normal VGAs that we put).

So when you are going to put a dedicated graphics card on your system, in most cases, it's way better to use Intel CPU.

Just keep watch what's going on here in LTT and see bunch of good configurations. Then you will be better.

To be fair my system has an AMD APU and and a GeForce GTX 960 2gb GPU, i run everything off my gpu, personally if i had the money, i would have went for the AMD FX 9590, that thing is the best(ignoring the heat part of it) 4.7ghz and 8 cores, effing thumbs up to AMD(Intel should take a page from the AMD Book about cores and clock speeds)

18 hours ago, NathanahtaN said:

Huh, i'm surprised Athlon is still a thing after all these years, last time i heard of athlon was Athlon 64(or was it Athalon XP)

I had speed at the front when i chose the storage, and ssd's are faster than hdd.

From what i have been reading people are putting NVidia's gpu's over AMD's(except those AMD fanboys of course)

"Athlon" is now basically the name for APUs without the graphics portion. AMD keeps re-using the Athlon name just like Intel keeps using Pentium and Celeron.

Speed is nice, but 1TB SSDs are still very expensive. You don't need the speed so much for bulk storage like mp3s, etc.

The nVidia GPUs may be marginally better, but it depends a bit on price, plus you said you were an AMD fan.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

21 hours ago, NathanahtaN said:

To be fair my system has an AMD APU and and a GeForce GTX 960 2gb GPU, i run everything off my gpu, personally if i had the money, i would have went for the AMD FX 9590, that thing is the best(ignoring the heat part of it) 4.7ghz and 8 cores, effing thumbs up to AMD(Intel should take a page from the AMD Book about cores and clock speeds)

AMD's processor architecture and quality is just worse than intel. There is no way in hell that AMD can get 8 cores and 4.1ghz clock speed at the same or better quality than intel for the same price. They won't be able to make money like that. The FX 9590 is like the equivalent of a i5 3rd or 4th gen quad core processor.

On 9/24/2016 at 1:23 PM, NathanahtaN said:

Define unbalanced for the uneducated(aka me)

Your having A8-7600 with a Noctua, the Noctua will freeze it

Having to spend all that money on SSD's and not get a better CPU is really stupid....

Your choice of other components such as the PSU, SSD's, Case etc...is not really balanced with the CPU of choice, and in AMD's case the whole platform