reusing an unformatted hdd

Fractal13
Go to solution Solved by PenPoint,

First of all, no. It is not allowed to use a single license for several computers.

Second, when you replace your old drive to a new one and install Windows, you cannot see your name on it unless you did migration process.

An easy way to use Windows on a new drive is migration, which I said right above,

however if you are able to manage your computer I recommend you not to migrate but to reinstall new Windows on it.

Windows 10 DOESN'T embed itself, but recognizes its hardware configuration.

It's hard to read all your document, however it seems the best way for you is migration. There are various free or paid tools online.

Firstly, I want to know whether the key for Windows 10 pro I got can be used for more than 1 PC? I am selling my old PC so I will re use my old hard drive in the new build and replace it with a new one. Firstly if I did this, when I booted the old machine, and re installed Windows (not sure if I need to bios flash first or something) would it still be in my name? Which then I would need a new copy and to transfer the old one to my new PC. I'm guessing Windows embeds itself in the mobo so I'll have to get it switched to my new PC and then buy another copy. Also, with my old drive, once it is installed as is in the new PC, what will happen?  I'm guessing Windows won't just boot as normal as it won't be embedded in the mobo, but is there anyway I can reuse the hard drive without having to format it etc as keeping all the files on it would be much easier asuming I could remove old drivers, which by the way I don't know if these are strored on the mobo and so I would need to remove them on the old PC before reinstalling them. If you managed to understand anything which I said please help as it is very difficult to explain!

Just now, Fractal13 said:

Firstly, I want to know whether the key for Windows 10 pro I got can be used for more than 1 PC? I am selling my old PC so I will re use my old hard drive in the new build and replace it with a new one. Firstly if I did this, when I booted the old machine, and re installed Windows (not sure if I need to bios flash first or something) would it still be in my name? Which then I would need a new copy and to transfer the old one to my new PC. I'm guessing Windows embeds itself in the mobo so I'll have to get it switched to my new PC and then buy another copy. Also, with my old drive, once it is installed as is in the new PC, what will happen?  I'm guessing Windows won't just boot as normal as it won't be embedded in the mobo, but is there anyway I can reuse the hard drive without having to format it etc as keeping all the files on it would be much easier asuming I could remove old drivers, which by the way I don't know if these are strored on the mobo and so I would need to remove them on the old PC before reinstalling them. If you managed to understand anything which I said please help as it is very difficult to explain!

The windows 10 activation is married to motherboard. Keeping the old hard drive will not keep your windows 10 activation. Windows 10 is activated online when the motherboard matches Microsoft's online database. 

First of all, no. It is not allowed to use a single license for several computers.

Second, when you replace your old drive to a new one and install Windows, you cannot see your name on it unless you did migration process.

An easy way to use Windows on a new drive is migration, which I said right above,

however if you are able to manage your computer I recommend you not to migrate but to reinstall new Windows on it.

It's hard to read all your document, however it seems the best way for you is migration. There are various free or paid tools online.

Just now, Cij265 said:

The windows 10 activation is married to motherboard. Keeping the old hard drive will not keep your windows 10 activation. Windows 10 is activated online when the motherboard matches Microsoft's online database. 

So I can either re use the copy on the old PC with a new hdd (im guessing I can reset the name etc cos I'm re installing onto a new hdd or there will be a reset Windows option?) then if I put my new hdd and buy another copy of Windows, it will overwrite my current hdd, meaning I lose all files. So it's better to format my old drive, backing up files I need and then install with either the old or a new copy depending on if I can change the old one?

3 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

So I can migrate my old Windows copy and keep files on the hdd. Sounds like a better option.  Then I can clean install on the old PC just to be sure nothing is left behind. But as you recommend, using the old Windows copy on the same PC but reset will mean that my new PC will get a clean install rather than a migration so meaning I can use an sdd or something. 

Just now, Fractal13 said:

So I can migrate my old Windows copy and keep files on the hdd. Sounds like a better option.  Then I can clean install on the old PC just to be sure nothing is left behind. But as you recommend, using the old Windows copy on the same PC but reset will mean that my new PC will get a clean install rather than a migration so meaning I can use an sdd or something. 

Yup. Migrate first, and format your old drive.

And keep in mind that migration doesn't work when the total file capacity of your old drive is larger than the new drive's maximum capacity.