Building a living room PC - could use a 2nd opinion

Dukanater

3 minutes ago, cpuwaiy said:

I would wait for Kaby Lake.  Better GPU plus HEVC.

No reason to. The performance gain and price difference is not worth it. 

With intel, buy whats available when you buy, the difference in generational performance is tiny.

19 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

OH! By streaming i thought u meant Streaming to Twitch xD well in that case make a build with the Pentium G3258 and just use the stock cooler and give it a overclock to 4.2Ghz

No. The 860k is a better multitasking and media cpu, its 4 threads allow it run run a wider array of situations and do so better, than the g32 skew. That and overclocking of that kind requires a decent motherboard which will only drive up the price.

You get a g32 if you plan to upgrade the cpu within a year or so of purchase. Its a temp cpu if you will. You get the athlon 860k if you need something to last longer, and want the better media performance it offers. Will it get as high fps in poorly cpu optimized games? No. Will it perform just as well if not better in a wide array of uses though? Yes.

@op, your build is fine, i see no issues with it. That ssd is dated, but still much faster than a mechanical drive. Other than that, i see no issues.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

For your RAM I would get in 2x4 instead if 1x8, other than that looks good

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

6 minutes ago, Maximoose said:

For your RAM I would get in 2x4 instead if 1x8, other than that looks good

Under normal circumstances that would be advisable. However, if he ever wanted to upgrade his ram to remove future bottlenecks, then he would have to buy a kit of 16gbs, as opposed to just another 8gb stick, because, the motherboard in his build only has two dim slots.

For his use case, running dual channel as opposed to single will only offer menial gains at best.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||