Which Power Supply To Get? Quick Question

RickvLogchem

Hi guys, quick little question here: I'm going to build my very first PC soon :D but I can't seem to decide on what power supply to get. I initially wanted to get one from EVGA but since those are quite hard to get where I live I've decided to get a Corsair unit, my question is, which one of the following should I get? (I know a cheaper unit would do fine as well but I only want top components in my PC):

Corsair HX850i - costing €178,65 (I know the 750i provides more than enough wattage for my needs but since it costs €164,90 it seems like such a small effort to get the 850i)

OR

Corsair AX760 (non-i as that is 100% unavailable here...) - costing €174,90

The parts I'll be using are as follows and will be mounted in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass edition case:

CPU - 6700K (Will obviously overclock...)

CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X61

Mobo - Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

RAM - 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LED running at 3000Mhz

GPU - GTX 1080 (Asus Strix one or EVGA FTW one depending on stock)

SSD - Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB

HDD - WD Black 2TB

Also, LED Strips. 

I'd very much appreciate some advice, thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, RickvLogchem said:

Hi guys, quick little question here: I'm going to build my very first PC soon :D but I can't seem to decide on what power supply to get. I initially wanted to get one from EVGA but since those are quite hard to get where I live I've decided to get a Corsair unit, my question is, which one of the following should I get? (I know a cheaper unit would do fine as well but I only want top components in my PC):

Corsair HX850i - costing €178,65 (I know the 750i provides more than enough wattage for my needs but since it costs €164,90 it seems like such a small effort to get the 850i)

OR

Corsair AX760 (non-i as that is 100% unavailable here...) - costing €174,90

The parts I'll be using are as follows and will be mounted in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass edition case:

CPU - 6700K (Will obviously overclock...)

CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X61

Mobo - Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

RAM - 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LED running at 3000Mhz

GPU - GTX 1080 (Asus Strix one or EVGA FTW one depending on stock)

SSD - Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB

HDD - WD Black 2TB

Also, LED Strips. 

I'd very much appreciate some advice, thanks in advance!

Both are Tier 1 PSU's so they are equal honestly. Get whichever you want and you will be just fine. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

No RMx/RMi available ?

Out of the two, the HX850i. Additional 100W for the virtually the same price, better fan and Corsair Link.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

20 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

No RMx/RMi available ?

Yes actually, the RM750x comes in at around €115 while the "i" costs about €135

Just now, RickvLogchem said:

I would go with the RMi 750W and save a bit of money in the process. 

Just now, lee32uk said:

I would go with the RMi 750W and save a bit of money in the process. 

I'll take a look at that one too then, thanks!

1 minute ago, RickvLogchem said:

Get yourself the RM750x if you don't want Corsair Link and save yourself some money in the process.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Get yourself the RM750x if you don't want Corsair Link and save yourself some money in the process.

Hmmm. Yes, from what I'm reading the Link software really isn't worth a €20 premium... And I suppose the RMx will perform very similar to the HXi?

13 minutes ago, RickvLogchem said:

Hmmm. Yes, from what I'm reading the Link software really isn't worth a €20 premium... And I suppose the RMx will perform very similar to the HXi?

Corsair Link allows you to switch between the multi and single rails and control the speed of the various fans within your PC. Might be useful if you're anal about sound and need near complete silence but 99% of the time you won't need it.

The RMx will perform identically to the HXi and it's a great, silent unit. Just lacks Corsair Link and uses a rifle ball bearing fan instead. It is gold efficiency rated vs the HXi's platinum but that's not really an issue.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Link allows you to switch between multi and single rail and control the speed of the fans in your PC. Might be useful if you're anal about sound and need near complete silence but 99% of the time you won't need it.

The RMx will perform identically to the HXi and it's a great, silent unit. Just lacks Corsair Link and uses a rifle ball bearing fan instead. It is gold efficiency rated vs the HXi's platinum but that's not really an issue.

Thanks! I'll definitely be taking a look at that one!

1 hour ago, RickvLogchem said:

Thanks! I'll definitely be taking a look at that one!

One thing that wasn't noted but probably doesn't matter to you is that the RMi, due to Corsair link compatiblity, can be switched from single to multi-rail configurations. Also, the FDB fan in the RMi is probably going to be quieter when it comes on than the one in the RMx which is a rifle bearing fan and, also something to note, due to the lubrication design of rifle bearing fans, cannot be mounted on it's side like how it is in a Corsair Air 240, for example. Just a note.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Thanks all for the replies! In the end I decided to go with the HX850i unit since I got a pretty nice discount on it and only had to spend €145.