I think this monitor blew up my computer...

DJHyunKim

Hello, 

This is my first post on here and really hoping to resolve this issue I encountered last night.

Here are my specs:

GPU: GeForce GTX 970

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

PSU: Corsair CX750M 80+ Bronze 

Memory: 16.00 GB RAM (15.94 GB Usable)

Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 144Hz

Driver version: 372.54

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

So I have been, originally, using a single monitor (ASUS VG248QE) setup before attempting to add this primordial Acer monitor from '03.

But this is the part where I'm the most concerned about.

The monitor came with a VGA to USB adapter

And the moment I plugged it into my motherboard (ASUS Z97-AR), everything started spiraling down to hell.

When playing TERA Online, I was getting as many as 3 frames per second!

CS:GO - 35 FPS

GTA V - 15 FPS

Do you think this a power supply issue?

Im thinking because the monitor was running through the USB and plugged into the motherboard it was probably using onboard graphics?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

lol, something to do with the USB connection.  The computer is fine.

BTW if you ever wind up with monitor drivers you don't want to use anymore, you can always reset the drivers to default, by using "ToastyX custom resolution utility" and running the included file "Reset-all", then running the restart64 file.

Have you tried the basic troubleshooting steps like unplugging the newly introduced device to see if problems continue to arise?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

There is no such thing as a "vga to usb adapter", that thing is a low end external graphics card and the games are being rendered on it as opposed to the 970, causing the dips. Disconnecting it - and maybe rebooting if the issue isn't immediately gone - should fix it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Have you tried the basic troubleshooting steps like unplugging the newly introduced device to see if problems continue to arise?

After I had these issues, I, immediately, disconnected the monitor and tested it again but the problems were still there.

Also, I went over to the Microcenter and spoke to a few reps.

One of them said it could be that the monitor changed some settings and is causing the issue. Told me to System Restore but I don't have any Restore points on this computer because system restore wasn't on.

Another rep told me that it could be the motherboard and to try and replace that along with new memory sticks. And if it doesn't work then to return it and try to replace the other parts of the system.

17 hours ago, DJHyunKim said:

After I had these issues, I, immediately, disconnected the monitor and tested it again but the problems were still there.

Also, I went over to the Microcenter and spoke to a few reps.

One of them said it could be that the monitor changed some settings and is causing the issue. Told me to System Restore but I don't have any Restore points on this computer because system restore wasn't on.

Another rep told me that it could be the motherboard and to try and replace that along with new memory sticks. And if it doesn't work then to return it and try to replace the other parts of the system.

whoa, don't write off your computer yet. first plug in your monitor into the gpu in your computer (without the usb module attached) and reinstall the graphics driver. Also remove the drivers of the usb device.

it could be that windows tries to use the usb device as the primary monitor. (this would result in extremely low framerates)

if this solves the issue you'll need to get a different adapter so you can hook up the second monitor to your gpu

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I had a similar problem on my laptop when using a portable USB display, the driver for the USB display didn't play well with the Nvidia drivers for the 980m and performance slowed to a crawl even with the USB screen disconnected.  Running DDU and reinstalling the Nvidia drivers fixed the problem so I'd definitely try this before doing anything drastic.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html