brwainer's Server2016 and Veeam Testing and Log

brwainer
5 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Wish I could but we're in the cable/ISP business and I'm nowhere near the few servers we virtualize... Although if I was I think I would have been able to prevent the catastrophic array failure that somehow took down nearly all of our internal systems for days. We basically turned into the most lax ISP you have ever seen, since we had no login system to authentice users against. Anyway, I can't honestly say that my homelab would be practice for, or related to, my work. 

Sounds almost like the IT team also runs one of the major banks over here. Single AD environment for the sign on for their EFTPOS/mobile payment gateway. That server broke with no failover a year or two back and all hell broke out for their business customers.

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

Sounds almost like the IT team also runs one of the major banks over here. Single AD environment for the sign on for their EFTPOS/mobile payment gateway. That server broke with no failover a year or two back and all hell broke out for their business customers.

Our CTO only has formal training as an electrical engineer, and spent more years than I have been alive moving from the low level design work on networks up to the software and routing levels. He's great at network design and implementation, but either hasn't studied or doesn't choose to implement resilient/redundant/fault-tolerant HA architecture for server systems and backend software, and there isn't much trust in the upper management for anyone other than him to set up our software and servers.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

Wish I could but we're in the cable/ISP business and I'm nowhere near the few servers we virtualize... Although if I was I think I would have been able to prevent the catastrophic array failure that somehow took down nearly all of our internal systems for days. We basically turned into the most lax ISP you have ever seen, since we had no login system to authentice users against. Anyway, I can't honestly say that my homelab would be practice for, or related to, my work. 

If I still had my re-sellers account I probably could have gotten you one :P. I'd give it a try anyway I mean they rang me out of the blue and gave me the re-seller account for no reason at all that I can think of.

• 1 month later...

My move to Server 2016, and a massive addition of 8 SSDs to my primary server is complete! The details of all 3 systems have just been added here:

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

My move to Server 2016, and a massive addition of 8 SSDs to my primary server is complete! The details of all 3 systems have just been added here:

Ah damn it, now you have more SSD storage than I do. Challenge accepted xD.

When you created the storage pools did you specify the logical block size in the powershell command? Your performance seems a little low for 10 SSDs. My 6 512GB Pros do 2.5GBps/1.5GBps. http://jeffgraves.me/2014/06/03/ssds-on-storage-spaces-are-killing-your-vms-performance/ 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

When you created the storage pools did you specify the logical block size in the powershell command? Your performance seems a little low for 10 SSDs. My 6 512GB Pros do 2.5GBps/1.5GBps. http://jeffgraves.me/2014/06/03/ssds-on-storage-spaces-are-killing-your-vms-performance/ 

Thanks for the reminder, I do need to check this. But I believe that years ago with my first AF drive, there was one and only one sector size that could be used with storgae spaces - I remember that i couldn't add the new drive to the pool, I had to start a new pool with it.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

So, interestingly, the 2.5" 850 Evo 250Gb report their PhysicalSectorSize as 512 - but every other drive, including the HDDs and the mSata 850 Evo 250GB, are 512e (4K physical). So I'm going to see about moving towards 4KB formatting inside the VMs.

41 minutes ago, brwainer said:

So, interestingly, the 2.5" 850 Evo 250Gb report their PhysicalSectorSize as 512 - but every other drive, including the HDDs and the mSata 850 Evo 250GB, are 512e (4K physical). So I'm going to see about moving towards 4KB formatting inside the VMs.

Yea even the 850 Evo will be 512e, it just doesn't report it correctly which is where some of the blog post stems from.