Why would watercooling make you room HOTTER?

Go to solution Solved by MrLau,

The only reason water cooling will dump more heat into the room is because of the extra power draw from the pump, which will often be around 10-30 watt. It has nothing to do with transferring heat faster or anything, the CPU and GPU will use almost exactly the same power, they will probably use slightly less due to being more efficient at lower temperatures, but I don't believe that will make up for the power draw of the pump, I however haven't tested it or looked into it.

When Linus and Luke announced whole room water cooling on the WANshow, they had a discussion about the misconception that water cooling would make your room cooler, it does not.

At 16:27 there is a dialogue that goes like this:

Linus: "Contrary to that a lot of people think, water cooling doesn't maker your room run cooler"
Luke: *mumbles* "just dumps more heat in the room"
Linus: "Yeah!.. well... it dumps the same amount of heat in the room. Basically, exactly the same "
Luke: "I'll go with basically the same"
Linus: "It's a very, very, very small rounding error"
Luke: "I just can't say exactly"

Why would that be, why would watercooling dump more heat in the room, even if it is "just a very, very, very small rounding error" ?
Why even a rounding error.
With the physics I know, a chip that runs at a certain temperature should kick out the same amount of heat even cooled by water, that would just transport it away more quickly.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Just now, MadG4mer said:

PC is running cooler so the heat must go to somewhere, right?

Nope, the same amount of  heat is produced by the chip, it's just taken away from it much quicker, that's why the chip runs cooler.

Usually the heat is partly contained in the PC's case, but with whole room water cooling you're pumping it into the room at a much faster rate than a fan normally would.

I edit my posts a lot.

3 minutes ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

-SNIP-

In simple terms it more effectively transfers the heat from the components or rads in this case to the air in the room making things warmer. It's all about surface area where watercooling radiators usually will provide more surface area than what a large air cooler can provide. 

The heat doesn't just vanish lol, the cooler you want the CPU/GPU the more heat you'll have to transport.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Well, watercooling does use moving parts that generate a bit of heat.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, Wyzzy Moon said:

Nope, the same amount of  heat is produced by the chip, it's just taken away from it much quicker, that's why the chip runs cooler.

Where does the heat go to from the PC as the pc itself is cooler? 

4 minutes ago, MadG4mer said:

The air. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

The air. 

Yes I know the answer but Im trying to make him understand that heat cant just disappear.

7 minutes ago, MadG4mer said:

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

In simple terms it more effectively transfers the heat from the components or rads in this case to the air in the room making things warmer. It's all about surface area where watercooling radiators usually will provide more surface area than what a large air cooler can provide. 

9 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

The heat doesn't just vanish lol, the cooler you want the CPU/GPU the more heat you'll have to transport.

It's moved to the rads more quickly than you could move it to a heatsink, that's why the cpu is cooler but that heat is moved, it did not disapear.
Extra heat is not created out of nowhere, if the CPU uses the same amount of power, and the same speed. Than the same amount of heat is created.
Enegie gets preserved, always. just because you move it doesn't mean there is suddenly more of it.
Extra heat has to come from somewhere

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Well, watercooling does use moving parts that generate a bit of heat.

Exactly, a 30w pump pumps out 30W more heat-energy in the end.

Hardware uses less power when its cooler though (resistance),

so depending on the setup and what the pc does there might be a

difference of a few % in dumped heat.

Put the radiator/s outside the window and prove them wrong, just don't use shitty metal tubing.

Just now, MadG4mer said:

Yes I know the answer but Im trying to make him understand that heat cant just disappear.

No i get that, that's not what I am saying.I am saying that it cant just appear either, so how can it create MORE heat if you cool it with water

3 minutes ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

No i get that, that's not what I am saying.I am saying that it cant just appear either, so how can it create MORE heat if you cool it with water

See, if your PC is running on shitty stock cooler at 90 degrees and with nice AiO 30 degrees, it still generates the SAME amount of heat, the heat is just transfered more effectively to outside of the case.

2 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

Exactly, a 30w pump pumps out 30W more heat-energy in the end.

Hardware uses less power when its cooler though (resistance),

so depending on the setup and what the pc does there might be a

difference of a few % in dumped heat.

That is the first thing that sounds reasonable, but if it uses a bit less power if it is cooler, shouldn't that make your room a tiny bit cooler instead of warmer?

5 minutes ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

It's moved to the rads more quickly than you could move it to a heatsink, that's why the cpu is cooler but that heat is moved, it did not disapear.
Extra heat is not created out of nowhere, if the CPU uses the same amount of power, and the same speed. Than the same amount of heat is created.
Enegie gets preserved, always. just because you move it doesn't mean there is suddenly more of it.
Extra heat has to come from somewhere

It's not extra heat it's just more effective transferred to the air leading to cooler running components. 

Just now, MadG4mer said:

See, if your PC is running on shitty stock cooler at 90 degrees and with nice AiO 30 degrees, it still generates the SAME amount of heat, the heat is just transgender more effectively to outside of the case.

Correct, that is exactly what I am saying, and that makes sence if than the same amount of heat was dumped in the room.
But there is more! Where would that come from?

1 minute ago, W-L said:

It's not extra heat it's just more effective transferred to the air leading to cooler running components. 

But that is the whole point, Luke says: "Dumps more heat in the room" how can you dump more heat in the room if there is not more heat?

1 minute ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

Correct, that is exactly what I am saying, and that makes sence if than the same amount of heat was dumped in the room.
But there is more! Where would that come from?

Theres no extra heat

Just now, MadG4mer said:

Theres no extra heat

Yeah! that is my question though. Luke says: "Dumps more heat in the room" how can you dump more heat in the room if there is not more heat?

But that is the whole point, Luke says: "Dumps more heat in the room" how can you dump more heat in the room if there is not more heat?

If you are more effectively transferring that heat to the air then the surrounding air is getting warmer, not more heat, if the room's ventilation stays constant or non-existent it will then get hotter. 

Yeah! that is my question though. Luke says: "Dumps more heat in the room" how can you dump more heat in the room if there is not more heat?

Cold air warms up faster than already warm air.

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

If you are more effectively transferring that heat to the air then the surrounding air is getting warmer, not more heat, if the room's ventilation stays constant or non-existent it will then get hotter. 

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. So than what he saying is just confusingly worded. Because if you'd had a air cooled and a watercooled rig, and they were identical apart from that.
In 2 identical rooms with no fans and you let them run for an hour and than turn them off. The total amount of heat dumped in the rooms would be the same, the water one would just do it more quickly.

So what luke says is incorrect, the watercooled rig would not dump MORE heat in the room, it just would do so more quickly?