Nzxt H440 Case Positive Air Flow????

Techinoob

I'm a little confused with this positive/negative airflow thing, I've seen some videos and read on other forums about it but I'm still quite confused on what speeds I should go with. I thought all you had to do was keep your computer cool and as long as your temperatures were okay then you're golden but i guess not. I have the Nzxt H440 case with the intake fans and rear exhaust fans running at 100% with a Corsair h100i cooler with both fans running at 2100rpm releasing air thru the top of my case.I have no issues with temps but i just want to know if i should just leave it the way it is or make some adjustments.

You should get a 1060/480 instead of the 980. 

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

5 minutes ago, Techinoob said:

I'm a little confused with this positive/negative airflow thing, I've seen some videos and read on other forums about it but I'm still quite confused on what speeds I should go with. I thought all you had to do was keep your computer cool and as long as your temperatures were okay then you're golden but i guess not. I have the Nzxt H440 case with the intake fans and rear exhaust fans running at 100% with a Corsair h100i cooler with both fans running at 2100rpm releasing air thru the top of my case.I have no issues with temps but i just want to know if i should just leave it the way it is or make some adjustments.

Have more intake than exhaust so you get positive pressure. Make sure your intake fans have some filter to avoid dust entering the PC and youre set.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

8 minutes ago, Techinoob said:

I have the same setup as you and I played around with different configs. What worked best for me in terms of minimum dust and lowest case temps was to have the rear exhaust, the radios for fans exhausting, and the three front fans intaking. Anything else and dust buildup increases. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

You should get a 1060/480 instead of the 980. 

Yeah i plan on upgrading :P

2 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

Have more intake than exhaust so you get positive pressure. Make sure your intake fans have some filter to avoid dust entering the PC and youre set.

Well the issue is that i can't control the intake or exhaust fans since they're connected on my nzxt fan hub i just wanted to know if having my fans like that is a issue, my intake fans already have a air filter 

Positive and negative air pressure is simply this; How much intake you have in comparison to exhaust. For example, if all fans are running at the same speed then 2 intake and 1 exhaust will give you positive pressure and 1 intake and 2 exhaust will give you negative pressure. Obviously the higher RPM fans you have will tip the pressure in either your intake's or exhaust's favour, depending on what the role of the fan is.

This whole positive and negative air pressure thing is taken into consideration too much in my opinion. It won't affect your cooling so much. Try maintain a slight positive air pressure to keep the case dragging dust in through all of the holes of your case. Many tech youtubers have done videos on the matter.

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

Just now, Techinoob said:

Yeah i plan on upgrading :P

Well the issue is that i can't control the intake or exhaust fans since they're connected on my nzxt fan hub i just wanted to know if having my fans like that is a issue, my intake fans already have a air filter 

Well normally you have 3 intake fans at the front and 1 exhaust at the top back on most cases.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

2 minutes ago, ThatCarlosGuy said:

Positive and negative air pressure is simply this; How much intake you have in comparison to exhaust. For example, if all fans are running at the same speed then 2 intake and 1 exhaust will give you positive pressure and 1 intake and 2 exhaust will give you negative pressure. Obviously the higher RPM fans you have will tip the pressure in either your intake's or exhaust's favour, depending on what the role of the fan is.

This whole positive and negative air pressure thing is taken into consideration too much in my opinion. It won't affect your cooling so much. Try maintain a slight positive air pressure to keep the case dragging dust in through all of the holes of your case. Many tech youtubers have done videos on the matter.

yes i understand this but before i had any idea of "positive/negative" airflow i simply just had my fans running above normal to have lower temps but i don't know if i should leave it the way it is now or i should lower the exhaust fan rpm because the only ones i can control is my h100i fans because the rear exhaust fan and 3 intake fans are running at 100% 

5 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I have the same setup as you and I played around with different configs. What worked best for me in terms of minimum dust and lowest case temps was to have the rear exhaust, the radios for fans exhausting, and the three front fans intaking. Anything else and dust buildup increases. 

Read the post above ^ pretty much the same reply :P i just missed your post

1 minute ago, Techinoob said:

yes i understand this but before i had any idea of "positive/negative" airflow i simply just had my fans running above normal to have lower temps but i don't know if i should leave it the way it is now or i should lower the exhaust fan rpm because the only ones i can control is my h100i fans because the rear exhaust fan and 3 intake fans are running at 100% 

If it's working for you, why change it? Your config will be fine as it is, nothing detrimental will go wrong because of the way you have it.Like you said, your temperatures are fine so I wouldnt worry too much.

So as I understand you have the 3 standard intake fans at the front, an exhaust at the back and 2 exhaust pushing through your radiator at the top, all at max speed? Well if all the fans are the same you will theoretically have neutral pressure in your case. Since you can slow your CPU rad fans down, try slow them down a little bit and you will have slightly positive pressure. It'll keep dust down and still give you just the same amount of effective cooling  as your current config.

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

The advantage of positive airflow is to prevent dust from coming in through unfiltered openings.

If you're not seeing any dust buildup in your system, don't worry about it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, ThatCarlosGuy said:

If it's working for you, why change it? Your config will be fine as it is, nothing detrimental will go wrong because of the way you have it.Like you said, your temperatures are fine so I wouldnt worry too much.

So as I understand you have the 3 standard intake fans at the front, an exhaust at the back and 2 exhaust pushing through your radiator at the top, all at max speed? Well if all the fans are the same you will theoretically have neutral pressure in your case. Since you can slow your CPU rad fans down, try slow them down a little bit and you will have slightly positive pressure. It'll keep dust down and still give you just the same amount of effective cooling  as your current config.

Yes the 3 standard intake fans are 3 120 mm fans running at 100% and the rear 140mm fan running at 100% as well my 2 exhaust fans pushing air through my radiator at the top are at a 2100rpm speed i didnt see any dust build up really i just was confused with this positive/negative airflow thing and didn't know exactly what to do.

Ah well generally, 140mm fans will push more air than 120mm fans, so theoretically you will have negative pressure. Although if you're not noticing much dust build up I wouldnt worry about it. Maybe you have a really clean living environment so it's not so bad for you. If it's not broke, don't fix it :) its fine as it is, albeit maybe a bit noisy to some people.

EVE (My Gaming Build)

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The advantage of positive airflow is to prevent dust from coming in through unfiltered openings.

If you're not seeing any dust buildup in your system, don't worry about it. 

I missed this comment, but i guess like @ThatCarlosGuy said if it ain't broken don't fix it :P i was just curious as i just saw a video talking about it and it left me wondering.