Stable overclock for 6600k with Hyper Evo 212.

Hi there all!,

Looking for some recommendations on OC my 6600k with the Hyper Evo 212 cooler. What GHz can i achieve and at what voltage would be preferable?? My MOBO is the Gigabyte K3  running on 8gb 2133mhz ddr4 crucial memory in and s340 case.

Not expecting people to give me exact figures just a rough estimate for what i can expect to achieve!

Thanks in advance,

Lewis.

If you want to do it easy mode you could use the gigabyte software to overclock the CPU it wont get you the max OC but it will OC it to a good stable number.

1 minute ago, Jed M said:

Overclocking with Hyper 212 EVO isn't a very good idea.

Hmm is there a reason you say that?

I have allways been told by that it will maybe go to 4.2 ghz with no problems?

3 minutes ago, Adalhelm said:

If you want to do it easy mode you could use the gigabyte software to overclock the CPU it wont get you the max OC but it will OC it to a good stable number.

i have watched a couple of videos on the gigabyte software and many of the people say they OC by putting your voltages way to high for an air cooler, (into the 1.4v region) 

1 minute ago, LewisThatGamer said:

Hmm is there a reason you say that?

I have allways been told by that it will maybe go to 4.2 ghz with no problems?

That will most likely kill your PC because Hyper EVO 212 is a BUDGET cooler; meaning it's terrible for cooling.

You can likely get some overclock out of it, though I'm not sure what. Your first goal should be to find the best overclock you can get before you have to increase the voltage, since that won't generate a huge amount of extra heat. Try 4.0–4.2 GHz at first and see where you stand. Test for stability, watch your temperatures, etc. If you're stable and temperatures still okay, push it up a bit more.

It's advisable to keep the core voltage under 1.4 V for continuous operation. I'm sure you won't get anywhere near 1.4 V with acceptable temperatures using that cooler, but it's still good to know where the limits are.

Just now, Jed M said:

That will most likely kill your PC because Hyper EVO 212 is a BUDGET cooler; meaning it's terrible for cooling.

Dont know if id go as far as kill if you kept it under watch although thanks for the advice.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

You can likely get some overclock out of it, though I'm not sure what. Your first goal should be to find the best overclock you can get before you have to increase the voltage, since that won't generate a huge amount of extra heat. Try 4.0–4.2 GHz at first and see where you stand. Test for stability, watch your temperatures, etc. If you're stable and temperatures still okay, push it up a bit more.

It's advisable to keep the core voltage under 1.4 V for continuous operation. I'm sure you won't get anywhere near 1.4 V with acceptable temperatures, but it's still good to know where the limits are.

Yes was going to try 4.1ghz with a 1.35v as that seems to go well for alot of people, thanks for your help!

I would try 4.1 GHz with a better CPU cooler such as a Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler!

3 minutes ago, Verex said:

I would try 4.1 GHz with a better CPU cooler such as a Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler!

Wow! 

well first of all that cooler is just WAYYYY to expensive for me so thats gonna be a sad no :(

seen people so easily get 4.5-4.9 with that cooler so maybe would be pushing more than 4.1 but idk.

11 minutes ago, LewisThatGamer said:

Yes was going to try 4.1ghz with a 1.35v as that seems to go well for alot of people, thanks for your help!

1.35 V is quite high. I don't even need 1.35 V for 4.5 GHz on my 6600K, and I don't think I have a particularly special chip. I'd set the voltage to manual or adaptive and key in 1.2–1.25 V or so.

Just now, typographie said:

1.35 V is quite high. I don't even need 1.35 V for 4.5 GHz on my 6600K, and I don't think I have a particularly special chip. I'd set the voltage to manual or adaptive and key in 1.2–1.25 V or so.

Sounds great thanks!

What Cooler have you got out of intrest?

Don't listen to the nay sayers.  The 212 EVO is a good cooler and will do just fine for a low to medium overclock.  You're going to keep an eye on temperatures anyway, and if they are higher than you like you'll scale things back a little.  

Besides, extreme overclocking is never as stable and can be annoying having to reboot your system more often or seeing occasional glitches.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

3 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Don't listen to the nay sayers.  The 212 EVO is a good cooler and will do just fine for a low to medium overclock.  You're going to keep an eye on temperatures anyway, and if they are higher than you like you'll scale things back a little.  

Besides, extreme overclocking is never as stable and can be annoying having to reboot your system more often or seeing occasional glitches.

Well atleast that gives me some slight confidence ahha, so you reckon 4.2 will be achieveable and if everything is looking great you never know could go up a little?

17 minutes ago, LewisThatGamer said:

Sounds great thanks!

What Cooler have you got out of intrest?

I have a Corsair H80i, which I usually keep in Quiet mode. At 1.32 V and 4.5 GHz, I tend to run in the high-60's in AIDA64's Stability Test, and usually 40's in most games. So while I have a much more powerful and expensive cooler than you, I could probably keep this overclock cool with much less. I don't know if you'll get quite that far with a 212 EVO, though.

3 hours ago, typographie said:

I have a Corsair H80i, which I usually keep in Quiet mode. At 1.32 V and 4.5 GHz, I tend to run in the high-60's in AIDA64's Stability Test, and usually 40's in most games. So while I have a much more powerful and expensive cooler than you, I could probably keep this overclock cool with much less. I don't know if you'll get quite that far with a 212 EVO, though.

Try increments of .1 until you get a temp of 78c or more, then stop.

4 hours ago, LewisThatGamer said:

Er.... 1.35v is pretty high for a 212. Now obviously it's okay if temps are low, but I don't really expect them to be. I'd suggest starting at 1.3v. FYI, mine stopped at that (due to thermals), which led me to a 4263mhz OC.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

im running a 6600k with a cooler master budget cooler. Here it is

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/x-dream-i117/

It's running @4.1Ghz right now, haven't even touched anything related to voltage. Maximum temp. I saw was 58 degrees celcius.

I've been gaming, stressing the CPU for a while now and haven't had any problems neither.

5 hours ago, Verex said:

Try increments of .1 until you get a temp of 78c or more, then stop.

I've tried to go higher, and I'm uncomfortable with the jump in voltage I'd need for just another 100 MHz. I'm happy with it like it is, with low temperatures and silent fans.

36 minutes ago, typographie said:

I've tried to go higher, and I'm uncomfortable with the jump in voltage I'd need for just another 100 MHz. I'm happy with it like it is, with low temperatures and silent fans.

What did you end up setting your OC and voltage to?

26 minutes ago, Verex said:

What did you end up setting your OC and voltage to?

You quoted it above. 4.5 GHz at 1.32 V or so.

Hello everyone im newbie to this forum. But I also have a 212 evo. Like that one guy mentioned it is an budget cooler and is not recommended for any oc. You might get away with +.1-.2ghz but would still be pushin it and would have to constantly monitor temps. I have fx 8350 on a Asus Crosshair V Formula Z mobo am not even going to consider oc even +.1ghz until i get my new Corsair water cooler. If anyone has any experience oc with familiar setup can you tell me what oc you achieved? Thanks!

20160916_220932.jpg

May Your System be Silent, and your Frames the Most Violent

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:                                                              

CPU: i7-8086K (5.1Gh/1.3V)  (Delided) Rocket Cool Copper Ihs Cover upgrade W/Liq'metal.

MOBO: Asus Maximus X-Formula Z370

CASE:  Corsair 570X

GPU: Asus Strix/oc1080Ti

PSU: Corsair HX-1000 80+Platinum

RAM: Corsair Vengeance/RGB 32Gb @ 3200mhz (XMP)

SSD: Boot:Samsung 960EVO/M.2 500Gb Storage:Samsung 860EVO/250Gb

COOLING: Ekwb Predator 360 Aio (Modified: Primo-Chill Soft Tube. Ek fittings 10mm/13mm, Xspc EC6 Coolant, EK Supremacy EVO/Nikel-Block)

ISP: SPECTRUM(TWC): 118Mbps/Download 11Mbps/Upload 56ms/Ping

Peripherals: Corsair K95/Platinum Steel-Series RIVAL 600

Monitor: Asus Strix/XG31VQ 1440P/144Hz

The Hyper Evo is a perfectly adequate cooler for modest overclocking.

Look around and you'll find countless people using a Hyper Evo to overclock with Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake CPUs just fine.

I used my Hyper Evo on my 2500k OC'd to 4.4 and currently have a 5820k at 4.2 on my Hyper Evo.

3 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

The Hyper Evo is a perfectly adequate cooler for modest overclocking.

Look around and you'll find countless people using a Hyper Evo to overclock with Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake CPUs just fine.

I used my Hyper Evo on my 2500k OC'd to 4.4 and currently have a 5820k at 4.2 on my Hyper Evo.

Nice! Dont go any higher!

May Your System be Silent, and your Frames the Most Violent

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:                                                              

CPU: i7-8086K (5.1Gh/1.3V)  (Delided) Rocket Cool Copper Ihs Cover upgrade W/Liq'metal.

MOBO: Asus Maximus X-Formula Z370

CASE:  Corsair 570X

GPU: Asus Strix/oc1080Ti

PSU: Corsair HX-1000 80+Platinum

RAM: Corsair Vengeance/RGB 32Gb @ 3200mhz (XMP)

SSD: Boot:Samsung 960EVO/M.2 500Gb Storage:Samsung 860EVO/250Gb

COOLING: Ekwb Predator 360 Aio (Modified: Primo-Chill Soft Tube. Ek fittings 10mm/13mm, Xspc EC6 Coolant, EK Supremacy EVO/Nikel-Block)

ISP: SPECTRUM(TWC): 118Mbps/Download 11Mbps/Upload 56ms/Ping

Peripherals: Corsair K95/Platinum Steel-Series RIVAL 600

Monitor: Asus Strix/XG31VQ 1440P/144Hz