Water cooling reference gtx 1080

Anyone know what I can expect with a water cooled reference PCB?

If it is anything like maxwell then Power will be the limiting factor...

any thoughts?

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

8 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Anyone know what I can expect with a water cooled reference PCB?

If it is anything like maxwell then Power will be the limiting factor...

any thoughts?

Expect a fast card.  FE cards overclock very well under water.  No need for the fancy power deliver solutions when overclocking with any type of ambient cooling.

My real concern was the power limit and vrm's. 

2Ghz? 2.3Ghz?

It has to drive a 4K monitor so will be fully loading it all the time 

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

IMO you should go with something like the zotac gtx 1080 articstrom unless you are doing a custom loop or something like that. The waterblock on the zotac covers the full pcb including the vrms.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

3 hours ago, Jaqen said:

My real concern was the power limit and vrm's. 

2Ghz? 2.3Ghz?

It has to drive a 4K monitor so will be fully loading it all the time 

Both of my GTX 1080 FE cards can hold 2200 MHz with EK waterblocks depending on the load.  Valley and Heaven will hold 2200 MHz, but things like 3dMark Time Spy may cause them to vary to somewhere between 2170 to 2200.  Mine stay in the 30's (39c max).  Cooling is more important with Pascal then extra voltage / better power delivery.

You're not going to find many examples of power limit increases or improved VRM's leading to higher overclocks with Pascal.

17 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Both of my GTX 1080 FE cards can hold 2200 MHz with EK waterblocks depending on the load.  Valley and Heaven will hold 2200 MHz, but things like 3dMark Time Spy may cause them to vary to somewhere between 2170 to 2200.  Mine stay in the 30's (39c max).  Cooling is more important with Pascal then extra voltage / better power delivery.

You're not going to find many examples of power limit increases or improved VRM's leading to higher overclocks with Pascal.

Thank you that is useful info, If that holds true for my card (ordered for delivery thursday) then I will be very happy not be bothered with BIOS modding as I found it to be a pain with the 970.

With Maxwell extra voltage was a waste of time and once water-cooled was totally pointless, I found stability was less of a concern above 1500mhz than getting the power usage down, I actually under volted my 970 to hit a higher stable clock speed! Had to increase max TDP from 180W to 225W but that yielded a rock solid 1543mhz core that literally never throttles. 

Anyway I am babbling on, thank you again for the informative post, I was hoping to run into someone with reference pcb under ek blocks to talk to.