Best for university?

So I'm heading off to university in the next few weeks and I have the choice of either buying a laptop or building a PC. I'm quite torn between the two as I like the portability of a laptop but I'd get more for my money if I make my own system to take with me. I do like to game so I'd like something than can handle Modern games well and as I'm going to be at university for a few years I'd like it to hold up with future releases as well. Either way I'm going to need a laptop to carry around with me, but if I take my own system then I can buy a really cheap budget laptop just to use when I'm not in my dorm. I'd like to hear different opinions on the matter and if anyone has done this and can recommend parts or a laptop then that would be awesome. 

I'm a student and I have a dedicated rig for doing anything more than assignments. I'm not in college but I think building a dedicated rig is probably the way to go. Gaming on laptops until recently has been terrible compared to desktops, Nvidia's Pascal mobile cards are good choices but I'm not familiar with the price of some of those laptops. Seeing as AMD has little in the laptop market, I'd imagine desktop would be a much better way to go if you want decent value. My laptop for school is cheap and basic, nothing special really. It's not the best but not the worst either, I don't really have a problem with it. As long as you're willing to play games on a desktop, I think a dedicated rig with a cheap laptop is the way to go. 

Chromebook + Desktop. Is always more value than laptop.

But, the next time someone links a PCPartPicker list without the screen, speakers, mouse, keyboard, microphone and compare it to a laptop, ima smack them. Laptops have a screen, speaker, trackpad, keyboard, and microphone and those need to accounted for when you're pricing your desktop. People go like OH PFF 1.5k desktop with 1070 and i7-6700k much value. I'm generally like, yea are you going to use that plugged into a potato? 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p