30 minutes ago, Keithybub said:

Hello everyone my name is keith

Im looking for some people who know c++

im going to create my own os from scratch

if you want to help let me know ill pm me skype

Youll probably save up more by not going to work and learning c++

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1 hour ago, Nicholatian said:

200.gif

I hope you have a bank account with millions of dollars, because you’re not going to be able to pay developers enough to create a decent kernel + OS without cash like that. xD

Also, you need more than just C++ to write an OS’s kernel, like assembly code.

You could write the whole thing in C/C++. Most toolsuites allow you to generate a raw binary image from the object file in stead of generating a executable like you normally would.

You obviously cannot use system calls or functions that rely on them in such code.

He did not state how complex this OS is going to be. A simple single tasking OS that provides disk access, a way to load simple executables and basic terminal functionality for x86 could be whipped up rather quickly.

I want to make a nice and simple to use but basic os that can everything you need and i want to make it light weghit

2 hours ago, Keithybub said:

Yeah nevermind you guys just dont want me to do this

The problem is that you have no clear idea of what it would take to make an OS, you haven't given a clear idea of what you'd use the OS for either. If we knew what you'd use it for we can actually determine whether it needed to be built or could just point to an OS or piece of software that serves your needs.

Also, saying "I'm going to create my own OS from scratch" is a false statement since you're clearly wanting to pay someone to do it for you. So it'd be more accurate to say "I would like to pay someone to make a custom OS for X purpose"

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

If you really want to make an os I wouldn't do it from scratch start with the Linux kernel which anyone can download and use and then start with that even then making your own Linux would be challenging enough without even having to worry about creating your own kernel I mean yea you'd learn a hell of a lot but it would take many many hours to do this even with multiple people and in the end yea it's cool to say you built your own Linux using its kernel but no ones gonna spend that much of their time and not get paid for it you're essentially trying to reinvent something that's already been done and is proven through many generations of their respective OS so I'm gonna say this if your gonna do it it's all on you man no one's stopping you it's just not worth the time to most people because in the grand scheme of things no one will care that you made your own os...  What is gonna make yours better than anyone else's? plus Linux has loads of lightweight distros already good luck man

On 04/09/2016 at 6:39 AM, Keithybub said:

Yeah nevermind you guys just dont want me to do this

Making an OS from Scratch isn't the easiest thing to do. If you wanted to make your own Linux distro, that's a little different, but I feel like it's a case of re-inventing the wheel. You need to have some kind of tangible goal, "PM me on Skype" doesn't give me great confidence you have any kind of clear goal in mind.

You can't write a full OS in C++. It's just not do-able.

To my knowledge (Which I haven't studied OS Principles yet at university, and honestly I don't see the need to take that subject if I don't have to), all Kernels require some degree of assembly, which I assume is Intel x64/AMD64 Assembly to be specific. I'm willing to wager there's not not a tonne of people on here with a great deal of experience writing pure x64 assembly, particularly given how little there is on the subject online.

Lastly, you should know that Linus Torvalds looked into re-writing the Linux kernel in C++ back in the 90s. He found it was very easy to modify one section and have everything else break, hence why the Linux kernel, and even the Windows kernel, is still written in C (Again, to my knowledge). You can have the user-layer written in C++ (Everything that's not the kernel basically), and Windows does this.

Be aware that if you write your own kernel, there will be ZERO compatible software. Again, when you have a different kernel, much of the software you intend to use will need to be re-written, as most software, especially stuff written in low-level languages, uses some kind of platform-specific functionality which means it won't work on the wrong kernel.

This was one of the big challenges ReactOS faced. In order to keep compatibility with Windows software, they've spent almost 20 years trying to reverse engineer Microsoft's kernel using legal methods to achieve that goal of an open-source "Windows"

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

On 9/3/2016 at 9:35 AM, Keithybub said:

Hello everyone my name is keith

Im looking for some people who know c++

im going to create my own os from scratch

if you want to help let me know ill pm me skype

Ok. I want to help. what exactly are you trying to do, and what specific part of the process am I going to be responsible for?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 04/09/2016 at 3:37 AM, Keithybub said:

I want to make a nice and simple to use but basic os that can everything you need and i want to make it light weghit

It would be about 10,000x easier to start with the Linux kernel and work your way up from there.

5 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

All the actual work. He's just an ideas guy.

Then he'll kick back his feet with this fat stacks of cash on his private yacht going, "Wow, and I didn't even have to do anything. All of these guys just volunteered to build an OS! What suckers!"

I knew that. I was trying to mind checkers him into admitting it, but he wouldn't even respond.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Do you want me to wash your hands for you too, Sir?

19 hours ago, VulsaviiK said:

Making an OS from Scratch isn't the easiest thing to do. If you wanted to make your own Linux distro, that's a little different, but I feel like it's a case of re-inventing the wheel. You need to have some kind of tangible goal, "PM me on Skype" doesn't give me great confidence you have any kind of clear goal in mind.

You can't write a full OS in C++. It's just not do-able.

To my knowledge (Which I haven't studied OS Principles yet at university, and honestly I don't see the need to take that subject if I don't have to), all Kernels require some degree of assembly, which I assume is Intel x64/AMD64 Assembly to be specific. I'm willing to wager there's not not a tonne of people on here with a great deal of experience writing pure x64 assembly, particularly given how little there is on the subject online.

Lastly, you should know that Linus Torvalds looked into re-writing the Linux kernel in C++ back in the 90s. He found it was very easy to modify one section and have everything else break, hence why the Linux kernel, and even the Windows kernel, is still written in C (Again, to my knowledge). You can have the user-layer written in C++ (Everything that's not the kernel basically), and Windows does this.

Be aware that if you write your own kernel, there will be ZERO compatible software. Again, when you have a different kernel, much of the software you intend to use will need to be re-written, as most software, especially stuff written in low-level languages, uses some kind of platform-specific functionality which means it won't work on the wrong kernel.

This was one of the big challenges ReactOS faced. In order to keep compatibility with Windows software, they've spent almost 20 years trying to reverse engineer Microsoft's kernel using legal methods to achieve that goal of an open-source "Windows"

Yes and no, you typically write a kernel using a layered approach.  The lowest level layer typically does contain a decent bit of assembly, but you then build on top of that (typically in C, but it is not required.  Operating systems predate the C language.)  The probably with object oriented languages is overhead.  An operating system does not run like a typical program does, but largely consists of functions that are invoked by other programs or hardware interrupts.

Actually the basics of an operating system are (relatively speaking) simple.  If you do have any interest, you can check out the Xinu operating system.  It is specifically designed to be easy to understand to facilitate learning about how OS's are designed.  The only thing it does not really implement is virtual memory, which while generally considered necessary for a general purpose computer, is a whole different beast in and of itself.  It also, while supporting multiple processes, mutexes and semaphores, the kernel itself is not threadsafe.  It written specifically for two platforms, the Ti BeagleBone Black and Intel Galileo; neither of which are mutli-processor platforms.

As far as compatible software, there are some open standards (POSIX).  The program would have to be re-compiled, but the source code itself should be compatible if written to be POSIX compliant (MS does not adhere to the standard at all, but most linux software tries to despite linux itself not being fully compliant).

If other people code your OS then it's not your OS. Get your ass down and learn how to code. Then you might realize that C++ is not the language to write an OS. After that, you will look into what parts is an OS consisted of and realize no volunteer will ever PM you on Skype about writing them for free. After that you will look into what compatible software exists for your OS and you will realize there is none and you will have to rewrite everything from office to web browsers, just to do" everything". After that you will realize that it is anything but lightweight and that all the engineers at GNU, The Linux Foundation, Google, Apple and Microsoft do not just sit all day eating your cash( ok the last one maybe yes). 

And after all of that you will install Arch

I don't think he knows what he's really asking for.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel