Makeshift Anti-Static Mat?

QuadNine
Go to solution Solved by bgibbz,

While ESD (electrostatic discharge) can be dangerous to parts, its really not as concerning as many people may think. As long as you follow basic precautions, you will be fine. Working on a non carpeted floor is ideal, while wearing shoes. I strongly dont recommend socks on carpet, that builds up static electricity fast. The first component i would install in the case would be the PSU. Turn the PSU power off, and plug it in. You can then touch the case periodically to ground yourself. additionally, you can go to a computer store (best buy would work) and by an anti static wrist strap that you can then connect to the case. Also, keep your board on the cardboard box. DO NOT PUT IT ON THE ANTI STATIC BAG. This could potentially kill your board. 

So today I am finally building my PC. Since it will be my first PC build, I want to be really safe and cautious. So I was wondering could I use something like a yoga mat to act as a makeshift Anti-static mat? Or is there something else that I can use?

Also what are some ways that I can ground myself before I start working on assembling it?

Thanks in advance

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

5 minutes ago, QuadNine said:

So today I am finally building my PC. Since it will be my first PC build, I want to be really safe and cautious. So I was wondering could I use something like a yoga mat to act as a makeshift Anti-static mat? Or is there something else that I can use?

Also what are some ways that I can ground myself before I start working on assembling it?

Thanks in advance

Depends on what the mat is made out of. Anything that doesn't build a static charge on your body will work. I didn't use one for mine, just put yor mob on the box when building and plug in your psu into the wall but don't turn it on, then touch it after a while to discharge yourself.

XTREME I7 GRANDIS TRIDENT SUPERNOVA ECLIPSE PC++:

CPU           ✧   i7 6700K  @ 4.5 GHz 1.31 VCore

COOLER   ✧   SilentiumPC Grandis 

MOBO       ✧   MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON 

RAM          ✧   16Gb Trident Z's 3200 MHz

GPU          ✧    Gigabyte GTX 980 ti XTREME

SSD           ✧   Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB

PSU           ✧   EVGA SuperNova G2 650W 

CASE         ✧   Phanteks Eclipse P400S [Black]

Use:

✧ Game designing, Programming, Compiling, 3D rendering and of course Gaming

4 minutes ago, QuadNine said:

Thanks in advance

Just use the motherboard box, the anti static bag the motherbard is in or a wood table

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, Liquid Cooled Human said:

Depends on what the mat is made out of. Anything that doesn't build a static charge on your body will work. I didn't use one for mine, just put yor mob on the box when building and plug in your psu into the wall but don't turn it on, then touch it after a while to discharge yourself.

Just making sure. The "O" on the power supply is the one that needs to be pressed down for it to be off, right?

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

Just now, QuadNine said:

Just making sure. The "O" on the power supply is the one that needs to be pressed down for it to be off, right?

'O' is digital for off, 'I' is on.

Use:

While ESD (electrostatic discharge) can be dangerous to parts, its really not as concerning as many people may think. As long as you follow basic precautions, you will be fine. Working on a non carpeted floor is ideal, while wearing shoes. I strongly dont recommend socks on carpet, that builds up static electricity fast. The first component i would install in the case would be the PSU. Turn the PSU power off, and plug it in. You can then touch the case periodically to ground yourself. additionally, you can go to a computer store (best buy would work) and by an anti static wrist strap that you can then connect to the case. Also, keep your board on the cardboard box. DO NOT PUT IT ON THE ANTI STATIC BAG. This could potentially kill your board. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Just use the motherboard box, the anti static bag the motherbard is in or a wood table

Im not sure if your suggesting to put the motherboard on the antistatic bag, but this is a bad practice. those bags are antistatic because the outside is conductive. This could short out your motherboard.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

I agree. It's not really a concern unless you wearing socks on a carpet but it's always nice to limit possibilities of hardware failure.

Use:

Thanks a ton guys, I am really excited to finally build this thing

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

Im not sure if your suggesting to put the motherboard on the antistatic bag, but this is a bad practice. those bags are antistatic because the outside is conductive. This could short out your motherboard.

The board isn't powered so it's a non issue

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

The board isn't powered so it's a non issue

Regardless, it is never a good idea to do. With that logic, may as well just sit the board down on sheet of copper.