Rust Access Violation Error?

My laptop is a Gigabyte P55G with 16gb of DDR4-2133 and a 1tb hard drive

Rust has been having an issue lately where  I'm loading into a server and occasionally the load will stop and the game will crash. My latest crash log reads:

Error occurred at 2016-09-17_195632.
D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rust\RustClient.exe, run by Harrison.
50% memory in use.
16268 MB physical memory [7972 MB free].
18700 MB paging file [9039 MB free].
134217728 MB user address space [134209748 MB free].
Read from location 000000c4 caused an access violation.

I'd think it was corrupted ram or something but the thing is, all my other games work fine including stuff like fallout 4 and world of tanks, etc. I don't get this issue anywhere else.

It's more of an annoyance because sometimes I can load in fine, sometimes not. It also seems to spike RAM usage when this happens for some reason, because while playing my RAM usage is much lower.

Help would be appreciated.

could be that other games have better error handling, rust is pretty badly optimized etc. try running the memory diagnostics tool to make sure its not a corruption problem, if its not post a bug report to the dev team or check if the bug is already known with them.

STEP 1

Save and close all open documents and software programs.

STEP 2

Click the "Start" button and then click "Control Panel."

STEP 3

Type "Memory" in the search box and then click "Diagnose your computer's memory problems." (Note: Type in your administrator password or provide confirmation, if prompted.)

STEP 4

Click "Restart now and check for problems (recommended)."

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-memory-access-violation

Oh, lots of people get this bug. I'll run the memory diagnostic and get back to you.

Okay, ran the windows memory diagnostic, no errors were found by the program.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

could be that other games have better error handling, rust is pretty badly optimized etc. try running the memory diagnostics tool to make sure its not a corruption problem, if its not post a bug report to the dev team or check if the bug is already known with them.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-memory-access-violation

Is windows memory diagnostic reliable for this?

1 hour ago, fastfishy2 said:

Is windows memory diagnostic reliable for this?

you can try this one to be sure, but this requires you to install it on a usb or cd which is more effort. 

http://www.memtest.org/?

hmm yeah not sure about that, I don't want to try any external test tools like that because the dudes at the laptop store might not like it

15 minutes ago, tlink said:

you can try this one to be sure, but this requires you to install it on a usb or cd which is more effort. 

http://www.memtest.org/?

I was told somewhere that I'd notice issues every 15-30 minutes or so if I had bad bits in my RAM, I could play rust for 3-4 hours straight or more without issues... if the memory was bad would I expect the game to crash while playing? I checked and it's using 8.5 GB while playing and tends to be about 9.3 when it crashes. 

2 hours ago, fastfishy2 said:

hmm yeah not sure about that, I don't want to try any external test tools like that because the dudes at the laptop store might not like it

then i would go with what the windows memtest told you

2 hours ago, fastfishy2 said:

I was told somewhere that I'd notice issues every 15-30 minutes or so if I had bad bits in my RAM, I could play rust for 3-4 hours straight or more without issues... if the memory was bad would I expect the game to crash while playing? I checked and it's using 8.5 GB while playing and tends to be about 9.3 when it crashes. 

bad memory would be noticed during playing, it would result in a error or fatal crash or it would just present a lag spike depending on how the software's error handling is.

4 hours ago, tlink said:

bad memory would be noticed during playing, it would result in a error or fatal crash or it would just present a lag spike depending on how the software's error handling is.

Alright. Hey thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

Alright. Hey thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

no problem