Question: Sharing Processing Power Between Computers.

Is it possible to share processing power between two computers when they are not near each other? For example, is there a way for me to use my much faster desktop to help me with video editing on my laptop when I am not near the desktop?

Yes, using a 'remote desktop connection' you can access another computer as if you were actually using it (albeit with a little delay)from anywhere with an internet connection. You're best off googling it as it takes some time to explain and there are already millions of decent tutorials.

Depends if you can break up the workload easily, like rendering a simulation. Ultimately it would be something like a very small application of a server farm. Generally speaking, it's more effort than it's worth considering you only have two systems.

The remote desktop idea might be useable, but it requires really snappy connections. You'd probably still have to do the project on your laptop and only send the project data over for the final encode.

You can use the desktop to run a VM on the laptop. 

Other that that, I don't think there's a way to use the desktop to help edit videos on your laptop. 

Rendering on the other hand is something that is more commonly offloaded to another machine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.