External CPU ?

"Soon" external GPU's will become a thing.

But what about external CPU's? Because they also overheat alot during gaming etc.

Is it possible to do this? Would there be a market for this?

It would be pretty nice to have a super thin laptop running heavy games and staying super cool and silent.

Its possible and it has been done on servers and main frames.

You can have hotswap cpu's in windows(need server datacenter edition for about 5000) and linux.

3 hours ago, Rotterdams said:

"Soon" external GPU's will become a thing.

But what about external CPU's? Because they also overheat alot during gaming etc.

Is it possible to do this? Would there be a market for this?

It would be pretty nice to have a super thin laptop running heavy games and staying super cool and silent.

With 2 blocks coming out? It would still be loud because of the blocks

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

And you would need to carry the CPU block around to even use the laptop. It wouldnt really be a laptop because you need to use a block to use it

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its possible and it has been done on servers and main frames.

You can have hotswap cpu's in windows(need server datacenter edition for about 5000) and linux.

Thats with Sisterboards though, but you could make an extender for it but I dont know why

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

And you would need to carry the CPU block around to even use the laptop. It wouldnt really be a laptop because you need to use a block to use it

You can remove the extra cpu when your not using it.

Thats with Sisterboards though, but you could make an extender for it but I dont know why

There are systems with cables to connect them.

You can remove the extra cpu when your not using it.

He said full external CPU, so no internal CPU

There are systems with cables to connect them.

So like extended sister boards?

Spoiler

AXIOM

He said full external CPU, so no internal CPU

That would be a thing client and you can just remote desktop into a server running somehting like xen.

It might sound silly to use a external CPU and GPU.

I also thought about connecting a full desktop to a laptop. So using the laptop as screen with keyboard. But sadly its not possible as far as I can hear lol

22 minutes ago, Rotterdams said:

It might sound silly to use a external CPU and GPU.

I also thought about connecting a full desktop to a laptop. So using the laptop as screen with keyboard. But sadly its not possible as far as I can hear lol

It is possible using a streaming service like steam in home streaming.

The only external cpu that there is would be a xeon phi coprocessor, but have almost no practical uses outside of extremely parallelized computing.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

35 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

It is possible using a streaming service like steam in home streaming.

The only external cpu that there is would be a xeon phi coprocessor, but have almost no practical uses outside of extremely parallelized computing.

I have alot of interest in streaming but i usually play online/mmo type of games.

and i have no expierende with the delay streaming brings.