I finally have WiFi in my bedroom

kburton97

I think this might belong in networking but I'm not sure so I'll just shove it here and hope for the best :P

So, for the past year or so when I've been away from home for school I've had really bad WiFi in my bedroom. The problem is that from the AP to my bed is through 3 solid brick walls diagonally and upwards. Hopefully my very crude drawing in Paint will make this easier to understand. 

The problem is, because the house was built over 100 years ago, there isn't any wired networking in the house. And, because of the fabulous way our wiring works in the UK, the powerline adaptors I have in the house only work in one socket in my room, which just so happens to be behind my wardrobe.

About an hour ago, I thought to my self enough is enough. I dug out an AP I had laying around from when my Aunt moved offices and set to work installing it. It was at that point I realised that the power cable for it was only 1m long. I thought about extending the 12v adaptor for it but that seemed like too much effort. So I googled to see if i could get a power over Ethernet adaptor. But then I remembered that I spent all of my money at McDonalds so that was out of the question. 

I did another google to see if i could make my own POE adaptor, and it turns out they are quite simple. Just use the 4 leftover wires in a Cat 5 cable for power. I sabotaged a cheap Chinese 12v adaptor that I had laying around from one of my other failed projects, attached each end to a piece of Cat5 (It just so happens that I keep a 305m reel of Cat5 in my bedroom, don't even ask why). Since I had a long enough bit of Cat5, I decided to put the AP in a better place, above my door so that it is more in the centre of the house, so I could get better WiFi in my office as well. (I have also attached a crude drawing of this).

I have also attached a photo of what it looks like in the end. It's not pretty but it does the job. I didn't have any white heat shrink so black had to do, and the bright green lights on the AP were annoying so I thought I would be clever and use white electrical tape to cover it, but apparently Poundland don't know what colour white is.

With the new AP, my internet speed goes up from around 0.7mbps to a blistering fast 11.26mbps. We can get faster internet but I get 200mbps internet at college so if I need to download or upload anything big, I just do it there.

2016-09-06 22.09.46.jpg

Another Very Crude Drawing.png

Very Crude Drawing.png

Laptop: HP Pavilion 15 'Gaming' - Intel Core i7 6700HQ - 16GB RAM - 480GB SSD - NVIDIA GeForce 950M 4GB - Half Decent 15.6" 1920x1080 Display

Desktop: Currently non existent

Phones: Bush Windows Phone (Yes, that's Argos' own brand) - Samsung Galaxy S4 (Currently just an alarm clock) - 2 x Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 Silver

I get where you're coming from. I wish I had a prefabricated house. I've got ethernet cables running all around the house. Been thinking of getting a switch for my room personally.

Good job, the only thing I am wondering is why didn't you continue the run of cat5 to further into your room, then you could've had wired network to your PC and also wireless via that AP?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Good job, the only thing I am wondering is why didn't you continue the run of cat5 to further into your room, then you could've had wired network to your PC and also wireless via that AP?

The powerline adaptor that I have only has one ethernet and I really don't fancy having any more cables coming out of the AP. I have a switch in a box downstairs somewhere so when I find that, I will do a better job of the wired. But my main priority for now is having the WiFi. And, to be honest, when the internet is this bad, there's no difference between the wired and WiFi.

Laptop: HP Pavilion 15 'Gaming' - Intel Core i7 6700HQ - 16GB RAM - 480GB SSD - NVIDIA GeForce 950M 4GB - Half Decent 15.6" 1920x1080 Display

Phones: Bush Windows Phone (Yes, that's Argos' own brand) - Samsung Galaxy S4 (Currently just an alarm clock) - 2 x Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 Silver

4 minutes ago, kburton97 said:

The powerline adaptor that I have only has one ethernet and I really don't fancy having any more cables coming out of the AP. I have a switch in a box downstairs somewhere so when I find that, I will do a better job of the wired. But my main priority for now is having the WiFi. And, to be honest, when the internet is this bad, there's no difference between the wired and WiFi.

Ahh I see, lol... just noticed that it was draytek vigor and thought "OMG you're only using it for wifi?".

Personally, if my internet was that bad I'd want to squeeze out every drop I could... I used to have bad-ish wifi (about 7 Mbit/s), but luckily we got upgraded to FTTC last year and I get around 65-70Mbit/s now day and night. I hope to see the day we get upgraded to Gigabit, but as we live out in the countryside, doubt that will happen within my lifetime... best I can hope for is fibre to the node which might see us get around 300Mbit/s if they get approval and costing goes well enough for them to roll it out in my area... here's hoping :D

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Ahh I see, lol... just noticed that it was draytek vigor and thought "OMG you're only using it for wifi?".

Personally, if my internet was that bad I'd want to squeeze out every drop I could... I used to have bad-ish wifi (about 7 Mbit/s), but luckily we got upgraded to FTTC last year and I get around 65-70Mbit/s now day and night. I hope to see the day we get upgraded to Gigabit, but as we live out in the countryside, doubt that will happen within my lifetime... best I can hope for is fibre to the node which might see us get around 300Mbit/s if they get approval and costing goes well enough for them to roll it out in my area... here's hoping :D

We used to be with Virgin Media here but we got rid of them because we didn't watch the TV much. We then decided to just go with TalkTalk because they were pretty much giving it away. At home, we just upgraded to 'fibre' with talktalk so we get 30mbps, but I can't really complain because when our contract ended I was talking to them and just kept asking for more and more stuff so I ended up getting unlimited 'fibre' broadband, TV, mobile and anytime calls to anyone for half the price we were paying. TalkTalk must really want customers :P

I wish we could get cable here :(

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

I wish we could get cable here :(

The only good side to living in a somewhat urban area is that you get somewhat decent internet speeds. My actual house is in a reasonable sized town near Durham but get's absolutely nothing in terms of fast internet. Unless you count 4G, I get around 100mbps laying in bed, as long as I hold my phone at a certain angle a certain distance away from the window.