Questions and stuff about a Wireless Adapter thing

SHiFT

Hello peeps.

I'm moving to Uni, and I am taking my gaming rig with me to the room / house I am renting. It has a modem and stuff, as usual, but cabling might be harder or more awkward since I am not alone, or living with my family, etc.

So I was thinking about a wireless adapter, plug in thing, so I could do the same thing just wirelessly. What are the big disadvantages? Would I still be able to game stuff like Battlefield and such and such?

Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

Thanks!

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

2 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

Hello peeps.

I'm moving to Uni, and I am taking my gaming rig with me to the room / house I am renting. It has a modem and stuff, as usual, but cabling might be harder or more awkward since I am not alone, or living with my family, etc.

So I was thinking about a wireless adapter, plug in thing, so I could do the same thing just wirelessly. What are the big disadvantages? Would I still be able to game stuff like Battlefield and such and such?

Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

Thanks!

If the modem that's already there is of very high quality and your internet is very fast (hopefully you've upgraded to fiber optic or gigabit internet) you could just buy a gigabit powerline adapter for ethernet without being beside an ethernet port

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

If the modem that's already there is of very high quality and your internet is very fast (hopefully you've upgraded to fiber optic or gigabit internet) you could just buy a gigabit powerline adapter for ethernet without being beside an ethernet port

I honestly have no idea about networking or adapters in general, even though I am quite the IT guy. Not my cup of tea. I'd be roughly above the modem / hub room and location wise in the house. 

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

The majority of universities have cable drops in their room that a modem hangs off of. If you've got a room mate or two there shouldn't be a big issue in running a few CAT5 cables from the modem to your workstation. You can pick up some really awesome cable management items on Amazon (Use the LTT Referral Code!) and run the cables along the baseboards of the room. There's even some really cool ones that adhere to carpet so it won't get pulled up, or you can go the conduit route and run them along the walls. Super easy to do.

If you want to do wireless that's just as easy if not easier. Depending on the universities cable internet provider is you may be able to lease a wireless cable modem at a slightly higher rate and not have to worry about hooking up a wireless router off your modem. Gaming over a wireless connection is very doable but definitely gets more difficult when in a congested area like a dorm with 100s of wireless devices all fighting for the best channel. You can download an app on your phone to scan for the best channel available and set the modem to use that one, make sure you're using the 5Ghz band if possible. :)

CISSP/CCNA Route & Switch/Network+/Sec+ currently working on CCNP Route. 8 Years of enterprise level IT work with Data Centers and Networking. 

Small time streamer and content creator who's constantly trying to improve.

Always offering a helping hand!

Just now, WINcon_Gaming said:

The majority of universities have cable drops in their room that a modem hangs off of. If you've got a room mate or two there shouldn't be a big issue in running a few CAT5 cables from the modem to your workstation. You can pick up some really awesome cable management items on Amazon (Use the LTT Referral Code!) and run the cables along the baseboards of the room. There's even some really cool ones that adhere to carpet so it won't get pulled up, or you can go the conduit route and run them along the walls. Super easy to do.

If you want to do wireless that's just as easy if not easier. Depending on the universities cable internet provider is you may be able to lease a wireless cable modem at a slightly higher rate and not have to worry about hooking up a wireless router off your modem. Gaming over a wireless connection is very doable but definitely gets more difficult when in a congested area like a dorm with 100s of wireless devices all fighting for the best channel. You can download an app on your phone to scan for the best channel available and set the modem to use that one, make sure you're using the 5Ghz band if possible. :)

No, no. Sorry, I live in a RENTED house, not in University housing because that is quite garbage. Also in Belfast, UK. There's only maybe 2 others using the WiFi at the same time or even less, since they are working.

Just now, SHiFT said:

I honestly have no idea about networking or adapters in general, even though I am quite the IT guy. Not my cup of tea. I'd be roughly above the modem / hub room and location wise in the house. 

ill tell you how to install it 

a) buy a gigabit powerline kit from tp link

b) plug in one adapter to the actual wall outlet (can't be an extension) beside your router/modem

c) attach an ethernet cable to the adapter and connect the other end to the modem/router

d) do the same thing with the other adapter, plug it in to the actual wall outlet beside ur pc and then plug the ethernet cable into ur pc and the adapter. 

DONE! YOU NOW HAVE GIGABIT ETHERNET (SPEEDS MAY VARY DEPENDING ON LOADS AND HOW FAST YOUR ISP PLAN IS)

3 hours ago, SHiFT said:

No, no. Sorry, I live in a RENTED house, not in University housing because that is quite garbage. Also in Belfast, UK. There's only maybe 2 others using the WiFi at the same time or even less, since they are working.

Awesome! Even easier than, your cable provider should be able to offer you that wireless cable modem and you'll be good to go.  :) If you're lucky maybe you can pick the room with the coax cable for the modem so you can have a hard line to your PC!

CISSP/CCNA Route & Switch/Network+/Sec+ currently working on CCNP Route. 8 Years of enterprise level IT work with Data Centers and Networking. 

2 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

ill tell you how to install it 

a) buy a gigabit powerline kit from tp link

b) plug in one adapter to the actual wall outlet (can't be an extension) beside your router/modem

c) attach an ethernet cable to the adapter and connect the other end to the modem/router

d) do the same thing with the other adapter, plug it in to the actual wall outlet beside ur pc and then plug the ethernet cable into ur pc and the adapter. 

DONE! YOU NOW HAVE GIGABIT ETHERNET (SPEEDS MAY VARY DEPENDING ON LOADS AND HOW FAST YOUR ISP PLAN IS)

They seem to be quite expensive, around the £50-£100 mark, is there no plug in sticks and stuff that can be used? Or would this be more stable and just better overall than using a WiFi connection for gaming and stuff?

2 minutes ago, WINcon_Gaming said:

Awesome! Even easier than, your cable provider should be able to offer you that wireless cable modem and you'll be good to go.  :) If you're lucky maybe you can pick the room with the coax cable for the modem so you can have a hard line to your PC!

It seems to be with Virgin media, the modem in the house. I mean it wouldn't be the most difficult to route a simple ethernet cable from that into my room, just need to measure things and can use the plastic hook things that can just tighten the cable down. I do not wish to spend a lot of my money on this you know, that's how it currently works now.

Just now, SHiFT said:

They seem to be quite expensive, around the £50-£100 mark, is there no plug in sticks and stuff that can be used? Or would this be more stable and just better overall than using a WiFi connection for gaming and stuff?

This would be way more stable. Im not sure about boxing day or black friday in the UK but i assume it's like canada. The day after christmas there are huge sales with most things that usually go unsold up to 80 percent off. I'd just try to live off of the wifi for now and wait till huge sales. But yes, the powerline would be WAY faster than wifi as conflicting channels and signals from all kinds of devices won't matter

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

This would be way more stable. Im not sure about boxing day or black friday in the UK but i assume it's like canada. The day after christmas there are huge sales with most things that usually go unsold up to 80 percent off. I'd just try to live off of the wifi for now and wait till huge sales. But yes, the powerline would be WAY faster than wifi as conflicting channels and signals from all kinds of devices won't matter

I see, I can still consider doing the old fashioned way of getting a custom length ethernet cable and run that along the stairs up to the room. Not impossible, can be done in a bit of time really. Because I seen some adapters, wireless ones that are just plugged in as a USB and just live / feed off the WiFi. Just not sure how that could be used for my gaming needs haha, never used wireless. Always been a desktop, stationary guy.

3 hours ago, SHiFT said:

It seems to be with Virgin media, the modem in the house. I mean it wouldn't be the most difficult to route a simple ethernet cable from that into my room, just need to measure things and can use the plastic hook things that can just tighten the cable down. I do not wish to spend a lot of my money on this you know, that's how it currently works now.

If you want the easiest and least technical solution, not to mention the one that makes most sense. This is totally it mate! Just get some good cable management tools and plan a route to run the CAT5 cable. :) If you're not in a super densely populated area gaming on your wireless connection should be no issue at all. When you get to your new place check out what channels are being using with a "WiFi analyzer" app on your phone. 

1 minute ago, SHiFT said:

I see, I can still consider doing the old fashioned way of getting a custom length ethernet cable and run that along the stairs up to the room. Not impossible, can be done in a bit of time really. Because I seen some adapters, wireless ones that are just plugged in as a USB and just live / feed off the WiFi. Just not sure how that could be used for my gaming needs haha, never used wireless. Always been a desktop, stationary guy.

The wireless is fine for web browsing and hd video watching but other than that, if you're using an usb dongle for your desktop, it is very slow for gaming. Still recommend direct ethernet doesn't matter if its powerline (more neat and organized and less hassle) or a cheaper way using one really long cat 5 cable

2 minutes ago, WINcon_Gaming said:

If you want the easiest and least technical solution, not to mention the one that makes most sense. This is totally it mate! Just get some good cable management tools and plan a route to run the CAT5 cable. :) If you're not in a super densely populated area gaming on your wireless connection should be no issue at all. When you get to your new place check out what channels are being using with a "WiFi analyzer" app on your phone. 

Apparently it is easy to use the dongle I believe it is called? Just plug it in and connect to the WiFi as if with a laptop for example.

I might need to measure the distance and get my dad to help me out, he's more precise and all that, you know, he's quite technical so I guess that's fine. 

Dongles are also quite cheap, so I'll see what I should do or what's the best, but I always preferred the cable, since that is solid, reliable and just the good old way haha.

I would just use a USB 3.1/3 (3.1 is 10GB/sec and 3 is 5/sec) WiFi adapter that can support 802.11 ac (~Gigabyte Speeds). Those aren't that expensive.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

Just now, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

I would just use a USB 3.1/3 (3.1 is 10GB/sec and 3 is 5/sec) WiFi adapter that can support 802.11 ac (~Gigabyte Speeds). Those aren't that expensive.

I don't mind if it's not the cheapest, because I do wish to download and stuff.

Just now, SHiFT said:

I don't mind if it's not the cheapest, because I do wish to download and stuff.

Yea, a USB 3 WiFi adapter that supports 802.11 AC would be on par with a PCI-E WiFi card.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

2 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

Yea, a USB 3 WiFi adapter that supports 802.11 AC would be on par with a PCI-E WiFi card.

If this is not too much, could you link me one on Amazon you'd buy, that is good for my needs? Or maybe a few separate ones in different ranges?

32 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

If this is not too much, could you link me one on Amazon you'd buy, that is good for my needs? Or maybe a few separate ones in different ranges?

Any of the 3 TP-Link PCI-e WiFi cards will work fairly well and are highly recommended by myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Archer-T9E-Wireless-Beamforming-Low-profile/dp/B00TQEX7AQ

I actually used to recommend these back when I worked at a retail store that sold PCI-e WiFi cards because ours sucked.

71Y8gKYxo8L._SL1500_[1].jpg

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

16 hours ago, WINcon_Gaming said:

Could you maybe link me some good WiFi adapters that are quite high speed and stuff? The ones I can just plug into the computer and use easily?