Windows on one system?

DutchTexan
Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
14 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

I just have a question about what makes a system. As in, when I install Windows it will only allow instaliazion to one system. So, if I add a wireless adapter and a GPU, and some other hardware, after installing Windows there shouldn’t be any issues? If I changed the CPU then I would need another key? Or would I only need a new windows key when I change my motherboard? 

What makes my ‘one system’ turn into a new, different system that would require another key?  

You can add as much hardware as you need.  CPU upgrades are not an issue either.  The only thing that really ties your OS to the "system" is your motherboard.

I just have a question about what makes a system. As in, when I install Windows it will only allow instaliazion to one system. So, if I add a wireless adapter and a GPU, and some other hardware, after installing Windows there shouldn’t be any issues? If I changed the CPU then I would need another key? Or would I only need a new windows key when I change my motherboard? 

What makes my ‘one system’ turn into a new, different system that would require another key?  

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

11 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

Motherboard

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

14 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

You can add as much hardware as you need.  CPU upgrades are not an issue either.  The only thing that really ties your OS to the "system" is your motherboard.

Just now, done12many2 said:

You can add as much hardware as you need.  CPU upgrades are not an issues either.  The only thing that really ties your OS to the "system" is your motherboard.

Thanks! 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Motherboard

Thanks!

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

13 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

It used to be tied to the hard drive, but now it is tied to the motherboard. You can replace every part of the system, except the motherboard, before you have to deal with windows. And unless you have an OEM key, you don't need to buy a new key if you change your motherboard.

Just now, done12many2 said:

No problem. Have fun with the mods!

Thanks I have been having serious issues trying to install Windows 7 Pro. I think I am going to try to return the CD key and just buy a Windows 10 usb

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

It used to be tied to the hard drive, but now it is tied to the motherboard. You can replace every part of the system, except the motherboard, before you have to deal with windows. And unless you have an OEM key, you don't need to buy a new key if you change your motherboard.

I have an OEM key:/ What kind of key could I install several times? A retail key?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Just now, DutchTexan said:

I have an OEM key:/ What kind of key could I install several times? A retail key?

An OEM key ties you to that one board.  If you'd like to move from system to system, buy a retail key.  

Windows 10 is actually pretty good.  Most complain about Microsoft's intrusiveness/lack of privacy with Windows 10, but I have no issues.  One thing's for sure, it will install easier than you current Windows 7 OS.

16 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

An OEM key ties you to that one board.  If you'd like to move from system to system, buy a retail key.  

Windows 10 is actually pretty good.  Most complain about Microsoft's intrusiveness/lack of privacy with Windows 10, but I have no issues.  One thing's for sure, it will install easier than you current Windows 7 OS.

That is what I have been hearing. Windows 7 is nice, but I will probably end up sliding over to 10, assuming amazon refunds my $128.something.

I have a buddy with an 06 GTO and he is thinking about dropping an ls7 in there this christmas. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

2 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

That is what I have been hearing. Windows 7 is nice, but I will probably end up sliding over to 10, assuming amazon refunds my $128.something.

I have a buddy with an 06 GTO and he is thinking about dropping an ls7 in there this christmas. 

LS7 would be awesome.  I thought I'd need the 4 doors so I went with the G8 GT.  Turns out I really didn't need the extra doors, but I like the car a lot so I threw a blower, cam and a bunch of other parts at it and she turned out to be pretty fun.  :D

17 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

LS7 would be awesome.  I thought I'd need the 4 doors so I went with the G8 GT.  Turns out I really didn't need the extra doors, but I like the car a lot so I threw a blower, cam and a bunch of other parts at it and she turned out to be pretty fun.  :D

Hey nothing wrong with the g8. A solid cam alone would turn her into a whole something else. He’s going to drop a ls7 in there and do a bunch of work or buy something from pmustangs.com. They’re local and every now and then they get some real gems. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

11 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

Hey nothing wrong with the g8. A solid cam alone would turn her into a whole something else. He’s going to drop a ls7 in there and do a bunch of work or buy something from pmustangs.com. They’re local and every now and then they get some real gems. 

Yeah, they look like they have some nice stangs passing through there.

7 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

If you have an OEM key, it is tied to the mobo, as others have stated. If it is a retail key, it isn't tied to anything. If you have an OEM, and you change the mobo, you can contact Microsoft and ask them to transfer the license, and they likely will do that for you.

7 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

Thanks I have been having serious issues trying to install Windows 7 Pro. I think I am going to try to return the CD key and just buy a Windows 10 usb

What are the issues that you're having installing Windows 7?

6 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

Personally, I wouldn't.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

@Delicieuxz I bought a CD key and tried to install it. After about a week I got frustrated and pretty much gave up. Everytime I tried to install Windows 7 Pro it kept giving me an error message that I was missing drivers. I looked up drivers motherboard drivers for 64bit Windows 7 from MSI’s website, I have a z170a gaming m5 motherboard, and installed them through the flash mode from the BIOS. Didn’t work. I also installed all the drivers from the CD that came with my motherboard and SSD, I think. 

I ended up neglecting my oem cd key and external optical drive that was plugged into a usb 2.0 port entirely and made a bootable usb. I tried that several times. Then, I remade the bootable usb in a number of different ways using programs on microsoft.com all the way to typing in commands to copy my CD key to a bootable usb and I tried using a few other programs like Rufus. Nothing worked. I called some dude at best buy from geek squad and he wanted a hundred bucks to install windows after I drive there(humidity down here is literally over 95% about 99% of the time, 24/7, so I didn’t do that)I really didn’t want to risk it sitting in my car and being shaken on the short ride to best buy either.

Long story short, I am not an expert on computers by any means, but installing Windows 7 Professional has, so far, been the hardest things about building a custom computer.

At this point I am hoping I can get a refund after I mailed back by key. If that is a success then I will buy a Windows 10 usb key and hopefully that will be as simple as plugging in and installing... what I was under the impression a ~$130 cd key would do. 

I have a theory. Microsoft is pressing the Windows 10 agenda so hard that they are purposing making it extra difficult to instal. Additionally, I hear they will stop selling them in about a month and they will stop supporting it by like 2020 or something.

I really like Windows 7 though... but Windows 10 is a lot better if I could, you know, use my computer.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

@done12many2

Dude your computer is a fucking monster. Does your G8 GT run like your machine??

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Just now, DutchTexan said:

@done12many2

Dude your computer is a fucking monster. Does your G8 GT run like your machine??

Thanks man. 

Yeah it does pretty good.  600 HP / 600 TQ at the rear tires.  Better gears via a Camaro SS rear-end swap and improved traction thanks to CTS-V wheels.  She "merges" with traffic fairly easy. 

I guess my PC and my G8 GT both have 8 in common.  8 cores/8 cylinders. Both have boost. Haha

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Thanks man. 

Yeah it does pretty good.  600 HP / 600 TQ at the rear tires.  Better gears via a Camaro SS rear-end swap and improved traction thanks to CTS-V wheels.  She "merges" with traffic fairly easy. 

I guess my PC and my G8 GT both have 8 in common.  8 cores/8 cylinders. Both have boost. Haha

Wow. Yeah, I would say anymore lb ft and it wouldn’t be too usable on the streets. Then again, what do I know I drive a ford focus :1

But that is impressive. Very rarely do people actually go down the aftermarket performance route with their car. Same thing with custom computers, the percentage of people that build a computer vs just use a computer is probably higher than people who own a car vs people who supercharge or turbo their car. 

You got some good storage going with the g8 too xD 

It’s a shame Pontiac died in 2010.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

@DutchTexan

Installing Windows 7 should be as straight-forward as installing Windows 10.

>>  I looked up drivers motherboard drivers for 64bit Windows 7 from MSI’s website, I have a z170a gaming m5 motherboard, and installed them through the flash mode from the BIOS. Didn’t work.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding, but OS drivers aren't installed through the BIOS. Updated BIOSes are installed through the BIOS. If you have the right BIOS for the right motherboard, it should install without issue by using a method similar to what's shown here (this video is 1 year old, and is demonstrating in Click BIOS 4, while your mobo has Click BIOS 5):

The place to download a newer BIOS for your motherboard is here: https://msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#down-bios

>> I also installed all the drivers from the CD that came with my motherboard and SSD, I think.

The only place to install the motherboard drivers from the CD that came with it is in Windows, after it has successfully installed. If you haven't yet been able to install Windows 7, then there's no place for you to install the motherboard drivers.

Where did you get your Windows 7 Pro installation software (not the OEM license) from? Did you set your primary boot device in your BIOS to the DVD, so that its installer would load before your system checks your hard drives? If you've been able to get the installation process to commence, how far did you get in the installation process before encountering a problem?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

13 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

:1

Well then I guess I never installed all the drivers I thought I did. I did grab a bunch of those drivers from that link and plopped them over to a large usb stick and then spent a lot of time selecting and installing them in flash mode, it reset every time I installed a file and then I would select flash mode and it would rest again before I could install another file. 

This is as far as I ever got with instilling Windows 7 Professional. 

image.jpg

I had two other forum threads on the subject. 

And this is the first thread I posted after almost plugging everything in and together, it ends in the origination of my windows struggles

This is the key I bought and am now trying to return

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.43.16 PM.png

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

double post 

Edited by DutchTexan

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

OK, it looks like Windows 7 is having trouble being installed from your external DVD drive without drivers for that drive. When that prompt for missing drivers shows up during the Windows 7 installation process, you should try giving it the driver for that external DVD drive, and nothing else.

Also, when you couldn't install Windows 7 from USB, it's because your motherboard only has USB 3.0 and 3.1 slots, and unless you make a custom Windows 7 ISO with USB 3.0 drivers pre-installed, Windows 7 needs to be installed from a USB 2.0 port, which your motherboard doesn't have.

To make a Windows 7 installation USB that will work with USB 3.0, here are some solutions and guides (you can follow any of them):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN300564

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-install-windows-7-on-a-pc-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/

It's pretty straight-forward and easy to add USB 3.0 support to the Windows 7 installer, but you also might be able to find a Windows 7 installer that already has it added.

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

OK, it looks like Windows 7 is having trouble being installed from your external DVD drive without drivers for that drive. When that prompt for missing drivers shows up during the Windows 7 installation process, you should try giving it the driver for that external DVD drive, and nothing else.

Also, when you couldn't install Windows 7 from USB, it's because your motherboard only has USB 3.0 and 3.1 slots, and unless you make a custom Windows 7 ISO with USB 3.0 drivers pre-installed, Windows 7 needs to be installed from a USB 2.0 port, which your motherboard doesn't have.

To make a Windows 7 installation USB that will work with USB 3.0, here are some solutions and guides (you can follow any of them):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN300564

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-install-windows-7-on-a-pc-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/

It's pretty straight-forward and easy to add USB 3.0 support to the Windows 7 installer, but you also might be able to find a Windows 7 installer that already has it added.

Are you sure my motherboard didn't have any 2.0 ports? I thought the top 2 usbs were 2.0, according to the manual. Everything else is 3.0 or 3.1. The only ports on my case were 3.0 but I only used those for the power of my external optical and my keyboard.

if my external optical was the only issue then shouldn't it have worked when I switched to strictly a bootable usb? I tried just using a USB stick that I made bootable. And then I did that over and over recreating a bootable USB from all kinds of places and programs.

I think there is some Bill Gates manipulation going down. Either way, I am trying to return it. Windows 10 should be easier, I hear...

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Actually, you're right. Your motherboard has both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.

USB 3.1 ports(Front) 2

USB 3.1 ports (Rear) 4(Gen1), 2(Gen2, Type A+C)

USB 2.0 ports (Front) 4

USB 2.0 ports (Rear) 2

Did you try installing it from one of the other ports, just to see if you got the USB 2.0 and 3.0 mixed up?