Help. Ram Overclocking Issues

cs95
Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,
10 minutes ago, cs95 said:

just got rid of my cpu oc and turned on xmp and it says 2133 in the bios but 1066 on cpu-z

Normal, happens to US ALL. CPUZ Reads it differently, but its fine. 1066Mhz (DDR - Double Data Rate) x2 = 2133Mhz

I'm trying to overclock my ram and when I try the pc boots and says some error about memory then loads back into old settings any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like your oc didn't work. It usually takes a bit of tweaking a testing before deciding that an oc is stable enough. 

Are you looking at any guides for oc'ing ram?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Sounds like your oc didn't work. It usually takes a bit of tweaking a testing before deciding that an oc is stable enough. 

Are you looking at any guides for oc'ing ram?

Im pretty new to this but have watched plenty of videos, I go into the bios then turn xmp on and set the speed at 2400mhz as thats the speed i bought and thats when the problems start.

1 minute ago, cs95 said:

Im pretty new to this but have watched plenty of videos, I go into the bios then turn xmp on and set the speed at 2400mhz as thats the speed i bought and thats when the problems start.

Did you change any settings other than turning on XMP? Are you oc'ing your cpu?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

No, I have tried overclocking without using the XMP but to no avail. my cpu is oc'd to 4.2Ghz

2 minutes ago, cs95 said:

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yup, maybe your bclk is pushing it further.  Also you shouldn't have to manually adjust the target speed, XMP should do it for you.  Is the memory XMP memory?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yup, maybe your bclk is pushing it further.  Also you shouldn't have to manually adjust the target speed, XMP should do it for you.  Is the memory XMP memory?

Yeah its corsair vengance 16gb ddr says it supports xmp 2.0

1 minute ago, cs95 said:

Yeah its corsair vengance 16gb ddr says it supports xmp 2.0

DDR3 or 4?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 minutes ago, cs95 said:

No, I have tried overclocking without using the XMP but to no avail. my cpu is oc'd to 4.2Ghz

Did you test stability before turning on XMP?

You should have turned on XMP before starting to oc.

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

DDR3 or 4?

ddr4

DDR3 or 4?

ddr4

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I ran aida 64, and used cpu-z cpu stress test, do I need to clear cmos to get rid of the cpu overclock then do the ram oc first?

Just now, cs95 said:

ddr4

Should run 2400mhz by default without XMP.

XMP just allows you to select higher preset configs if I'm not mistaken.

4 minutes ago, cs95 said:

I ran aida 64, and used cpu-z cpu stress test, do I need to clear cmos to get rid of the cpu overclock then do the ram oc first?

You can just revert the motherboards settings to default. If for some reason you can't do this, resetting the cmos also works.

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

The default is determined by the motherboard and XMP is often left off in that state. The ram doesn't run at 2400mhz at default without XMP.

right, pretty sure its running at 1066mhz atm though

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

You can just revert the motherboards settings to default. If for some reason you can't do this, resetting the cmos also works.

The default is determined by the motherboard and XMP is often left off in that state. 

I've been spoiled too long by the X99 Deluxe's UEFI

48 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

just got rid of my cpu oc and turned on xmp and it says 2133 in the bios but 1066 on cpu-z

10 minutes ago, cs95 said:

Normal, happens to US ALL. CPUZ Reads it differently, but its fine. 1066Mhz (DDR - Double Data Rate) x2 = 2133Mhz

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

18 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Yes!  Top man,  been pissing me off for the past week trying to get this sorted haha