Deciding which gtx1070 model to buy

Hey guys,

I've been searching for the best aftermarket model for the gtx1070 but I can't decide. I'm looking for a reliable brand but non-overpriced, with a gpu that is easy to oc, that has a good performance along with no noise and that also doesn't reach high temperatures since generally my ambient temperature is above the 30º C and I fear it can dump the system.

At the moment I'm tending to the Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MPX2FT/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-amp-edition-video-card-zt-p10700c-10p)

What's your opinion?

I'm really enjoying my gtx 1070 Strix non oc model and it comes in at the same price as the zotac amp, although i have seen it fluctuate 10 - 20 bucks depending on the stock of the site your on.

3 hours ago, keNNySOC said:

MSI Gaming X

EVGA FTW/SC

I've been reading some reviews and first people were recommending MSI but then some people spoke about overheating in it and atm seems like EVGA is the most popular card. However this might seem a bit shallow but the card in itself is a bit dull, aesthetics I mean.

3 hours ago, omm said:

I'm really enjoying my gtx 1070 Strix non oc model and it comes in at the same price as the zotac amp, although i have seen it fluctuate 10 - 20 bucks depending on the stock of the site your on.

Can you tell me the difference between a non oc model and other models? Is the zotac amp oc'd? I'm kinda new to this.

26 minutes ago, StevenMcStevens said:

I've been reading some reviews and first people were recommending MSI but then some people spoke about overheating in it and atm seems like EVGA is the most popular card. However this might seem a bit shallow but the card in itself is a bit dull, aesthetics I mean.

MSI is good in regards of temps and noise,close to EVGA

No need to worry honestly

Get the EVGA FTW version. It is really quiet, cool, and overclocks really well (often 2GHz or more).

Thank you so much for all the opinions guys. It seems like every card performs really well so probably I will go with the flow and choose EVGA. 

I'm also looking for a 1070, and currently only have a 960 strix. It might not be the same, but the 960 strix had the best power/performance ratio of the bunch, and for a cheaper price. Based on the little I've seen about different 1070's it's following that trend. And most of the time the fans on the GPU aren't on so there's no noise.

Basically I'm now a Strix fan. Using less power but getting the same performance does it for me, and they're OCing app works pretty well.

#Muricaparrotgang

If you are getting Zotac the only one to get is the higher end model with 3 fans Extreme Edition not the one with 2 fans.  The one with 2 fans temps reported to get to high as 80C unless that is not a problem for you.

4 hours ago, StevenMcStevens said:

Can you tell me the difference between a non oc model and other models? Is the zotac amp oc'd? I'm kinda new to this.

yeah man, well the oc model is just that factory overclocked to 1860 MHz in their Oc mode and the non oc is factory overclocked to 1721 MHz.  however my card with just basic gpu boost 3.0 goes to about 1980 MHz on its own i have yet to oc myself due to school/work schedule. anyway long story short i saved at the time 80 bucks going with the non oc model and it boost over the oc model, other then that the cooler, rgb lights, and back plate are the same.  oh and the zotac amp is oc'd to 1797 MHz out of the box so 78 MHz more then the stock strix but all signs point to them  boosting well over that set boost clock and if you get into over clocking (which is easier then it sounds) assuming you dont get a poor chip you will go well over the factory oc's on both cards. 

9 hours ago, omm said:

yeah man, well the oc model is just that factory overclocked to 1860 MHz in their Oc mode and the non oc is factory overclocked to 1721 MHz.  however my card with just basic gpu boost 3.0 goes to about 1980 MHz on its own i have yet to oc myself due to school/work schedule. anyway long story short i saved at the time 80 bucks going with the non oc model and it boost over the oc model, other then that the cooler, rgb lights, and back plate are the same.  oh and the zotac amp is oc'd to 1797 MHz out of the box so 78 MHz more then the stock strix but all signs point to them  boosting well over that set boost clock and if you get into over clocking (which is easier then it sounds) assuming you dont get a poor chip you will go well over the factory oc's on both cards. 

Thank you so much for the explanation. I have another doubt, I already have a good PSU (be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply), do you know if this is compatible with these new gpus?

12 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I'm also looking for a 1070, and currently only have a 960 strix. It might not be the same, but the 960 strix had the best power/performance ratio of the bunch, and for a cheaper price. Based on the little I've seen about different 1070's it's following that trend. And most of the time the fans on the GPU aren't on so there's no noise.

Basically I'm now a Strix fan. Using less power but getting the same performance does it for me, and they're OCing app works pretty well.

At first I was looking for the ASUS strix but the price difference for the EVGA it's still noticeable. Maybe I will wait a bit to see if there are any promotions or if the prices get lower in general.

I bought an EVGA 1070 FTW last month. Excellent performance as it boosts up and stays around 1950mhz. Thermal wise it hovers around 72C with fan at 40%. 

The only con is that it has some high pitch and annoying coil whine. I contacted EVGA and they provided lots of guidance and follow up to reduce the coil whine. They also said I can RMA the card if I want to. 

Just want to share my experience with you. My FTW card is not perfect but EVGA's customer service is excellent.

8 minutes ago, W3tan said:

I bought an EVGA 1070 FTW last month. Excellent performance as it boosts up and stays around 1950mhz. Thermal wise it hovers around 72C with fan at 40%. 

The only con is that it has some high pitch and annoying coil whine. I contacted EVGA and they provided lots of guidance and follow up to reduce the coil whine. They also said I can RMA the card if I want to. 

Just want to share my experience with you. My FTW card is not perfect but EVGA's customer service is excellent.

So basically you pulled the short straw on EVGA cards eheh. Thanks for the input, coil whine is a thing that I really wish to avoid but seems like yours is a isolated case. Good thing that EVGA has a nice customer service. 

May I ask you, why did you choose the FTW version instead of the SC one?

46 minutes ago, StevenMcStevens said:

So basically you pulled the short straw on EVGA cards eheh. Thanks for the input, coil whine is a thing that I really wish to avoid but seems like yours is a isolated case. Good thing that EVGA has a nice customer service. 

May I ask you, why did you choose the FTW version instead of the SC one?

At the time of purchase there's a promotion on FTW cards and both cards were selling for $599 Canadian dollar. 

I was lucky and unlucky at the same time I guess...

13 hours ago, StevenMcStevens said:

Thank you so much for the explanation. I have another doubt, I already have a good PSU (be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply), do you know if this is compatible with these new gpus?

yeah man it should be perfect for this card i'm rocking a evga 750w Bronze, so as long as your psu has one 8 pin pci power plug then you should be fine.