Headphones suggestions?

natey_g

In looking for a good pair of headphones, preferably wireless but not a must. Obviously i would like them to sound good but a price of less than 350$ would be nice. I would use these around the house and on long trips so comfort is key. A more nit picky thing is that they are appealing to the eye!

A few I've been looking at are:

Audio techinica ath m50x:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473121475&sr=8-3&keywords=audio+technica+ath-m50x

Bose QC 35:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3SNO3E/ref=twister_B01EL7VTC0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

VMODA Crossfade wireless:

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphone/dp/B015R7AGHC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1473121546&sr=1-1&keywords=vmoda+crossfade+wireless

All suggestions are welcome!

Audiotechnica MSR7 are a good pair that sound good and dont look ugly. SInce they are closed, you wont have to worry about background noise getting in and your music getting out, which is importand when you are on the go.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-Gun-Metal-Resolution-Headphone/dp/B00OTADUJA

An even better option would be the Foxtex T50RP MK3 but the look of them isnt as good

https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Professional-Studio-Headphones-Semi-Open/dp/B0167XM092

I absolutely would not recommend any of the headphones that you listed though. They are overhyped and there are much better values for money out there, such as the ones i listed.

CtW said some pretty good suggestions, but a good option would also be the sennheiser momentum  2 wireless over ear.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-Momentum-Around-Wireless-Black/dp/B00SNI44CQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473125473&sr=8-3&keywords=sennheiser+momentum

they are pretty expensive but they are high quality, I speak from experience.

2 minutes ago, Dead_Record said:

CtW said some pretty good suggestions, but a good option would also be the sennheiser momentum  2 wireless over ear.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-Momentum-Around-Wireless-Black/dp/B00SNI44CQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473125473&sr=8-3&keywords=sennheiser+momentum

they are pretty expensive but they are high quality, I speak from experience.

imo if you are looking for raw quality i would steer away from wireless headphones, also batteries are annoying. compared to other wireless options those are good.

I actually bought the M50's a year ago to possibly be headphones I'd use around campus and out of the house. I loved them, they were lightweight, good sound, good quality, all around great for the price. I did unfortunately return them because for me headphones inside the house are fine but outside I prefer in ears.

All in all I would definitely recommend them because my reasons for returning them had nothing to do with the product besides a preference to in ear's over headphones.

Personally I would recommend the Audio Technicas. Good brand, great quality, good looking, and significant praise. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

I have no idea what to put here so I'll just put what I'm putting here so I guess now I know what I'm putting here.

Audio Technica MSR7s and M50Xs are good and all, but if it's comfort you're looking for, it might not be the best choice since they both have pretty strong clamping. For comfort, I'd recommend the Sony MDR-1A, if you don't mind a bit more bass (sound signature is similar to the M50Xs, to my ears, at least).

They're currently $190 on Amazon for the international model, which is a steal if you're willing to risk a flaky warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-1A-Headphone-International-warranty/dp/B00NW353KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473128451&sr=8-1&keywords=MDR+1A

Bose QC35 sound quality is decent, the 'QC' line is more known for ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) than anything else. They are comfy and have the best ANC around, so IF you're on the go trips often and in a relatively noisy environment, then yeah, it's a good choice. I'd stay away from the M50X, high clamping force and very narrow soundstage with bass emphasis kills any sort of music enjoyment.......for me anyway. Sorry for saying this, but peeps who recommend the M50X are usually those who have NOT tried better headphones (at about the same price range).

I had a V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and I liked it, but like most closed back cans, it doesn't have a wide soundstage, and is quite bass heavy......it's built like a tank though, and looks great. Sold it to my friend who's an unabashed basshead, and he's loving it.

@natey_g, what's your preferred sound signature? You prefer more bass? More treble? Have you try any headphones recently and liked the sound, can you identify it? This would give us a better idea what sorta sound signature you like....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

M50x is really good. Nice design, comfortable, brilliant sound. Honestly can't go wrong with them especially considering the prices of the other headphones.

58 minutes ago, sparrow_jet said:

believe it or not the m40x's sound better than the m50x's.

That's because it has smaller driver with less bass emphasis, I've not heard it myself but from what I've gathered, it has a more neutral sound.....NOT that it's neutral per se. 

No, afraid I'd haven't disagree with you, GalactusKin,  the M50X isn't 'really good'......at all.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

oh god did the m50x fan club just have a circle jerk or what? I have not seen this much circle jerk around the m50/m50x in a long time. The people who love them have typically not tried  any of the better cans around the same price. If you are around a lot of noise often and you need to focus get the QC35, Bose is known for having the best ANC, but if you are not around a lot of noise and can live with hearing the noise a bit, then I would like to ask you some things, what sound signature do you want/like? ( what do you like more focus on? Bass, mids, treble, a mix?) have you heard some headphones were you were like wow I really like the sound of these.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

What about the Sony MDR-XB950BT? Wireless, comfortable and it has much bass, so they are great for EDM, hip-hop and more (if you are into that).

It'll depend on what environment you're going to use them in. Open back or closed back? 
I personally love the AD900X (openback) Audio technica, If closed back then I would likely choose Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro or M50X. 

Case: Manta Mini ITX Black
CPU: I5-6600K
CPU: Cooler: Corsair H105
Ram: 16Gb (2x8Gb) 2133Mhz HyperX 
GPU: 1070 Sea Hawk X
Storage: 120Gb, 480Gb Intel SSD 
PSU: 650W EVGA Bronze

Peripheral: 144Hz VG248QE TN, 60Hz MX239H IPS, Bose Companion 5 2.1 TrueSpace, M65 Corsair 8200DPI, Razer Vespula Foam Wrist mouse pad, K70 Corsair Mechanical Red backlit, ATH-ADG1 AudioTechnica Open back, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed back, DXracer Drift series

M50x's are a goood choice. My friend has a pair, and yes, they're the best-seller for a reason. Great for accurate sound (big ups if you're interested in using DAWs or making music in general), but the bass obviously won't be as slappy, since they are monitors. I personally have the Momentums from Sennheiser ($100, also Linus reviewed them a while back so you can get the OG's opinion) which I prefer over the Technicas for casual listening (they have kind of a warm sound to them that I enjoy). They do look unique, though, so if you prefer the m50 style they might not be that appealing.

9 minutes ago, TheoKA said:

M50x's are a goood choice. My friend has a pair, and yes, they're the best-seller for a reason. Great for accurate sound (big ups if you're interested in using DAWs or making music in general), but the bass obviously won't be as slappy, since they are monitors. I personally have the Momentums from Sennheiser ($100, also Linus reviewed them a while back so you can get the OG's opinion) which I prefer over the Technicas for casual listening (they have kind of a warm sound to them that I enjoy). They do look unique, though, so if you prefer the m50 style they might not be that appealing.

They're best seller because people don't know better, that's like claiming beats are great because they sold tons. For worthwhile options there's the dt770 and dt990 both are on sale for a very low price:

Dt990 - $109

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7NT4SU1817&Tpk=9SIA7NT4SU1817&cm_sp=

Dt770 - $129.99

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-Black/dp/B01ERLN180/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473101034&sr=8-1&keywords=dt770+all+black

Edit: Oh didn't look at op's budget, for $350 I might just go for the EL-8 refurbished. Not my favorite $400+ headphones, and definitely not at its msrp, but for that price it's hard to resist.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=9077311&SID=7bb7b888736711e69fd182135842bed80INT&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=9SIA4P04JV9345&Tpk=9SIA4P04JV9345&cm_sp=

Thank you all for the posts!!!

I will look into all the given choices and pick a winner!