HD6870 Cant install drivers.

YouMaCry

Hi
My(bought used) xfx hd 6870 (GPU is not detected) i can run it on default windows VGA mode, but if i try to install drivers it just stays on black screen  till reset, then goes back to vga mode(GPU-Z cant recognize GPU )

I5 2500k
8gb ram
hd6870 (
asus p8p67 deluxe
Windows 10 64bit

anyone got  any ideas for a fix ?

when using hd7970 xt no issues

What does it appear as in device manager? Does it actually output video thought the ports on graphics card? if it does and appears on device manager see what driver it uses, try to uninstall it and give it a reboot so windows picks up a default driver

after several reboots  pc  detected  gpu, but i am still unable to install drivers(gpu works with windows default/generic drivers) screen goes black and pc crash i guess..... after some time it just turns off.

1 hour ago, YouMaCry said:

after several reboots  pc  detected  gpu, but i am still unable to install drivers(gpu works with windows default/generic drivers) screen goes black and pc crash i guess..... after some time it just turns off.

Are you installing the correct drivers? 

You need 32 bit drivers if you have a 32bit OS. 15.7.1 is the last non-beta driver for the 6xxx series, or 16.2.1 for the beta version. Try the non-beta if you have issues with the beta driver. 

Also have you uninstalled previous video card drivers? Use DDU to uninstall them.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

yes. am using DDU to  remove drivers.
i have no issue  when installing 7870 xt drivers for my other  gpu(works like a charm).
but the 6870 is a problem(amd auto driver detector cant  see gpu) GPU works on generic driver

9 minutes ago, YouMaCry said:

yes. am using DDU to  remove drivers.
i have no issue  when installing 7870 xt drivers for my other  gpu(works like a charm).
but the 6870 is a problem(amd auto driver detector cant  see gpu) GPU works on generic driver

The auto detect may not work since the hd 6xxx is legacy now, try manually looking up the card.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

did that , after starting driver install  screen goes black and pc turns off after 5-10 min.

• 5 years later...

This is a really old thread, but it is what came up when I was searching on Google.  The hd 6870 is trash. I recently got one and I needed a cheap solution for hdmi and when I eventually got it to run it doesn't work at all. Hdmi doesn't work and displayport gives me green lines, but more importantly it doesn't work with windows 10. There's only 2 driver options, but both come up with [no am driver installed] after you install them.  Clearly wasn't good back on 2016 and certainly not good in 2022.  I think 6000 series is just no good even with legacy drivers.  Had the same issue with a 6670 the other month.