PC won't boot after r9 380 installation

Go to solution Solved by Space Reptile,

make shure you used the right powerplug 

try resetting bios , (turn psu off , remove battery from MB , wait a minute , turn psu on and see if it starts , if yes reinsert battery ) 

Hey guys,

About two month ago i build a rig for my sister, sporting a FX 8300 on an old ASRock mainbord.

We installed a used Nvidea 650 that she got from a friend, with the aim to upgrade to my ASUS r9 380 Strix when i got my RX 480 Nitro.

One month ago, i went on a two week trip, and thinking "well she could have my card in her rig for the time" i put my 380 into her rig, just to be greeted by an beepcode saying that the vram was malfunctioning.

But in my rig it works still perfectly... so i thought, well the Mainboard&BIOS might be so old (from 2009 or something like that) that it can't handle the 4gb of vram...

So we got the new ASRock AM3+ Board, that was released this year. we mounted the processor, ram and the r9 380 and looked, if it woulod post, in order to check if the new MB would work with the card. And it worked...

Today, after putting the just arrrived RX480 in my rig i wanted to upgrade hers to the r3 380.

Well, this time i got just 5 short beep, meaning that the CPU had a problem... but after putting the 650 back in, it worked fine with the Nvidea card...

I hope someone can help me getting her rig to work with the r9 380...

greets JD_Tiger

4 minutes ago, JD_Tiger said:

Hey guys,

About two month ago i build a rig for my sister, sporting a FX 8300 on an old ASRock mainbord.

We installed a used Nvidea 650 that she got from a friend, with the aim to upgrade to my ASUS r9 380 Strix when i got my RX 480 Nitro.

One month ago, i went on a two week trip, and thinking "well she could have my card in her rig for the time" i put my 380 into her rig, just to be greeted by an beepcode saying that the vram was malfunctioning.

But in my rig it works still perfectly... so i thought, well the Mainboard&BIOS might be so old (from 2009 or something like that) that it can't handle the 4gb of vram...

So we got the new ASRock AM3+ Board, that was released this year. we mounted the processor, ram and the r9 380 and looked, if it woulod post, in order to check if the new MB would work with the card. And it worked...

Today, after putting the just arrrived RX480 in my rig i wanted to upgrade hers to the r3 380.

Well, this time i got just 5 short beep, meaning that the CPU had a problem... but after putting the 650 back in, it worked fine with the Nvidea card...

I hope someone can help me getting her rig to work with the r9 380...

greets JD_Tiger

Its not getting enough power.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

8 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

Its not getting enough power.

What component is missing power?

When we first assembled the PC with the new Motherboard, it posted, with the same PSU, CPU, GPU...

Now, when removing everything exept for ram, cpu, mainbord and GPU, it won't post...

4 hours ago, JD_Tiger said:

What component is missing power?

When we first assembled the PC with the new Motherboard, it posted, with the same PSU, CPU, GPU...

Now, when removing everything exept for ram, cpu, mainbord and GPU, it won't post...

Either the motherboard is bad, OR you're not getting enough power to anything.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

25 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Either the motherboard is bad, OR you're not getting enough power to anything.

Hmm...

When we got the MB, it posted with the same PSU, CPU, Ram etc... now it doesn't, wich is my problem... we didn't do anything in the BIOS, haben't overclocked any component... but suddently it refuses to post...

Now to the point of not enough power: the system has a 650 Watt PSU, and even when powering the GPU with a second PSU (MB+CPU on the 650 Watt PSU and GPU on my 600 Watt) it will not post...

try resetting bios , (turn psu off , remove battery from MB , wait a minute , turn psu on and see if it starts , if yes reinsert battery ) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

will try this now...

Thanks for your support guys, i will report when finished...

Hey Guys,

Thank you very much, it works :D

writing to you from the freshly upgraded PC :D

You are the besst