Casual gaming/browsing PC for dad (new to forum)

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I am planning to put together a PC for my father. He is new to PC gaming and is 42 years old, so he has no clue how to put together a PC. I'm fairly new to it, but have installed enough parts to realize what I'm doing. Okay so my father as I said is interested in doing some light gaming. Nothing too intense like max settings on crisis or fall out 4. He just wants to possibly play some MMO's such as Guild wars 2, WoW, and other games similar to that. Oh and also Over Watch possibly! Also, my step mother wants to use it just for normal browsing activity like facebook, news websites, and playing those little flash games. 

He already has a case and a power supply. I'm sure the case is fine, but I'm not sure about the power supply since it's been in storage for a year. So I'm guessing I'll have to look into one of those as well. 

Alrighty then, he doesn't really have a budget in mind, but the best bang for the buck would be great. I'd say around $500 if possible? I don't know very much about radeon, but they seem to be cheaper normally. All in all, I'm a noob I need some help putting together a parts list for this PC. I'd like to go ahead and thank everyone who helps me do this!

12 hours ago, Psych Reaper said:

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I am planning to put together a PC for my father. He is new to PC gaming and is 42 years old, so he has no clue how to put together a PC. I'm fairly new to it, but have installed enough parts to realize what I'm doing. Okay so my father as I said is interested in doing some light gaming. Nothing too intense like max settings on crisis or fall out 4. He just wants to possibly play some MMO's such as Guild wars 2, WoW, and other games similar to that. Oh and also Over Watch possibly! Also, my step mother wants to use it just for normal browsing activity like facebook, news websites, and playing those little flash games. 

He already has a case and a power supply. I'm sure the case is fine, but I'm not sure about the power supply since it's been in storage for a year. So I'm guessing I'll have to look into one of those as well. 

Alrighty then, he doesn't really have a budget in mind, but the best bang for the buck would be great. I'd say around $500 if possible? I don't know very much about radeon, but they seem to be cheaper normally. All in all, I'm a noob I need some help putting together a parts list for this PC. I'd like to go ahead and thank everyone who helps me do this!

i was actually just building an budget build for me, this will prob be best for buck, i almost done, this is an mini itx, around 530 dollars, but worth extra money

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vH2Y9W

MF UH BEANS

Does it include monitor, mouse, keyboard etc?

Here's an i3/GTX 1060 3G build - tower only / no OS

All parts from amazon for free shipping.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($118.69 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 

^Added a PSU assuming the one you already have might not be rated/came with case as prebuilt
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 3GB ($199.99 @ Amazon)

^Amazon URL
Total: $506.64

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro OEM ($28 @ Kinguin.net) - Link / How To

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

27 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Does it include monitor, mouse, keyboard etc?

Here's an i3/GTX 1060 3G build - tower only / no OS

All parts from amazon for free shipping.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($118.69 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 

^Added a PSU assuming the one you already have might not be rated/came with case as prebuilt
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 3GB ($199.99 @ Amazon)

^Amazon URL
Total: $506.64

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro OEM ($28 @ Kinguin.net) - Link / How To

Yes it would need the monitor, mouse, and keyboard sadly. I completely forgot! Thanks for reminding me friend. Also this build seems pretty good. How does the 1060 stack up to the new ati card? I think it's the r90 or something? 

58 minutes ago, aries757 said:

i was actually just building an budget build for me, this will prob be best for buck, i almost done, this is an mini itx, around 530 dollars, but worth extra money

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vH2Y9W

I like the look of this alot, but would the mini motherboard have less power than a normal sized one? Also the case seems to be quite expensive! But thank you very much friend for the information, and good luck with your build!

34 minutes ago, Psych Reaper said:

Yes it would need the monitor, mouse, and keyboard sadly. I completely forgot! Thanks for reminding me friend. Also this build seems pretty good. How does the 1060 stack up to the new ati card? I think it's the r90 or something? 

The 1060 (6GB, idk about the 3GB) beats the R9 390(if that's the one ur referring to) but they're out of your budget range. Also no one calls em ATI anymore, it's just AMD.

Now that you need monitor and peripherals can you up the budget to $600? I don't want you losing too much performance.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($118.69 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 460 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Amazon) 

^Amazon URL
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 22.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($29.99) 

^Amazon URL
Headphones: Logitech G230  Headset  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 

^You can cheap out on the mouse/kb/headset by getting generic ones but you're only saving like $25.
Total: $586.61

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

If you can't, here's a $506 Build / no OS

All parts still from Amazon.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9zGwcc

22 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Thanks man I greatly appreciate it! I think I'll go with the build you offered for around 600. Thank you again, and hope you have a great day.

22 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Thanks man I greatly appreciate it! I think I'll go with the build you offered for around 600. Thank you again, and hope you have a great day.

NP

The forum's having issues right now, so once you hit send, your reply will show up just not instantly. Don't keep refreshing else you'll make multiple posts.

13 hours ago, Psych Reaper said:

I like the look of this alot, but would the mini motherboard have less power than a normal sized one? Also the case seems to be quite expensive! But thank you very much friend for the information, and good luck with your build!

the mini itx board doesnt changed the power, just form factor, i love mini itx cuz i travel alot

MF UH BEANS

1 hour ago, Psych Reaper said:

4 minutes ago, aries757 said:

the mini itx board doesnt changed the power, just form factor, i love mini itx cuz i travel alot

That's a microATX board not mini. And mini ITX's are usually more expensive than MicroATX despite being smaller.

11 hours ago, antisleep said:

That's a microATX board not mini. And mini ITX's are usually more expensive than MicroATX despite being smaller.

k, sry i not the expert on mobos, not my fault, i call mini/micro, but either way i still like the small form factor.

MF UH BEANS