Planning on getting a second/new display.

drewjn

Computer specs listed in signature, though I plan to probably upgrade gpu to a 1070 or 1080 sometime soon. Current display is a 1440p ips (27"). It can technically oc to 120 (apparently best at 90), but korean imports can be funky about that and I was too lazy to bother.

So I'm looking towards a 24-27" gaming quality monitor, with the standard <2ms response time and ~144hz refresh rate. 1080p is fine, but wouldn't mind 1440p if that is available (already assume that is unlikely). IPS preferred, but also understand that it is far more likely for it to be a tn panel, so I won't be too stringent on that. As I use Nvidea cards, it would be nice if you can suggest g-sync monitors, but that I can also live without.

My expected price range is 300-500 usd or so (soft cap, so I don't mind going over if need be). Any suggestions, brand warnings, etc would be very helpful

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Ips + <2 ms response isnt really a thing. I wouldnt concern yourself with response time, unless you are some "MLG" csgo player the 5ms response time of IPS displays would be fine. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

5 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Ips + <2 ms response isnt really a thing. I wouldnt concern yourself with response time, unless you are some "MLG" csgo player the 5ms response time of IPS displays would be fine. 

Fair enough, as you can see from my request, the only real requirement is size 24-27" and high refresh rate. Beyond that I'm quite open. If you have suggestions on specific monitors with decent reviews, please share.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

1 minute ago, drewjn said:

Fair enough, as you can see from my request, the only real requirement is size 24-27" and high refresh rate. Beyond that I'm quite open. If you have suggestions on specific monitors with decent reviews, please share.

I use a BenQ XL2720z, 1080p, 144hz, panel looks great for a TN. You can also look into the Dell s2417DG, 24", 165hz, 1440p, gsync. there is a 27" variant of that monitor too, but i think its only 144hz.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Is it worth getting the gsync, or is it better to get a decent lower cost monitor without it?

Still new, but learning