Upgrade My cooling (poll)

BiscuitMassacre

What should I choose?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Cooling Choices

• Get new/more/better fans. (please comment on what you think I should get and what positions)
    • Get another fan for my Hyper 212 Evo
    • Get a Cryorig H7
    • Get a Used/Refurbished AIO ($90~)
    • Don't OC dummy! Or at least turn it down a few 100 Mhz.

I have been trying to OC my 4690k to 4.5Ghz using my Hyper 212 Evo.

Please vote what you think i should do. And comment if you want to be more specific.

When My s340's side panel is closed, the temperature is significantly increased. So I need to upgrade the Airflow of my case. 

I currently have a NZXT 120mm on the Top Exhaust, and another one at the rear exhaust. I also have 1 120mm Corsair Intake fan on the front. 

My Hyper 212 Evo has the one included stock fan. I also freshly installed some new MX4 thermal compound. I am trying to keep my temps below 85c during stress. I only need a drop 3-8 degress C, but it really depends how much I need to go. 

Also, when I overclock, when I stress test (OCCT), it crashes. Last stress test I did was at 1.300v (manual, not adaptive), and it crashed. Does that seem a little high to go over 1.3v? Also when I say 'crash' I mean my windows doesn't respond. It still has power and the fans and crap moves, but it just freezes the current frame until I hold the power button down. Just checking if thats normal. 

If I get a new Cooler my brother will pay me about 15 for my hyper 212 Evo for his system. I also really don't want to spend more than 50 even with the 15 price drop. AIO is last resort.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

You should get be quiet! darkrock pro 3. It performs like most 240mm aio liquid cooler, and silent. Noctua d15 is another great choice too.

1 minute ago, PCNoobie said:

You should get be quiet! darkrock pro 3. It performs like most 240mm aio liquid cooler, and silent. Noctua d15 is another great choice too.

I aint paying $80 for a  air cooler, rathter just spend a few more and get a used liquid cooler.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

The 212 evo isn't really made to handle haswell at 1.3+Volts which explains the high temperatures. 1.3V isn't super high but past 1.3V you start wearing down the cpu more quickly. The H7 is better but only by a few degrees consider adding an additional intake fan (ideally you want more intake than exhaust). With a GTX 970 you won't seen much benifit from overclocking anyway.

3 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

I aint paying $80 for a  air cooler, rathter just spend a few more and get a used liquid cooler.

A $80 AIO is not necessarly better than a $80 heat sink.

15 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

a used liquid cooler.

aio's are inherently unreliable. when buying new it's not really a worry, but when buying used...

- it may be already at the point of being a noisy whining disaster

- it may be days away from breaking down

- you dont know what the previous owner did to the tubes, for all you know they're at the edge of ripping

- if it dies, your cpu basicly falls back to zero cooling, instead of falling back to a passive hunk of metal.

these are my reasons to recomend you to spend $80 on a tower cooler instead of wasting the same amount of money on what's inherently gonna be the cheapest 240mm aio you can find.

56 minutes ago, manikyath said:

aio's are inherently unreliable. when buying new it's not really a worry, but when buying used...

- it may be already at the point of being a noisy whining disaster

- it may be days away from breaking down

- you dont know what the previous owner did to the tubes, for all you know they're at the edge of ripping

- if it dies, your cpu basicly falls back to zero cooling, instead of falling back to a passive hunk of metal.

these are my reasons to recomend you to spend $80 on a tower cooler instead of wasting the same amount of money on what's inherently gonna be the cheapest 240mm aio you can find.

1 hour ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

The 212 evo isn't really made to handle haswell at 1.3+Volts which explains the high temperatures. 1.3V isn't super high but past 1.3V you start wearing down the cpu more quickly. The H7 is better but only by a few degrees consider adding an additional intake fan (ideally you want more intake than exhaust). With a GTX 970 you won't seen much benifit from overclocking anyway.

A $80 AIO is not necessarly better than a $80 heat sink.

1 hour ago, TunaRaider said:

sacrifice some noise for some more fans. If you willing to spend a bit more money then deck out your whole case with fans. If you not willing to spend money then at least get another intake and/or run push-pull on your hyper evo 212.

Ok. Disappointing, but I will just dial back to 4Ghz. Just wanting to confirm that the Freezing crash scenes are you normal? don't want to break anything. 

EDIT: I want to atleast buy 2 more fans. I don't want to spend more than 13 for each fan. What you guys recommend? 120MM (one for Hyper 212 and another Intake) The lower the price and noise the better.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Crashing is normal for a unstable overclock 

But how its crashing. its just freezes. Thats completely normal right?

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

2 hours ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

But how its crashing. its just freezes. Thats completely normal right?

Yes it's normal as long as it doesn't happen at the stock clock/voltage. 

It's normal for the whole system to lock up from processor instability. I would not hold the power button to reset the system, use the reset button.

Are the exhaust fans high airflow? I would recommend using high airflow fans for the exhaust and intakes (try to use an equal number) since your case doesn't have drive cages to worry about. I would also turn their speed up a little bit to get more air moving through the case.

Replacing the CPU cooler will help keep your processors temp down, having the extra case fans will help get the hot air out.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

14 hours ago, jonnylaw13 said:

if you only want to get the 2 fans, match them, CM sells the hyper 212 fans and im sure you can prob find the matching NZTX fan for the front

The stock FN fans aren't great and the OP might as well get better fans if buying aftermarket. 

Some good options include

PW2: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4GsKHx/be-quiet-case-fan-bl047

Hyperborea: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/gD9KHx/rosewill-case-fan-rocf11003

NF-P14S: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/8r9KHx/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1500pwm

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The stock FN fans aren't great and the OP might as well get better fans if buying aftermarket. 

Some good options include

PW2: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4GsKHx/be-quiet-case-fan-bl047

Hyperborea: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/gD9KHx/rosewill-case-fan-rocf11003

NF-P14S: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/8r9KHx/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1500pwm

my thought was budget but then again ive seen several brands like Corsair sell fans in 2 packs, changing 2 also opens the options of LED fans also