My new Skylake build runs hotter than my 4-year old Ivy Bridge build

My 6700K on factory settings runs much hotter than my 3770K. Is this expected? Or is it my case/cooler setup for this particular new build?

My old Ivy Bridge build has a Noctua NH-D14 air cooling it inside a Cooler Master HAF 912 case while my new Skylake build has a Corsair H110i GTX liquid cooler inside a Phanteks Eclipse P400 case.

Overwatch runs at a consistent 67-68 degrees C in my old build while it runs 75-80 degrees C in the new one.

Same graphics card for both builds. Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 980 Ti. Graphics card runs at a reasonable temp on both systems, but I believe my Skylake build's case temp is much hotter...

EDIT: I would swap coolers and cases to test my assumptions out further, but I want to hear other people's experiences first. Thanks!

Sounds like you have something else chewing up processing power and your fan curve might be to generous to allow good cooling with the 110i and fans. Check what is using your CPU and try upping your fan speed a bit. it sucks, but the Corsair coolers use a very slim rad and thus have a very dense FPI count requiring a higher fan RPM to effectively move air to cool the water and thus producing much higher noise levels :/

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

80*C on an Extreme model?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Sounds like you have something else chewing up processing power and your fan curve might be to generous to allow good cooling with the 110i and fans. Check what is using your CPU and try upping your fan speed a bit. it sucks, but the Corsair coolers use a very slim rad and thus have a very dense FPI count requiring a higher fan RPM to effectively move air to cool the water and thus producing much higher noise levels :/

I wish I knew this before I made my purchase... I thought the H110i was going to be quiet... It gets incredibly loud while gaming. It's a little jarring for me, since this is my first liquid cooled build. 

Just now, Pohernori said:

80*C on an Extreme model?

Oh my bad! That was CPU. Not GPU. I'll make the corrections.

The Corsair coolers are decent, but definitely not quiet. Unfortunately this is what is happening as you likely have the fan RPM turned down to much to effectively dissipate the heat from your radiator :/

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

The Corsair coolers are decent, but definitely not quiet. Unfortunately this is what is happening as you likely have the fan RPM turned down to much to effectively dissipate the heat from your radiator :/

It gets super loud though. D:

You may honestly be better putting your NH-D14 on there if you still have it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, legacy99 said:

You may honestly be better putting your NH-D14 on there if you still have it. 

That's a real shame... :( I thought the liquid cooling was an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

Oh my bad! That was CPU. Not GPU. I'll make the corrections.

I think it may not have been installed correctly o.O

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Reskiy said:

It gets super loud though. D:

Yea, unfortunately thats the trade off with Corsair AIO coolers :/ To achieve best temps, you need to ramp the fans up and get quite loud to effectively dissipate the heat from the radiator because of the very high FPI, or Fins per Inch. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, legacy99 said:

Yea, unfortunately thats the trade off with Corsair AIO coolers :/ To achieve best temps, you need to ramp the fans up and get quite loud to effectively dissipate the heat from the radiator because of the very high FPI, or Fins per Inch. 

It doesn't seem to dissipate heat that well from my experience. :(

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

I think it may not have been installed correctly o.O

I don't doubt that. This is my first build. LOL

Just now, Reskiy said:

It doesn't seem to dissipate heat that well from my experience. :(

The Pump on it is PWM as well if I remember correctly, do you have the pump set to a higher flow rate as the temps climb?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

The Pump on it is PWM as well if I remember correctly, do you have the pump set to a higher flow rate as the temps climb?

Can I do that through the Corsair Link Software?

1 minute ago, Reskiy said:

I don't doubt that. This is my first build. LOL

Yea... Might want to do a check. 

Just now, Reskiy said:

Can I do that through the Corsair Link Software?

Should be able to check what RPM the pump is running at through Link. I personally run my Swiftech H220 off my motherboard fan pin header to control the speeds. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Might be worth upgrading your fans on the cooler to something quite that can move the air through the rad efficiently. Noctua nf-f12s might do the trick for you, I use one on my Corsair AIO and its very quite.

3 minutes ago, Linx105 said:

Might be worth upgrading your fans on the cooler to something quite that can move the air through the rad efficiently. Noctua nf-f12s might do the trick for you, I use one on my Corsair AIO and its very quite.

Thanks for the suggestion! I might give that a shot once I build up my budget again.

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Should be able to check what RPM the pump is running at through Link. I personally run my Swiftech H220 off my motherboard fan pin header to control the speeds. 

Testing it out through Corsair Link Dashboard now. :)

36 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

My 6700K on factory settings runs much hotter than my 3770K. Is this expected? Or is it my case/cooler setup for this particular new build?

My old Ivy Bridge build has a Noctua NH-D14 air cooling it inside a Cooler Master HAF 912 case while my new Skylake build has a Corsair H110i GTX liquid cooler inside a Phanteks Eclipse P400 case.

Overwatch runs at a consistent 67-68 degrees C in my old build while it runs 75-80 degrees C in the new one.

Same graphics card for both builds. Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 980 Ti. Graphics card runs at a reasonable temp on both systems, but I believe my Skylake build's case temp is much hotter...

EDIT: I would swap coolers and cases to test my assumptions out further, but I want to hear other people's experiences first. Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is that you might not have any fresh air coming in.  Do you have any front intake fans installed?

...and why did you jump from the 3770K to the 6700K?  ...the 3770K is still a capable gaming CPU.

40 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

Well if it's like my 6700k (using an H100i V2) the stock voltages are WAY TO HIGH making it run hot, despite claiming 1.2volt in the BIOS HWMonitor showed it up closer to 1.4v, I overclocked to 4.5 Ghz and dropped the voltage to something around 1.29V (any lower and it lost stability) and stress testing on Aida 64 I don't break 71C In QUIET mode where I easily hit around 80C or more on stock voltages at stock speeds in Performance mode.

8 minutes ago, stconquest said:

The only thing I can think of is that you might not have any fresh air coming in.  Do you have any front intake fans installed?

...and why did you jump from the 3770K to the 6700K?  ...the 3770K is still a capable gaming CPU.

The radiator is mounted on the front with fans pushing air into it from the front. I feel like the case has horrible airflow, however and I'm starting to regret my decision in purchasing it.

I game a lot but I also do photo and video production for work that I take home.

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Well if it's like my 6700k (using an H100i V2) the stock voltages are WAY TO HIGH making it run hot, despite claiming 1.2volt in the BIOS HWMonitor showed it up closer to 1.4v, I overclocked to 4.5 Ghz and dropped the voltage to something around 1.29V (any lower and it lost stability) and stress testing on Aida 64 I don't break 71C In QUIET mode where I easily hit around 80C or more on stock voltages at stock speeds in Performance mode.

I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Beginning to think maybe getting new thermal paste would help. The thermal paste on the H110i is very dried up and thin from what I just checked...

This is odd to me, I have a 6700k in an H440 being cooled by a H90, I don't think my CPU temperatures have gotten that high, GPU yes, CPU no. What is the ambient room temperature? That does have a lot to play with it. I have my H90 set up as exhaust, doing the same may help you, also remember to have positive airflow, imo it helps it cool better.

(ignore the signature, I need to update it still)

NZXT H440, Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz (H90 AIO), MSI 780Ti, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, 16GB Corsair Venegance LP DDR4 @ 3000, Corsair RM750 PSU, Samsung 840 Pro (256GB) 2x WD Blue 1TB drives in RAID 1, 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 

Just now, Reskiy said:

Beginning to think maybe getting new thermal paste would help. The thermal paste on the H110i is very dried up and thin from what I just checked...

Well if you just checked it by removing it then you NEED to do new paste anyway.