Video Card DYING? or is it OS?

Go to solution Solved by Praesi,
34 minutes ago, reddevil1432 said:

ue3hfJ9.jpg

The pic below is just before the PC froze showing these artifacts in the pic above. And as soon as the game starts running.

yETWulv.jpg

Your GPU Load is 0%, Memory Controller 0% and your Cap Reason is empty. All 3 are bad signes. If you are lucky its just a corrupt driver. Use "DDU" to uninstall the Driver.  Reboot and use the Tool "CC Cleaner" and delete all unused registry keys, reboot again. After that you reinstall the latest Driver for your Card. Lets see what it brings.

Hi guys,

I am having some PC trouble. I started seeing some trouble after I moved my PC to another country (just took motherboard, cpu, gfx, hard disks, ram and bought new case + psu)

At first it was working great and all was a-ok.

Then one time artifacts started showing up on the screen and windows froze. after restart it worked fine. however after I moved to another the pc to another flat, it keeps showing artifacts and freezing whenever i'm using the browser watching streams/videos or opening any game. watching streams works for a few minutes up to 20 or 30 even but then always windows freezes however games cause this to happen much quicker, almost immediately. Also after I restart from one of these incidents and try again it happens much quicker. unless I leave it be for an hour or to. I naturally thought it was a heat problem, but the temp tool shows all normal temps with max 65 C on gpu and 50 on CPU as i'm not overclocking or doin anything intensive.

I also ran corruption checks on the windows using sfc command but that came up clean. I ran norton anti virus to check for malware but nothing came up as well.

One time windows recovered from being frozen and shut itself down showing this error video_scheduler_internal_error

Unfortunately my MB doesn't have on-board video so I can't test without the video card. Is there any way to confirm if it's a hardware issue with the GFX or an OS issue? preferably I wouldn't have to reinstall windows.

this is my setup

MB:   Z68-UD3-B3

Cpu: core i7 2600k

ram: 8 GB

GFX: Nvidia GTX 560 ti

PSU: 650W Corsair vengance

Any help would be highly appreciated.

I'll upload a pic of the freeze later today

thanks

Your CPU has on-board graphics. Try using that and seeing, but it sounds like a dead/dying card. 

EDIT: Disregard, you have no Video output on your mobo. If you have a tech store nearby, you could see if they had a USB dongle you can use to test, but im 99% sure your GPU is dead. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, reddevil1432 said:

snip

It all sounds like a major driver issue. Have you tried reinstalling drivers for the GPU yet? If so it must be the OS because the last time that happened to me I reinstalled windows and that fixed it. If both those fail, then the card is dying.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Just now, legacy99 said:

Your CPU has on-board graphics. Try using that and seeing, but it sounds like a dead/dying card. 

yeah but my MB has no VGA out and doesn't support on-board graphics :(

1 minute ago, reddevil1432 said:

yeah but my MB has no VGA out and doesn't support on-board graphics :(

Yea, I just edited my post reflecting that:/ See if a local tech store has a USB to video dongle you could try that would let you use the on-board video I believe. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Yea, I just edited my post reflecting that:/ See if a local tech store has a USB to video dongle you could try that would let you use the on-board video I believe. 

that's a good idea. thx I'll try and let u guys know.

4 minutes ago, another random person said:

It all sounds like a major driver issue. Have you tried reinstalling drivers for the GPU yet? If so it must be the OS because the last time that happened to me I reinstalled windows and that fixed it. If both those fail, then the card is dying.

I tried updating the driver. but maybe i'll try to do a clean install and see if that makes any difference. I was hoping to avoid reinstalling windows but if nothing else works I might try to restore.

Check GPU-Z and post screens of both tabs.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

8 hours ago, Praesi said:

Check GPU-Z and post screens of both tabs.

Here they are

GPUZ1.PNG

GPUZ2.PNG

GPUZ1.PNG

GPUZ2.PNG

1 minute ago, reddevil1432 said:

Here they are

GPUZ1.PNG

GPUZ2.PNG

Dont work. Forum has some Picture Problems atm. Try Imgur.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, reddevil1432 said:

The second Tab under Load plz.

17 minutes ago, Praesi said:

The second Tab under Load plz.

ue3hfJ9.jpg

The pic below is just before the PC froze showing these artifacts in the pic above. And as soon as the game starts running.

yETWulv.jpg

34 minutes ago, reddevil1432 said:

ue3hfJ9.jpg

yETWulv.jpg

Your GPU Load is 0%, Memory Controller 0% and your Cap Reason is empty. All 3 are bad signes. If you are lucky its just a corrupt driver. Use "DDU" to uninstall the Driver.  Reboot and use the Tool "CC Cleaner" and delete all unused registry keys, reboot again. After that you reinstall the latest Driver for your Card. Lets see what it brings.

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

Thanks. I did that and as soon as the driver was reinstalled it froze again. It's strange that it worked fine in the time of having no driver.. I also tried to use an older driver (March) Incase the issue is new but no luck. I guess that means the card is dying and I have to invest in a new one. Or could it still be the OS?? 

Thanks for all ur help, at least this way I can uninstall the driver and have a stable PC with internet. 

7 hours ago, reddevil1432 said:

Thanks. I did that and as soon as the driver was reinstalled it froze again. It's strange that it worked fine in the time of having no driver.. I also tried to use an older driver (March) Incase the issue is new but no luck. I guess that means the card is dying and I have to invest in a new one. Or could it still be the OS?? 

Thanks for all ur help, at least this way I can uninstall the driver and have a stable PC with internet. 

Never heard of artefacts like that caused by the OS. But nothing is impossible i guess. Good Luck. But hey, your GPU did its Time ;)

Now I'm pretty unsure which card to buy!! Just invest in a GTX 1070 in case in a year or two I get VR or just stick with 1060 as my monitor is 1080p ??