Upgrading from a gtx 660ti, worried about bottlenecking

ph0ng

My current build is as follow:

CPU: Intel i5-3570k with MSI B75MA -P45 Mainboard

Ram: 16gb DDR3-1333Mhz (8gb x2)

Data: 3TB WD Brown Drive

Case: Sharkoon MidTower Case (not sure about exact model)

Graphics: Nvidia GTX 660Ti 2Gb

PSU: Seasonic 520W 80PLUS Bronze Certified PSU

I am about to pull the trigger on a palit gtx 1060 super jetstream, but im worried about possible bottlenecking from my current cpu, and also worried about whether my current PSU can support it. Also feel free to leave any feedback on what you would do to best upgrade this build. Thanks for the help.

the psu is ok and a more powerfull Gpu almost cirtantly wont be bottlenecked you could probably use up to an rx 480 or a gtx 1060 

Your PSU can support it and your CPU won't bottleneck the 1060...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Your PSU is fine, so we can leave that out of the way.

As for the CPU, does it even make sense to ask that question? If I was to tell you "yeah, it'll bottleneck hard", would you have the money to buy a 6700k, new RAM and mobo? If so, then why are you even bothering with a humble Gtx 1060? If not, then what's the point of worrying about bottlenecking, it's not as if you could do anything about it anyway...

Just buy your GPU and be happy with it. Forget about this "bottleneck" BS, people worry about it WAAAAY too much.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Well the question does make sense because i am trying my best to make sure that the gtx 1060 is a prudent purchase. What does not make sense is you assuming that I would not have the budget for "  a 6700k, new RAM and mobo". My budget is fairly flexible, but I am simply trying to not spent on anything unnecessary, for example if I was told that my CPU would severely impact my gaming performance I would gladly buy those things that you stated, but if i dont have to I rather save on it. Thanks for your input though.

1 minute ago, ph0ng said:

Well the question does make sense because i am trying my best to make sure that the gtx 1060 is a prudent purchase. What does not make sense is you assuming that I would not have the budget for "  a 6700k, new RAM and mobo". My budget is fairly flexible, but I am simply trying to not spent on anything unnecessary, for example if I was told that my CPU would severely impact my gaming performance I would gladly buy those things that you stated, but if i dont have to I rather save on it. Thanks for your input though.

That's why I asked if you had the budget to get something better. Because if you do, then you are getting yourself the wrong card; get a Gtx 1070 rather than a 1060.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

That's why I asked if you had the budget to get something better. Because if you do, then you are getting yourself the wrong card; get a Gtx 1070 rather than a 1060.

From what I have read it seems that the gtx 1070 is a little too much for 1080p gaming ( I only have a 1080p monitor). Also I mainly play games like dota 2 or rocket league, the most demanding title i play would be overwatch, all of which a 1070 would be overkill. What's your opinion on that? Also please correct me if i am wrong.

1060 or 1070 is what I would recommend you. Having the horsepower of the 1070 might be good for the next couple years if you keep playing on 1080p

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

7 minutes ago, ph0ng said:

From what I have read it seems that the gtx 1070 is a little too much for 1080p gaming ( I only have a 1080p monitor).

The 1060 is not quite there for max 1080p, while the 1070 is a little overkill. But that's not actually a problem: you can easily turn DSR to 4x and render the game a 4320p with 8x MSAA for some massive GPU bottlenecking, while getting an amazing image. And that's for today, a few years down the road, the 1070 is going to be where the 1060 is today.

Remember, GPU power is never too much.

9 minutes ago, ph0ng said:

Also I mainly play games like dota 2 or rocket league, the most demanding title i play would be overwatch, all of which a 1070 would be overkill. What's your opinion on that? Also please correct me if i am wrong.

I used to think like that. When I had my first PC built, I used to think "all I play is HoN (dota 2 before dota 2 came out), I'll never need more graphics power". I deeply regret that choice nowadays...

Don't fall for the same mistake as I did. Get a better GPU. At worse, you'll have a GPU that will last you a loooong time, whereas going with a cheaper GPU has you risking regret later down the road.

1 hour ago, ph0ng said:

But so many people are making a big deal out of GPU bottlenecking.

It is only a 1060. Unless you are using a Pentium something. With your i5, even there is a little bit of GPU bottleneck in some situations. So you get 95 fps instead of 100 fps. Is it something you really have to worry about?

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Don't fall for the same mistake as I did. Get a better GPU. At worse, you'll have a GPU that will last you a loooong time, whereas going with a cheaper GPU has you risking regret later down the road.

That is actually quite a good way to think about it (provided that you have the money). I will definitely consider that. But I would likely build another PC pretty soon as i will be going overseas for university and I dont think it will be practical to carry my midtower PC on a plane. So i think i will stick with the 1060 for now and get something bigger and badder for my future PC next year. Thanks alot for your input.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

It is only a 1060. Unless you are using a Pentium something. With your i5, even there is a little bit of GPU bottleneck in some situations. So you get 95 fps instead of 100 fps. Is it something you really have to worry about?

What I am refering to is heavy bottlenecking, just trying to get some more inputs before i make an informed decision.

1 hour ago, ph0ng said:

What I am refering to is heavy bottlenecking, just trying to get some more inputs before i make an informed decision.

Your i5 is still a very capable CPU. Start worrying when you go to GTX1080 with a 144Hz monitor.

Enjoy your new GPU. xD

3570K is still a really damn good performer these days and combining it with a 1060 would make it a really good gaming rig, and the PSU is decently good too so you should be set :3

i AM A TASTY NUUUUUB!!!!! 

2 minutes ago, Deli said: