New PSU or not?

Hi guys

I got an old pc with and Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz processor with stock cooler and 6 gigs of DDR3 ram (unknown brand) 1333MHz.

And i am wondering if i can put a HD7850 graphic card in the machine without replacing the PSU. The one that sits in the machine at the moment is an old FSP350-60MDN which has an onput on 350watt.

I know that the E8400 has an TDP at 65watt, so in my mind that would leave (approx) some 285 watt to the GPU but i am not sure.

There will be no OC on the machine and the only purpose for it will be just an video machine, ergo youtube and movies.

Should i try with the PSU or should i get another one?

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

Bear in mind that other components are pulling power as well, like the components on the motherboard(RAM and the chipsets for example).

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

15 minutes ago, Las_Killar said:

Hi guys

I got an old pc with and Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz processor with stock cooler and 6 gigs of DDR3 ram (unknown brand) 1333MHz.

And i am wondering if i can put a HD7850 graphic card in the machine without replacing the PSU. The one that sits in the machine at the moment is an old FSP350-60MDN which has an onput on 350watt.

I know that the E8400 has an TDP at 65watt, so in my mind that would leave (approx) some 285 watt to the GPU but i am not sure.

There will be no OC on the machine and the only purpose for it will be just an video machine, ergo youtube and movies.

Should i try with the PSU or should i get another one?

That's a pretty low end PSU. It'll probably work but I'd replace it myself.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You are playing with fire if it unknown brand PSU with all your parts.

Your PSU going run at 274 watts but reading reviews they recommend a 430 watt power supply with the graphics card.      

If you are using the pc for watching videos is it really necessary to upgrade the GPU? 

I would recommend upgrading the CPU to a newer one as this is in general will boost the performance of the pc in tasks such as watching videos and using the internet. This in turn would mean that you will not have to upgrade the power supply as 350 watts is more than enough for the CPU and other components like RAM and Hard drives. 

If you are set on upgrading the graphics card then use a power supply calculator that you can find online or use the one i linked. The HD7850 isn't a very power hungry card, only using around 100 to 110 watts on full load but i would recommend using the website just to be safe.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

12 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Bear in mind that other components are pulling power as well, like the components on the motherboard(RAM and the chipsets for example).

I know and that is why i am in doubt.

But my buddy has an Intel Core 2 duo with same TDP and a GTX 550 ti on a 330Watt PSU and he's machine is running but he is not pushing it or anything like i wouldn't do because of i just want it to watch movies on :)

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That's a pretty low end PSU. It'll probably work but I'd replace it myself.

I am also thinking about finding another but i don't need it to be an 80+ rated so could i just get a 500 watt PSU or ?

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

3 minutes ago, Las_Killar said:

but i don't need it to be an 80+ rated so could i just get a 500 watt PSU or ?

Bear in mind that the 80+ rating has nothing to do with the wattage. Lower wattage power supplies can have very high 80+ rating.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, SwarmEdits said:

If you are using the pc for watching videos is it really necessary to upgrade the GPU? 

I would recommend upgrading the CPU to a newer one as this is in general will boost the performance of the pc in tasks such as watching videos and using the internet. This in turn would mean that you will not have to upgrade the power supply as 350 watts is more than enough for the CPU and other components like RAM and Hard drives. 

If you are set on upgrading the graphics card then use a power supply calculator that you can find online or use the one i linked. The HD7850 isn't a very power hungry card, only using around 100 to 110 watts on full load but i would recommend using the website just to be safe.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

The Core 2 Duo doesn't have an intergrated GPU so the motherboard has an GPU chip but it is to slow to view youtube videos at 720P and i would like to watch 1080P, and the HD7850 is a leftover card from one of my previous machines so it would just be nice to make it to good use again :)

But thanks for the info and link :)

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Bear in mind that the 80+ rating has nothing to do with the wattage. Lower wattage power supplies can have very high 80+ rating.

I know :)
But i just want to save some bucks if i has to purchase another PSU (here in Denmark the rated PSU is overcharged in price)

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Main Server:

Spoiler

Nas Server:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Las_Killar said:

I am also thinking about finding another but i don't need it to be an 80+ rated so could i just get a 500 watt PSU or ?

An EVGA 650GQ will have way more wattage than you need, isn't super expensive, and should work well. It's also quiet. Too expensive? Maybe get a Corsair CX450M. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, Las_Killar said:

The Core 2 Duo doesn't have an intergrated GPU so the motherboard has an GPU chip but it is to slow to view youtube videos at 720P and i would like to watch 1080P, and the HD7850 is a leftover card from one of my previous machines so it would just be nice to make it to good use again :)

But thanks for the info and link :)

I know :)
But i just want to save some bucks if i has to purchase another PSU (here in Denmark the rated PSU is overcharged in price)

Therefore i would recommend upgrading the CPU and motherboard as this will offer more upgradability in the future and overall will make the pc feel more snappy due to a more up to date CPU.