Progression of my build, from HP crap to Define R4

Lauen

I figured I could share my PC now that I'm starting to get satisfied. [TL;DR: scroll down if you don't want to hear about the progress] 

To start off: I got an HP desktop from my dad, about two years ago. It was an HP *something I forgot* B, which contained the following components: some bad HP OEM board, socket AM3, with an AMD Athlon II x4, 4 GB 1333 Mhz, which actually ran at 7-7-7-20, was kinda cool, an AMD 5450 card, with an entire 1 GB of GDDR3 memory! it also had a BAD 350w psu, wasn't even 80+ sertified.. and a WD Blue 640GB drive, inside some mATX HP case. 

three weeks later, I got a new motherboard, an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, and I got an XFX Radeon HD 6870, with the horrible single fan cooler. That thing was so loud, and so bad at cooling... I also got a new PSU then, a Cooler Master GX650W, it's an alright PSU. 

Then a couple of months passed, and I needed a new cooler for my cpu. so I bought a Cooler Master Hyper TX3, and it barely fit in my case. that HP case was SO small! A few weeks later, I bought a sound card, an ASUS Xonar DX, as the integrated VIA HD audio was absolutely dreadful. Then a couple of months passed again, and I bought myself a new case, the Fractal Design Define R4. it was just a few months after it had launched. When I moved my system over into the R4, I was so amazed at the quality of the case, seeing as I had used a cheap HP case for quite some time. Then a couple of weeks passed, and I bought a new soundcard, as the DX had some issues with the mic when I was in games, the mic would have some weird interference. I have a post on that, so if you wanna know, just ask. Then I bought myself some new harddrives,2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives, really nice drives.

So then a month or so passed, and I bought a new motherboard, the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, and SSD, the Samsung 830 256GB, and some new RAM, a kit of 8 GB, Crucial BallistiX Elite, 1600 MHz. The Sabertooth boards are definately my favorite line of boards.

A month or so later, I bought an ASUS GTX660Ti DCU2 and two new fans, to complete the setup of two fans in front, and one fan in the back. A couple of months passed, and I replaced my Logitech G105 with a Steelseries 7G, love me some MX Black switches! :D Eventually I replaced my MX518 The Dark Knight Edition with a Steelseries Sensei Pro, and replaced my Steelseries Siberia v2 with a Sennheiser PC360. After a while, I got another screen, as my BenQ G2420HD was getting a bit old, and had a giant scratch in the panel. So I got me an ASUS VN248H, a cheap IPS screen, looks alright, but I wish I’d spent a little more.

And yesterday, I replaced my Athlon II x4 with an FX-8320, replaced the Hyper TX3 with a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, and replaced the Crucial BallistiX Elite with Corsair Vengeance LP, white 8 GB kit :D 

Pics are here, in my Skydrive: http://sdrv.ms/H365pD nevermind the old screen next to the computer, my little brother uses it when he's here. 

latest pic: 5Hh6C2n.jpg

EDIT: btw, gonna be replacing PSU next month, I think. Going for Cooler Master V850 :D

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

You should upload the pic to your post :)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Very nice build, looks really clean. Why upgrade the psu though? 850watt is absolutely overkill for that build and your current psu seems decent, why not put the money towards a better graphics card or something you'll get a bit more use/performance out of?

Hvor kjøpte du be quite kjøleren?

Thanks guys! 

Very nice build, looks really clean. Why upgrade the psu though? 850watt is absolutely overkill for that build and your current psu seems decent, why not put the money towards a better graphics card or something you'll get a bit more use/performance out of?

I'm tired of all the colored wires, and I have no bother sleeving. I want such a big powersupply to futureproof myself, in case I sometime go for SLI / Crossfire. The one I have now only has 2x 6+2 PCI plugs, so unless I run low-end sli, won't work too good. also I want a higher efficiency one, also modularity. lots of cables in my rig go unused. 

Hvor kjøpte du be quite kjøleren?

kjøpte den på CDON, eneste jeg fant som hadde de her i Norge ;) 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50