Noob Build - My First Time: Part One

Menelaus7

So, I decided to build my first PC.  Why?  I have no real idea, but WTF, right?  All that extra money I could have paid someone else, I just spent on the wrong parts instead.  

Ahhh, the wrong parts.  Let's start here first.  My build is a hybrid for photo/video editing and gaming.  And I like to have a computer that will last me (hopefully) 4-6 years before I feel that I need to upgrade.  I first googled some things about building a PC and that led me to pcpartpicker.com.  Which was awesome.  Just randomly picking parts based upon customer scores for the most part, with very few must items, which you will notice from the parts list. 

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz

PCU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2

Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero ATX

DIMMs: G,Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3000

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB

Storage: 3 x WD Black 6 TB x7200 RPM

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

Case: Corsair 760T White

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W Gold

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

2nd Monitor: ACER XG 270HU

Speakers: Creative Labs Gigaworks T20

I know that if you are actually reading this (yes, you are the only one, so . . . Hi!), you are shaking your head right now with a multitude of thoughts and thinking one or more of the following:  

(1) "OMG - he spent all that money to buy that???!!!  I could have done so much better."  Well, yeah.  So, after I ordered all the parts did I ever actually think to myself that - Hey- maybe I should have gotten some recommendations BEFORE I bought anything - as opposed to after.  Lesson learned, yes, I am an idiot.  

(2) Along the lines of the first:  He bought the i7-6700K which means that he probably wants a gaming rig, but didn't buy the GTX 1080?  Why save the $200 there when he could have reallocated that money anywhere else to get the best card? And if he really wanted to video process, then he should have gotten more cores.  Well, yeah.  There is that.

(3) "18 TBs of HDD Storage?  WTF dude?"  Well, yeah.  This was pretty much a must in my system, with the amount of video and photos we use.  But, I probably didn't need to buy them all at once.  But, these drives aren't that expensive and it keeps the missus happy.  After much decision, I will not run them in RAID as these will be used mostly for storage anyway.  

(4) "No one needs an optical drive anymore.  That was a waste of money."  My PC is actually in my bedroom and we do like to watch blurays on our bedroom TV - so there is a practical use for it.  Of course PC bluray software is a travesty and a scam (yes, I'm looking at you, Cyberlink) - but, there it is.  We do actually write stuff to blurays from time to time also and it is cheap. 

(5) "Why those speakers?"  Again, more for esthetics and to please the missus.  She hates the current setup with the subwoofer and wanted something smaller.  These rated well, for the most part.  Besides, anytime that I am gaming and I want immersion, I can just use my headphones.

(6) "Wow, you really had no clue when you picked those parts, did you?" Oh wait, we did that one before.  But, man, is it true.

Ok, now that we got all that taken care of, let's get back to the build.  So, I ordered most of the parts from either Newegg or BandH because they were very close in price to the other sites and no tax and free shipping!  I did have a change in heart twice while in the ordering/shipping phase.  I switched to the Corsair H100i v2 cooling instead of the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO and I switched from the Corsair 2x16 DIMMs to the G.Skill 2x16 because the Mobo's manual said that the G.Skill were compatible while the Corsair 2x16 were not (as opposed to the 4x8).  Everything came very quickly except the Arctic Silver 5, which for some reason took 10 days.  10 DAYS for something that tiny?  Well, anyway, that was awesome.

So, it is Saturday night past (September 17 for those scoring at home) and it is now 9:00 p.m. because I have seen about a 1000 videos on YouTube on how to build a PC and it should only take me about 2 hours, tops, right?  I gather my parts onto the dining room table and here we go.  I'm excited and nervous and my wife is looking at me with this little smirk, no doubt thinking "You just spent $3K on all this - and you better not f*** it up because you can't call someone to help you fix it."  But she wishes me luck anyway and disappears.

The first step is putting the chip into the mobo.  Asus includes this little chip setter tool in the box, but who needs that, right?  I mean every video I saw which reviewed the mobo, they all just looked at that tool, laughed at it and skipped it entirely.  Ha.  I don't need it either. Just set the chip and push down on the clamp and lock it in place and move on . . . wait, that doesn't look centered. The chip is a little to the left of center.  But, I set the chip down and it didn't move or jiggle and . .. lets try it again.  Hmmm.. that looks even less centered now.  Greeeeaaaaattt.  One more time.  Ugh.  This is supposed to be the easiest part!  WTF.  C'mon.  One last time.... pick up the chip, reseat it again.  Clamp down.  Locked.  Centered.  Whew.  Thank Goodness.  But, now doubt creeps in. 'What if I just f***ed up the chip?  What if it won't work because of that?  I'll have to ship the chip back and wait for a new one.  But, what if they won't take it back because they'll see that the pins were damaged or something?  First step and I f**ked it up already.  Alright, there is that, but lets keep moving anyway.  Just keep swimming!  Next step.

That's easy.  Let's put the DIMMs in, because that is even easier than setting the chip. Right?  I mean who can screw that up.  Open the box and I gotta say, the DIMMs look really cool.  Really nice heat spreaders on them.  Got black and red to match the mobo, which of course was totally luck, but hey, I used the Force man!  So, check the mobo manual and it says to set them in A2 and B2.  Put the first one in.  Snap.  Good to go.  Move to the second.  Hmmm. Not fitting. Push a bit more.  Definitely not fitting.  Pick up the DIMM.  Ahhhh. You idiot.  Putting it in the wrong way.  Forgot to match the little divot to the board.  Flip it around.  Snap.  Good.  Only 1/2 hour in.  Only 1 1/2 hours to go.  

Now, the hard part.  What do I do next.  Do I seat the mobo into the case first?  Or should I install the H100i first?  Well, let's defer that decision until later.  I can install the backplate for the CPU cooler first.  Pull out the instructions for the Corsair H100i v2 and how to install it.  These instructions look like they were translated from some foreign language by someone who doesn't understand English very well.  But, I do my best.  There are two brackets in the box, and a whole lot of double ended screws.  So, matching the pictures to the screws, I think I have that figured pretty easily.  Just match the back plate to the holes on the mobo and move on . . . wait, those holes aren't aligning.  Do I have to squeeze the back plate (it is plastic and pliable, after all) so that the holes match up?  That can't be right.  God!  This is going so well. Look at the manual again.  Oh!  The ends of the backplate adjust.  I have a 1151 type chipset, so move them in . . . and look at that.  It fits perfectly.  So, apparently, it was written just fine, with lots of nice pictures and it is me who can't read.  So, attach the two sided screws with the "longer" ends into the four ends of the backplate and that's set.  

Now, real decision time.  Do I seat the mobo first or do I install the CPU cooler.  Let's defer that decision again until I deal with the case.  Now, let me say, this case is beautiful.  and BIG.  Very big.  I think Bigfoot can build a home in here.  Its that big.  I open the doors and remove them, so I can have better access.  Take out the box with all the screws.  Open it.  Damn! There are like a dozen bags in there with tiny little screws.  Put them to the side.  The case comes with 6 x 3.5" drive cages and 4 x 2.5 drive cages and 3 "optical" drive cages (see, I forgot that size... is it 5" or 5.5").  It also comes with 3 x 140 fans (2 in the front and one in the back.  Did I mention that there is a LOT of space in here? 

Now, I have to make a decision.  Motherboard or PCU cooler installation?  I decide on the PCU cooler.  I am a little worried about doing this first because I think that the actual cooler that goes over the processor is pretty heavy and what if it falls onto the mobo while I am trying to install it? Those tubes are rather stiff and I could just see that those tubes will pull thei piece from whereever I put it and it crashes on to the mobo.  That could cause damage to the mobo or the processor and that would suck ass (as opposed to what I have already done to it).  But, I figure that it still makes more sense to install it now, and try to keep it out of the way.  

Hmmm. Where should I put the CPU cooler?  Most of the videos I have seen have them on the top, and a few at the front of the case.  I figured the top is the easiest.  Let's remove the 3.5" drive cages first.  It will allow more room for the power cables and if I decide to move the fans and all, and place them elsewhere, it will be easier.  Ok.  I'm still concerned about the processor cooler. So, I do what any normal person would do.  I defer again.  

Let's install the power supply.  Open that box and pull it out.  Put all the cables to the side for later.  Ok. Let's move it to the case.  Easy enough.  Corsair case, corsair PSU, should have no problems.  Now, which of these damned screws do I use?  Hmmm.  The stupid case manual mentions all the screws and what they are used for.  But, they must have overlooked the PSU.  They talk about mobo screws, and fan screws and all the other uses for the screws but not the power supply.  Did I mention that this manual did not seem to be written in English very well?  They must have forgotten that those little ones must also be used with the power supply.  Right?  They seem to fit the holes in the case.  Ok.  One in each corner.  Hmmm.. That would seem to be logical, but the hole in the upper left of the case does not have a corresponding hole in the PSU.  I learn that after trying to put one in there anyway, leaving a little scratch on the PSU.  Oops.  Hey, there are three holes on the bottom which seem to match up.  Ok.  Let's do that instead.  Bingo!  Let's move on.

So, now back to installing the CPU cooler.  I decide to put it on top of the case.   That is what most people did with them from the videos, and who am I but a sheep?  Let's go with the majority.  Surprisingly, I am able to install it with very little issue.  Although I'm hoping I put the fans in the right direction.  The fans that came with the cooler don't have any little arrows on them (or at least none that I can see anyway), but read that the side with the "X" across the fan is out.  So, I put them facing downwards into the case.  Three inputs and one output (at the back).  (BTW, I did remember to position the power supply fan facing downwards, just in case you were wondering). So, I get the radiator installed pretty good.  Although those tiny little screws do not make things easier.  Trying to align the cooler with this tiny screw is a little like shooting in the dark.  But, I managed it and installed it with no real complications.  BTW, I bought one of those magnetizers for my screwdrivers.  Just stick your screwdriver in the hole and move it in and out a few times (and that sounded very sexual).. but, anyway, that thing was awesome for picking up all the screws.  Totally recommend it.

Ok.  Now I will install the motherboard.  I mean how hard can that be?  Every video that I saw, I mean, it was the easiest step.  Right?  First, gotta install the IO plate.  Hey, I remembered that!  Just snap it into place and move . . . that isn't "snapping so easy.  Let's try it again.  Push on the side and push on the other side and nothing.  Again.  Push and push. .and finally, it snaps into place.  

Let's move onto the motherboard.  Align with the IO shield and move . . . Wait? Why isn't this working?  The mobo risers don't seem to be aligning with the holes.  Some seem pretty far off.  Push the mobo back into position. . .. and F***!!!! Why isn't this aligning up?  Now, the IO shield has this little cushion on the inside.  No one mentioned that before in the videos.  Was I supposed to remove that before I installed it?  Maybe that little bit of cushion is preventing the darned thing from lining up?  Move the mobo to the side and pull out the IO Shield.  Look at that cushion thing.  That seems fairly attached.  I'm convinced that it is supposed to be there and not be removed.  Put it back in and it snaps right in.  Yes!  Grab the mobo and align and damned if this won't fit.  Check the risers in the case.  They seem to be set in the right positions (it came preset for an ATX case, after all.).  Meanwhile, I'm wondering if I'm screwing up the mobo with all this "in-out" of the case.  I could be damaging the thing.  Which would suck.  Would Asus take it back because I'm a moron who damanged the thing while trying to install it? And, wait a second, that seemed to snap in.  Don't know what I did. But it seemed to work.  Let's move on.  Let's get the screws. Famous last words.

I look through the case manual again. Trying to match up the pictures of the screws with what I actually have.  Those screws look similar... lets try them.  Nope, not even close.  How about these?  They don't seem to work either.  I'll look through the clear packets of screws, dump them into little bowls, look at them some more.  Hmmm.  The holes that they screw into are small, but the holes on the mobo are larger.  God.  Did I misplace a pack of screws?  Move everything around on my table. Are the screws under anything?  This makes no sense.  Let's count the screws and match it up with what is supposed to be packed with the case.  This pack has a lot.  That must be the one with 24 screws.  Ok.  So on and so on. This pack has 6 screws.  This other pack also has 6 screws.  But the case manual says that there should be only one pack with 6.  There is supposed to be one with 10 screws.  Can't find that one.  Let's move everything on the table again.  It must have fallen behind something.  Nope.  God, this is frustrating.  Maybe they forgot to pack the screws.  Should I use other screws?  Sh**.  This is taking a long time and everything is more difficult than I expected it to.  After about 10 minutes of thinking and trying to come up with a solution, I went back and looked at some videos and blog posts (both here and Tom's Hardware).  I use one of the packs of 6 screws and they fit fine.  Can I get away with only installing 6 screws instead of the 8 or 9 that the mobo is supposed to use?  That sounds okay to me, but bothers me.  There really should be more screws.  

Now, something I read made me go back and look at the power supply box.  I look at all the cables.  Hey look at that!  There is a little plastic packet with some cable ties in them attached to one of the cables.  Doesn't look like there is anything else in there, but I open it anyway.  Wouldn't you know?  A little baggie with some screws in it.  Remember when I said that the case manual didn't have the power supply listed for the screws?  And I thought it was an oversight?  And that I used 4 screws from one of the packs to install it?  And remember when I said I'm an idiot?  Well good.  Don't forget that.  Let's move on.  So, uninstalling the power supply unit now, and reinstall it using the screws that actually, you know, came with the power supply.  That works.  Still have three along the bottom and only one in an upper corner.  Still not sure that is correct, but it isn't moving and seems secure enough.  Plus it is bottom mounted so what's the worst that can happen?  Now have the four screws that actually, you know, fit the mobo and secure it to the risers.  See how wonderful life is?  And I install the mobo.  And life is good.  

So, at this point, I don't know whether I should continue my story... I'll leave that up to you to decide.  Let me know if you all want Part 2

I mean.. the build isn't really that bad. Not my personal preference on the PSU choice and would of gone with a slightly different case, themobo could of been a bit cheaper but beyond that it isn't terrible. The RAM, while is overkill I personally would if you ever built a second PC in the future just split it up so 16GBs for each.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

850evo or m.2 nvme over the 850 pro... 850 pro over priced for the performance when 850 evo is just as good, then you could get the 1080 if you wanted

EDIT... i would look into going x99 if your doing that type of build. a 6800k and a msi tomahawk MB would be a great pair and be almost the same price

1 hour ago, Sreno1 said:

Holy shit dude it's just a computer

Yes, it is.  But, it is my first time building one.  LOL.  Just the trials and tribulations (so far...)... I did try to keep it amusing, but I guess that didn't come through so much... .

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I mean.. the build isn't really that bad. Not my personal preference on the PSU choice and would of gone with a slightly different case, themobo could of been a bit cheaper but beyond that it isn't terrible. The RAM, while is overkill I personally would if you ever built a second PC in the future just split it up so 16GBs for each.

I figured 32 GBs would be good for many years.  32GBs were only like $140 or so.. Not the most expensive thing, by all means. But, of course, everyone has their preferences.  Definitely should have come to the forums first and asked more knowledgeable people than I about parts.  Probably could have saved some money for similar performance, at the end of the day.  Next time, I'll know better.

1 hour ago, Andrew Storlie said:

850evo or m.2 nvme over the 850 pro... 850 pro over priced for the performance when 850 evo is just as good, then you could get the 1080 if you wanted

EDIT... i would look into going x99 if your doing that type of build. a 6800k and a msi tomahawk MB would be a great pair and be almost the same price

Things that would have been useful prior to my ordering and building the PC, of course.  But, I don't think I'm going to change anything for awhile.  We will see.

1 hour ago, Yahtadi said:

DO YOU REALLY NEED 18 FREAKING TERABYTE FOR YOUR STORAGE MATE?

Too funny.  Told y'all that you'd be asking that question.  Believe it or not, we already have 6TBs of stuff that we will be moving over to this.  So, technically, I only have 12 TBs left.  

This build is about as top of the line as it gets. There aren't any problems with the build, that being said 32gb ram is unneeded but obviously money isn't a concern. It's kind of hard to go wrong when the budget for the build is that high.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

Well, everyone has opinions. but for that money, you're right.  I could probably get better "performance" with better fitting parts, but it definitely won't suck.  I hope.... 

6 minutes ago, Sreno1 said:

This build is about as top of the line as it gets. There aren't any problems with the build, that being said 32gb ram is unneeded but obviously money isn't a concern. It's kind of hard to go wrong when the budget for the build is that high.

Well, everyone has opinions. but for that money, you're right.  I could probably get better "performance" with better fitting parts, but it definitely won't suck.  I hope.... 

Just now, Menelaus7 said:

It will not suck, haha. Those parts are top of the line. Your parts are perfect for what you want it to do. 

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

9 minutes ago, Sreno1 said:

It will not suck, haha. Those parts are top of the line. Your parts are perfect for what you want it to do. 

Better not say that out loud.  Those are fighting words around these parts.  People have STRONG opinions on these things.

13 minutes ago, Menelaus7 said:

Better not say that out loud.  Those are fighting words around these parts.  People have STRONG opinions on these things.

You could have gotten an AIO water cooler for your CPU

9 minutes ago, Sreno1 said:

You could have gotten an AIO water cooler for your CPU

Did you READ Part 1 of my build?  Can you imagine how bad me trying to do a water cooler would have been?  

Just now, Menelaus7 said:

Did you READ Part 1 of my build?  Can you imagine how bad me trying to do a water cooler would have been?  

Ooops, you did say AIO water cooler....

Bruh the build isn't that bad. It's quite decent in fact and there aren't many mistakes in the part list.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 9/20/2016 at 1:39 PM, DocSwag said:

Bruh the build isn't that bad. It's quite decent in fact and there aren't many mistakes in the part list.

Thanks! Much appreciated.