I don't have the same administrator rights as before.

edlp456

So recently someone reinstalled Windows 7 for me. I realized that whatever settings I have now are not the ones I had before. What I mean is every time I try to open some folders a pop up appears and asks me for my permission, and there's a program in particular I installed before which worked just fine (Malwarebytes) and now the icon in my Desktop has that typical blue and yellow shield, and every time I try to open it, it asks me for my permission again, and that didn't happen before. I mean, when installing something it would always ask for permission but it was only once. So I'm sure there's something different in the settings but I don't know what it is. If I check on the start menu my only user appears as administrator. I did hear about giving full administrator rights but apparently it's not safe, and I don't really know if I used to have full rights before. Sorry for my rambling lol, hopefully I explained myself well. I can't really pinpoint exactly what's happening but I'd appreciate it if you helped me out. 

Current specs: Gigabyte Aorus x370 Gaming K7 motherboard

Sapphire 5600XT

16 GB G-Skill TridentZ RAM

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

EVGA 650W Gold Power Supply

Most likely it's your level of protection with UAC. If it's higher, every little thing you do will ask for your permission. If you lower that protection it may solve the problem.

3 minutes ago, edlp456 said:

-snip-

Did you format the drive? Or did you save your old files?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If you press the windows key and type 'change user account control settings' you can change when it notifies you about changes to your computer.

What you guys are suggesting are not solutions.

Sounds to me that your folder permissions are screwed up.

Change the folder permissions to add yourself to have full access.

36 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

Most likely it's your level of protection with UAC. If it's higher, every little thing you do will ask for your permission. If you lower that protection it may solve the problem.

Yeah I checked that. It's in the second bar. I considered it changing it but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea.

Sapphire 5600XT

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

36 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Did you format the drive? Or did you save your old files?

No, I couldn't. Basically I had a blue screen problem. I had to buy a new hard drive. The technician is gonna give me my old one back to see if I can save my failes but I doubt it. Apparently it's dead for good.

Sapphire 5600XT

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

Just now, edlp456 said:

No, I couldn't. Basically I had a blue screen problem. I had to buy a new hard drive. The technician is gonna give me my old one back to see if I can save my failes but I doubt it. Apparently it's dead for good.

I would reinstall Windows without making a dummy account. You can also use a program to gain admin rights.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

29 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What you guys are suggesting are not solutions.

Sounds to me that your folder permissions are screwed up.

Change the folder permissions to add yourself to have full access.

Alright, how do I do that? Do you know if that'll fix the problem with Malwarebytes?

Sapphire 5600XT

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

On every folder that 'causes problem, right-click select Properties.

On the Properties panel go under the Security tab. Then click on "Advanced", and now it will depends on what it is set to, and for what folder.

But Owner should be: You (unless it is under Program Files, then it should be SYSTEM), or Everyone if it is outside your personal folder, Program Files, and System related folders.

If it's not correct, click on "Change", Then on Advanced, then on "Find Now", pick the correct account, and click on OK, and OK again on the following panel.

Then, select on the accounts that has nothing to do with your system, like ones with some random number and letter, if you have that, and then click on Remove. That is IF YOU SOME. If you don't, great! These are old account SID's which Windows can't link to an account name, as there is none. Your account has a different SID (every new Windows install and account created has an SID linked to the account name, this is how you can have 2 accounts with the same name, and have its own permissions. Basically the name it is to make your life easier).

Then pick your account, and give it full access.

If you have a bunch of folders with the issues, and playing with security doesn't solve it or is annoying, then look into clean install Windows, and this time format the drive/partition before installing the OS to remove the old crap.

On 30/8/2016 at 0:46 AM, GoodBytes said:

On every folder that 'causes problem, right-click select Properties.

On the Properties panel go under the Security tab. Then click on "Advanced", and now it will depends on what it is set to, and for what folder.

But Owner should be: You (unless it is under Program Files, then it should be SYSTEM), or Everyone if it is outside your personal folder, Program Files, and System related folders.

If it's not correct, click on "Change", Then on Advanced, then on "Find Now", pick the correct account, and click on OK, and OK again on the following panel.

Then, select on the accounts that has nothing to do with your system, like ones with some random number and letter, if you have that, and then click on Remove. That is IF YOU SOME. If you don't, great! These are old account SID's which Windows can't link to an account name, as there is none. Your account has a different SID (every new Windows install and account created has an SID linked to the account name, this is how you can have 2 accounts with the same name, and have its own permissions. Basically the name it is to make your life easier).

Then pick your account, and give it full access.

If you have a bunch of folders with the issues, and playing with security doesn't solve it or is annoying, then look into clean install Windows, and this time format the drive/partition before installing the OS to remove the old crap.

I think I did it. Sort of. I put my username as Owner but it didn't do anything. It still asks for my permission.

Sapphire 5600XT

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

4 minutes ago, edlp456 said:

I think I did it. Sort of. I put my username as Owner but it didn't do anything. It still asks for my permission.

You are the owner, yes, but you need to give yourself full access as well. So add your account, and make sure to check the box for full control.

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You are the owner, yes, but you need to give yourself full access as well. So add your account, and make sure to check the box for full control.

Okay, I did it I think (I had to choose my username and check all the boxes). Then a couple stuff popped up and said "access denied" and something else (I speak Spanish so I don't know how to fully translate it) but now I can access that folder so it's good I guess. Still not sure if I should risk it and give myself full admin rights, there are a couple programs that still ask for my permission every time I open them and it's getting frustrating. However I've been told it's really not safe.

Sapphire 5600XT

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU