Multiple Partitions?

DragonMatt

I've been looking into partitioning my drive to get the most out of it. I have a 1TB HHD and I was wondering if

1. Would I gain any performance increase from partitioning?

2. If so, how should I go about doing it to get the most out of it?

3. I was also thinking of adding an older HDD to my system but I'm not sure what to do with it, the older drive has been spinning for a while so I don't want to do anything to risky. I might just install an image for extra protection. Any better ideas?

I've been looking into partitioning my drive to get the most out of it. I have a 1TB HHD and I was wondering if

1. Would I gain any performance increase from partitioning?

You will not gain any performance. It won't degrade performance either.

But what you will gain, is an easier time re-installing Windows. As you have, lets say 2 partitions, C:\, and D:\.

On C:\ You have Windows.

On D:\ You put your personal file, and your programs and games (why programs and games there?, because it will be your largest partition, so you won't fight with space)

Just so that you know, if you check the properties of folders like My Documents, My Music, My Videos, etc... you have a tab called Location. You can select a corresponding folder in your D:\ drive, so that they are linked together. This will make it invisible to you, where your personal files are (C or D), as you just access them as normal. Why do this? If you need to re-install Windows... well you just can do it. You'll be formatting your C:\ partition to do this, but your D:\ partition where you have all your stuff stays there.

So it makes the process easier, as you don't have to do a special backup for your data... and if your Windows really screws up to a point where you can't boot.. it won't be too problematic. Of course, you must remember that this does not mean you don't have to do your usual backups, if your HDD/SSD fails, then your data on both partition are gone.