i7-4790k OC vs No OC

I have a i7-4790k, but I don't have a z97 motherboard, kind of a stupid situation I'm in right now. So I want to know if it is worth buying a z97 motherboard so that I can OC the i7-4790k. Does anyone have an article they can direct me to, or perhaps personal benchmarks? Thanks.

First of all you need to know if OC will be of any use at all for you. If you're just gaming, the chances are that it won't, if you also use it as a workstation, probably will be useful.

Use MSI Afterburner and play the games you like and watch out for CPU utilization, if it's 80%+, you may benefit from OC. But even if you do, probably won't be worth it, because I doubt you're getting a hard bottleneck with this CPU to be worth a new MOBO.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

Insanely worth it. How can I put it? it's like a fish out of water. The whole point of K series is overclocking, definitely worth buying a Z97. Without one you may as well have a 4790 (what I have, although the 4790k does have a slightly higher clock at stock) Having a 'K' series chip is very good for long term use, I guess you could say the 'K' is much more futureproof. You can overclock your 4790k to above 5820k levels, which is a ton better than the 4790.

8 minutes ago, Mateus Campello said:

First of all you need to know if OC will be of any use at all for you. If you're just gaming, the chances are that it won't, if you also use it as a workstation, probably will be useful.

Use MSI Afterburner and play the games you like and watch out for CPU utilization, if it's 80%+, you may benefit from OC. But even if you do, probably won't be worth it, because I doubt you're getting a hard bottleneck with this CPU.

If you have friends then the OC value instantly goes up, for braging rights, that is actually 10x more important then worksation stuff.

If you have no freinds then OC is pointless.

2 hours ago, nicdepro said:

Insanely worth it. How can I put it? it's like a fish out of water. The whole point of K series is overclocking, definitely worth buying a Z97. Without one you may as well have a 4790 (what I have, although the 4790k does have a slightly higher clock at stock) Having a 'K' series chip is very good for long term use, I guess you could say the 'K' is much more futureproof. You can overclock your 4790k to above 5820k levels, which is a ton better than the 4790.

So, going from 4.2-4.4 ghz to 4.7, MAYBE 4.8ghz is worth buying a second mobo? Personally I'd disagree.

And show me some benchmarks that an oc'd 4790k beats a 5820k in multithreaded workloads.

On topic though, I'd say it probably isn't worth the cost of getting a second mobo, unless somehow you're cpu bound. Better to put that money to an ssd or something.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB