Why are clickbait articles so prominent, even on perfectly legitimate sites?

It doesn't make sense to me that a site that seems perfectly legitimate and above using clickbait, and I'll use Wired.com as a perfect example, would still be plastered with it. Below every article on their site you will always see a "Sponsored Stories" section riddled with clickbait. Yet I read an article ON THAT SITE a few months ago talking about how clickbait is a serious issue, and the 'despicable science' behind it. This is far from the only site that I've seen do this. Why do a lot of the giants of web journalism still stoop this low? 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Just now, Rune said:

Money.

That's the answer I figured I would get. I guess it makes sense, because users will probably just complain a bit then keep on reading their site...

Because it works

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

18 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

It doesn't make sense to me that a site that seems perfectly legitimate and above using clickbait, and I'll use Wired.com as a perfect example, would still be plastered with it. Below every article on their site you will always see a "Sponsored Stories" section riddled with clickbait. Yet I read an article ON THAT SITE a few months ago talking about how clickbait is a serious issue, and the 'despicable science' behind it. This is far from the only site that I've seen do this. Why do a lot of the giants of web journalism still stoop this low? 

Because of people like this old f**ktard.  His kind is 50% of the problem, the other 50% of the problem is people want those "clickbait" type of titles and articles.  Which link do you think most people who use the internet today would click:

"President something of some tiny not so well known country is going to give a long political speech"

Or

"Some gorgeous model is sharing her nude photos"

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Because even "legit" websites are not legit anymore. With social networks and video services on the raise when it comes to popularity normal websites don't get nearly as much traffic. They're shifting their angle and content to try and survive the changing environment of the web instead of taking a more dignified way out and close shop.

Truth to be told is Gawker is far from the only website that is one Lawsuit vs a Wrestler away from eating fucking shit. Most "news" outlets around the web struggle already. They just don't understand modern technology and bombard you in the most obnoxious way possible because sure, I'll get you a few views and advertising bucks short term but it will accelerate the rate at which you actually loose your audience and henceforth your livelihood.

Some things are meant to end.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Because even "legit" websites are not legit anymore. With social networks and video services on the raise when it comes to popularity normal websites don't get nearly as much traffic. They're shifting their angle and content to try and survive the changing environment of the web instead of taking a more dignified way out and close shop.

Truth to be told is Gawker is far from the only website that is one Lawsuit vs a Wrestler away from eating fucking shit. Most "news" outlets around the web struggle already. They just don't understand modern technology and bombard you in the most obnoxious way possible because sure, I'll get you a few views and advertising bucks short term but it will accelerate the rate at which you actually loose your audience and henceforth your livelihood.

Some things are meant to end.

Kind of sad, but true.

More clickbait titles = more clicks = more money. Sad but true.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?