MSI X99a gaming pro carbon motherboard and Hyperx ram

G9x001

Just a heads up to let people know that the MSI X99A gaming pro carbon motherboard doesn't support 64GB of Kingston HX426C15FBK4/32 in two sets.

on the ram compatibility chart for the Motherboard it originally said that the board supported 8 DIMM's of the ram but it doesn't. (I have noticed that MSI has removed the information in regards to number of supported DIMM's) It will boot but after time will cause random boot failures and crashes I learnt the hard way and I am now looking for another kit that supports 64GB on this boards.

I hope this helps someone:D

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

@G9x001

Nice build dude. How is the board? Im looking to get it with my next build

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

@G9x001

The Board is solid for its price. Dual bios is great and very easy to use. The lighting is a big down fall as there are a lot of LED's that light up on the board and can't be changed from either red or white. such as the Bios, RAM XMP and boost knob position indicators that can't be turned off. The sound on the board isn't that great either. It does overclock well but all in all its just really a standard motherboard with RGB but looks crap in any colour but RED because of the LEDS like I said. the photo shows the build when I originally set it up and was meant to be blue. the RED (or white depends on position) LED's really do destroy the aesthetics of the board. all in all I give it 6 out of 10IMG_0274.JPG.  

22 hours ago, G9x001 said:

The Board is solid for its price. Dual bios is great and very easy to use. The lighting is a big down fall as there are a lot of LED's that light up on the board and can't be changed from either red or white. such as the Bios, RAM XMP and boost knob position indicators that can't be turned off. The sound on the board isn't that great either. It does overclock well but all in all its just really a standard motherboard with RGB but looks crap in any colour but RED because of the LEDS like I said. the photo shows the build when I originally set it up and was meant to be blue. the RED (or white depends on position) LED's really do destroy the aesthetics of the board. all in all I give it 6 out of 10

-snip-

What CPU do you have? (Curious as to why it doesn't OC well)

Also, is that soft tube? Its really hard to tell. Great looking build

The CPU is a i7 6900k as I said the board does overclock well. It just doesn't support the ram configurations that are on the MSI web site under the Ram compatibility list. the tubing is soft tube I really don't like the look of hard tubing. Thanks for the compliment.

1 hour ago, G9x001 said:

The CPU is a i7 6900k as I said the board does overclock well. It just doesn't support the ram configurations that are on the MSI web site under the Ram compatibility list. the tubing is soft tube I really don't like the look of hard tubing. Thanks for the compliment.

Generally speaking, when motherboard manufacturers list support for memory, they are generally referring to a complete certified set.  Your wording implies that you purchased two sets of 4 instead of one set of 8.  If that's the case, that configuration wouldn't necessarily be supported.

You can still get all 8 sticks to work if you have some time to manually adjust memory settings.  I would do that before purchasing another set of RAM.

On 10 September 2016 at 8:13 AM, TubsAlwaysWins said:

What CPU do you have? (Curious as to why it doesn't OC well)

Also, is that soft tube? Its really hard to tell. Great looking build

Just a heads up the motherboard died last night. Will not post. It has just been sent to MSI for RMA. Not happy with it at all. And I've just purchased a Asus ROG Strix motherboard to get me going again. I will keep you up to date with the out come of the problem. After doing some research it seems that I'm not the only person that has had problems with this board. 

18 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Generally speaking, when motherboard manufacturers list support for memory, they are generally referring to a complete certified set.  Your wording implies that you purchased two sets of 4 instead of one set of 8.  If that's the case, that configuration wouldn't necessarily be supported.

You can still get all 8 sticks to work if you have some time to manually adjust memory settings.  I would do that before purchasing another set of RAM.

It might seem the reason for not supporting the ram is because the board just died. It's been sent back for RMA I will post the outcome if they tell me what was wronge with it. After some research it seems that a lot of people are having issues with this board. In the mean time I have purchased a Asus ROG Strix board and see how it goes in the rig. 

msi has been having a UEFI issue on memory configs from what TTL had described on the x99 titanium review (8:52). seems they'd bundled the board with a vengeance 3200 kit, only to find that is the only 3200 kit that would function at that speed.

7 hours ago, G9x001 said:

Just a heads up the motherboard died last night. Will not post. It has just been sent to MSI for RMA. Not happy with it at all. And I've just purchased a Asus ROG Strix motherboard to get me going again. I will keep you up to date with the out come of the problem. After doing some research it seems that I'm not the only person that has had problems with this board. 

That sucks to hear, but at least you have another board to get your system back up.  

14 hours ago, G9x001 said:

Really? Thats disappointing because I really like the board

16 hours ago, G9x001 said:

This unfortunatly doesnt suprise me at all.

Msi cheaps out too much on their motherboards fatal components like vrm implementations.

But they also ask top dollar for it.

I personaly dont like Msi X99 boards atall.

Hopefully you will have better luck with the Asus X99 ROG Strix.

Well atleast you get an 8 "true" phase fully digital vrm implementation from IR.

Combined with IR3535M powerstages which are rated upto 60A, combined with 60A inductors, and 10K caps so that should be plenty decent for your 6900K.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2016 at 9:40 AM, TubsAlwaysWins said:

@G9x001

Sorry for the late reply. The board died and has been replaced by a Asus Strix x99 gaming board. As you could imagine I'm not very happy with the MSI board. It is a great looking board but I had nothing but problems with it. The Strix has been a solid board. Some pictures of the the board. I'm just waiting on some more lighting to finish the build.IMG_0500.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0497.JPG