Need to Make $2K

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
29 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

It's a 2008 F150 so it's worth a lot more than $2000. It's in very good shape and only just reached 100K on the odo.

Damn son a 2008 F150 in good condition (w/ 100K miles) for $2000? That's an awesome deal. My dad just recently sold his 2010 F150, and he got well over $10K for it, and it had at least (probably more) than 100K miles on it (He would drive it down from Ontario to Florida every year for at least 4 years in a row).

Here's my take on this: You seem to really want the truck. You don't seem to need your gaming PC (and can live without it for a while), since you said you have a decent laptop.

I'd say try and sell the PC for as much as you can get, add that to the $850 cash, and then save up whatever remaining difference, and get the truck.

Then take the next 6+ months and save up for a kickass gaming PC that you can slowly buy parts for over time, or just save up and get one all at once.

So, we have two cars. My mom's Kia and my dad's Ford (that is soon to be mine, which I will explain why). Recently I got my license, but luckily my dad has been out of the country so I've been using his Ford to get around to school and work.  But now he's back, so I thought I wouldn't have a car to drive anymore.

Well, turns out my dad will give me the Ford once I help with the down payment of his new car, something like a Kia or something idk. But my parents said that I need to give them $2K for the Ford basically. Currently I have around $850 in my bank, and I get paid every two weeks with a job that I make $8/hr at. But since I have school during the week I can only work weekends, which doesn't equate to a large paycheck every other week (usually I get paid around $600 but now I think I'm around $200 every couple weeks, idk yet it's only been a couple weeks of school). But I need that Ford ASAP, so I need to come up with ways to make the rest of the money quickly. I'm not talking about prostitution or some shit like that so please don't bring that up.

I was thinking of selling my PC but I don't know what it's valued at and how quickly I can sell the parts or the PC as a whole. As much as I like PC gaming, I need a vehicle first. Something I would hate to do is sell my prized possession of a PC but I do have a nice laptop, unfortunately I would be giving up gaming for the foreseeable future. I do also have a project car in my garage but idk if that's mine to sell, or if my parents would let me use the money from that towards their down payment.

I'm aiming to have the keys back in my hand within a week, but if I want to do that then I have to come up with something because my paycheck isn't going to be remotely enough remotely soon.

PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE COMMENTING SO YOU KNOW THE SITUATION!

Don't you have that SFF case? There were quite a lot people interested in purchasing it on your build thread. Maybe you could sell that? 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Pull your pants down, bend over and charge $3.50 per customer.

Linus is my fetish.

Do you have a bank account and any sort of credit rating?  You could apply for a short term car loan.

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

Don't you have that SFF case? There were quite a lot people interested in purchasing it on your build thread. Maybe you could sell that? 

I don't think there were many. Plus it only fits two GPUs as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

Pull your pants down, bend over and charge $3.50 per customer.

god dammit

1 hour ago, johnny5c said:

Do you have a bank account and any sort of credit rating?  You could apply for a short term car loan.

Yes, I have my own checking, in which I already have around $850. I'm not applying for any loans though, I think my parents want me to save it. It's a parenting thing ya know?

11 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

god dammit

Oh, did you already attract the loch ness monster?

Linus is my fetish.

15 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yes, I have my own checking, in which I already have around $850. I'm not applying for any loans though, I think my parents want me to save it. It's a parenting thing ya know?

I definitely know, I have a 17 year old daughter who just finished her first full summer of work and my wife and I have already talked her out of about 5 different major purchases. 

Before you sell something that you might regret in the future I would sit down with your dad and see if you can come up with something that might be a little easier on you.

Just now, johnny5c said:

I definitely know, I have a 17 year old daughter who just finished her first full summer of work and my wife and I have already talked her out of about 5 different major purchases. 

Before you sell something that you might regret in the future I would sit down with your dad and see if you can come up with something that might be a little easier on you.

I'd rather save up for a non-necessary gaming PC than for a necessary car. I'm completely fine with doing this at this point, and I'm sure I can get a very nice system just a couple months down the line after I've worked some more.

I'm a bit curious but why exactly do you need a car? I mean I know they're useful, but is there any particular reason you're considering selling your rig?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

I'm a bit curious but why exactly do you need a car? I mean I know they're useful, but is there any particular reason you're considering selling your rig?

Because where I live everything is 20 miles apart form each other. Walking/riding a bike/public transport aren't things here.

I would talk to your parents and see if they can work something out to make it easier to get the car, like split that $2000 into monthly payments. $2k is alot for a young person working part time and getting minimum wage. I remember those days. Shit, $2k is alot of cash for me to drop on something right now. It would be a shame to have to start selling your personal possessions for a cheap car. Again, talk to your folks and see if there is anything they can do to make it easier for you before you go and start selling things.

6 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Because where I live everything is 20 miles apart form each other. Walking/riding a bike/public transport aren't things here.

I guess being that I live in an area where things are relatively close, or at least I'm relatively close enough to walk to places if I wanted to go to those places.

I was about to say see if you could make payments, but @TacticlTwinkie said it first.

5 minutes ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

$2k is alot for a young person working part time and getting minimum wage. I remember those days. Shit, $2k is alot of cash for me to drop on something right now.

I think it'd probably take a few months if you were saving up a few paychecks but I suppose there's a lot of factors that could make it take longer to save that much up.

But I agree, $2,000 is quite a bit of money. Even crazier to think that homes and new cars cost a whole lot more. Though I guess payments helps make those larger sums of money seem more approachable or otherwise something within reach.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

I guess being that I live in an area where things are relatively close, or at least I'm relatively close enough to walk to places if I wanted to go to those places.

I was about to say see if you could make payments, but @TacticlTwinkie said it first.

I think it'd probably take a few months if you were saving up a few paychecks but I suppose there's a lot of factors that could make it take longer to save that much up.

Well if it were the summer still, I would've had $2K saved up from $0 in a couple months. But now that I'm at school all week, I can only work weekends and just getting that other $1K I need would take several months.

9 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I think the implication is why do you need to go out at all? Aren't you happy being indoors on your computer streaming My Little Pony all day? If you had any social reasons to go out your friends would be picking you up. So no friends, no one to go out and see, thus nothing to go out and do, thus no reason to get a car.

7 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

I think the implication is why do you need to go out at all? Aren't you happy being indoors on your computer streaming My Little Pony all day? If you had any social reasons to go out your friends would be picking you up. So no friends, no one to go out and see, thus nothing to go out and do, thus no reason to get a car.

>school is 15 or 20 miles from my home

>work is 20 minutes away down an interstate highway

>has responsibilities like picking up siblings from practice

Things are so spread out here that we don't usually measure distance by miles, we measure it by minutes or hours. Literally the closest grocery store to me is at least 5 miles away.

14 minutes ago, wcreek said:

It would only take a few months if you didn't have to use the money much, but everyone's situation is different and some need to use a large chuck of the money for living expenses, it may take quite a while. When I was working part time and making minimum wage while going to school, half of my money went to my car payment. Saving up for stuff took me quite a while.

13 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Well if it were the summer still, I would've had $2K saved up from $0 in a couple months. But now that I'm at school all week, I can only work weekends and just getting that other $1K I need would take several months.

Why can't you work a few hours on the weekdays?

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Things are so spread out here that we don't usually measure distance by miles, we measure it by minutes or hours. Literally the closest grocery store to me is at least 5 miles away.

Closer than mine. You can bike it. (/(ಠ‿ಠ)\)

For your siblings get creative:

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Why can't you work a few hours on the weekdays?

Because I have no way of getting there. My dad is still using it until there is a new car. But he doesn't work on weekends luckily.

5 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

>school is 15 or 20 miles from my home

>work is 20 minutes away down an interstate highway

>has responsibilities like picking up siblings from practice

Here we often measure distance by minutes too. It's about a 40 minute walk from my school to home, and it'll be about a 30 minute walk from home to where I'll be working. Of course driving, it's like a 6 minute drive for both of them. 

4 minutes ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

everyone's situation is different and some need to use a large chuck of the money for living expenses, it may take quite a while. When I was working part time and making minimum wage while going to school, half of my money went to my car payment. Saving up for stuff took me quite a while.

Yeah, obviously.

I think that's why I have a hard time justifying the cost to own a car right now, because why send away all that money for gas and insurance and any maintenance it may need when I can just save up some money and buy some nice PC parts.

Also, OP has the disadvantage of living an area where things are more spread out. So idk.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Because I have no way of getting there. My dad is still using it until there is a new car. But he doesn't work on weekends luckily.

Ah I see, I also saw that you said that you live relatively far away from where you work. 

Why that specific car?  I know it's your parents car,  but you can get a car for $850 if you hunt around. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

3 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

sell weed, or sexual "services" ;)

I approve of the latter idea.

Linus is my fetish.

Just ask your parents for a monthly plan (like $100 every two weeks or a month). It is a bit shitty for their part but in 5 10 months you would pay them.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

7 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

No offense man, but it sounds like your parents are taking advantage of you. Demanding $2K for their old car, and then on top of that requiring you pitch in for their car note? Why are you pulling double duty for nothing in return? If their reasoning is “well we support you by not charging rent/utility/grocery money”, I’m sorry to say that they’re really shitty people for that.

Parents should take responsibility and give their children a fighting chance when they reach adulthood. Kicking them out or milking them for cash is morally disgusting and is essentially them doing their kid a massive disservice at a critical point of development in life. If this is really the case then I’m sorry to see that.

There's definitely nothing wrong with parents teaching their children how to earn things.  Most wouldn't consider that "milking them for cash".

7 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

I know from experience, as I have parents on both ends of the spectrum – my mother has taking to supporting me through all of my youthful endeavours provided that they’re progressive and productive, even including my car insurance and medical. My father is adamant about kicking both my sister and I out the door at 18, because he’s too stupid to learn from his parents’ mistakes. That’s just one of numerous reasons I don’t live with him anymore. And it’s far from being the worst.

This explains your position well.  Hey, at least you have your mom to fall back onto until your ready to leave.  If you think your dad is bad, wait until you step out on your own.  

With that said, I don't believe that @byalexandr believes that his dad is taking advantage of him.  Actually, it sounds like @byalexandr is a pretty responsible guy willing to do what it takes to get ahead in life.  The fact that he's considering selling his computer for the greater good of transportation is impressive and very responsible.

You can call your dad stupid all day if you want, but I'm not sure that entitles you to the right to comment on others' parents.

16 hours ago, byalexandr said:

So, we have two cars. My mom's Kia and my dad's Ford (that is soon to be mine, which I will explain why). Recently I got my license, but luckily my dad has been out of the country so I've been using his Ford to get around to school and work.  But now he's back, so I thought I wouldn't have a car to drive anymore.

Well, turns out my dad will give me the Ford once I help with the down payment of his new car, something like a Kia or something idk. But my parents said that I need to give them $2K for the Ford basically. Currently I have around $850 in my bank, and I get paid every two weeks with a job that I make $8/hr at. But since I have school during the week I can only work weekends, which doesn't equate to a large paycheck every other week (usually I get paid around $600 but now I think I'm around $200 every couple weeks, idk yet it's only been a couple weeks of school). But I need that Ford ASAP, so I need to come up with ways to make the rest of the money quickly. I'm not talking about prostitution or some shit like that so please don't bring that up.

I was thinking of selling my PC but I don't know what it's valued at and how quickly I can sell the parts or the PC as a whole. As much as I like PC gaming, I need a vehicle first. Something I would hate to do is sell my prized possession of a PC but I do have a nice laptop, unfortunately I would be giving up gaming for the foreseeable future. I do also have a project car in my garage but idk if that's mine to sell, or if my parents would let me use the money from that towards their down payment.

I'm aiming to have the keys back in my hand within a week, but if I want to do that then I have to come up with something because my paycheck isn't going to be remotely enough remotely soon.

PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE COMMENTING SO YOU KNOW THE SITUATION!

Is it possible that your dad is just waiting to see what type of plan you come up with on your own?  Could you propose him loaning you the money and you paying him back?  If so, this will allow you to keep the computer and get the car you need.  After all, won't the PC help you with school as well?

I'm not sure what kind of job you have, but maybe you can talk to your employer about some additional work.  I understand you have school, but maybe your employer could use you in the evenings during the week for a few hours here and there.

Hit your neighbors up for any additional tasks that they may need help with.  Explain what you are trying to accomplish and you'll be surprised what neighbors are willing to do to help.  

There are tons of things that you could do if you get creative.