Skylake non-k H110 overclocking help/question.

Hello wonderful LinusTechTips community, 

This is my first time building a PC. I've always wanted to build one, and the opportunity finally came. I've already bought the parts for my new PC, I'm just waiting for them to arrive. Meanwhile, I wanna do a little research to see what I got.

Because I'm a student, I'm on a SUPER tight budget, so I bought these parts:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A

PSU: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB

As far as the video cards goes, I haven't bought it yet, I'll be using Integrated Graphics until I have enough for RX 460.

G4400 isn't that faster than my i3-3110M on my laptop when it comes to all threads combined, so what I'm curious of is, will I be able to overclock that G4400 at all? I'm asking because I'm choosing a non Z170 board. I know about that recent BIOS patch to disable non-k overclocking so I'm also curious if I'll be able to downgrade the BIOS on this board. Or does this board never supported overclock to begin with?

My dad has E5300 on his PC, a LGA775 based CPU back from 2008, I was able to overclock it (stable) from 2.6 GHz to 3.12 GHz, so it's really hard to believe that skylake, built on 14 nm process, much lower than E5300 that has 45 nm, to not overclock even by a little. 

If you didn't take your desire for OC on non k chips into your motherboard choice I am afraid i have to tell you there is not way that is going to happen. I am not even sure if it still works with the board it was intended to work initially.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

you cannot downgrade the BIOS on the mobo

you can't OC non K CPUs even on Z170 boards

13 minutes ago, Kyuunex said:

G4400 isn't that faster than my i3-3110M on my laptop when it comes to all threads combined, so what I'm curious of is, will I be able to overclock that G4400 at all? I'm asking because I'm choosing a non Z170 board. I know about that recent BIOS patch to disable non-k overclocking so I'm also curious if I'll be able to downgrade the BIOS on this board. Or does this board never supported overclock to begin with?

My dad has E5300 on his PC, a LGA775 based CPU back from 2008, I was able to overclock it (stable) from 2.6 GHz to 3.12 GHz, so it's really hard to believe that skylake, built on 14 nm process, much lower than E5300 that has 45 nm, to not overclock even by a little. 

You won't be able to overclock on an H110 board, k and non-k (base clock) overclocking are exclusive to Z170 boards.  Overclocking has been exclusive to enthusiast CPUs and motherboards for some time.

The G4400 should be fair bit faster than your laptop's i3.  Even though it only has two threads, it's on newer architecture with a higher clock.  In addition to that, desktop cpus have a thermal advantage.

There is no OC on a H110

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

AsRock has a new series of Hyper mobos that have an additional, external, BLK clock generator - those allow OCing of non K CPUs

example: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty H170 PerformanceHyper/index.us.asp

I guess that's a pretty unique exception.  But to get to the point, unless your board specifies otherwise, base clock overclocking and k-overclocking is not feasible on an h110.  Certainly not on the OP's Gigabyte GA.  These days if you are planning on overclocking, you need to do some research on the motherboard you're purchasing.

Here is what I used to confirm my board's compatibility with BCLK overclock: http://overclocking.guide/intel-skylake-non-k-overclocking-bios-list/

Just now, Biggerboot said:

I guess that's a pretty unique exception.  But to get to the point, unless your board specifies otherwise, base clock overclocking and k-overclocking is not feasible on an h110.  Certainly not on the OP's Gigabyte GA.  These days if you are planning on overclocking, you need to do some research on the motherboard you're purchasing.

Here is what I used to confirm my board's compatibility with BCLK overclock: http://overclocking.guide/intel-skylake-non-k-overclocking-bios-list/

that wasn't my 1st post, my 1st post was me telling him it's not possible :P

So, you guys are saying that I can't overclock this CPU and any CPU on this motherboard at all? Like I can't overclock CPU on my laptop kind of thing? ok.

On 27.8.2016 at 8:33 PM, zMeul said:

AsRock has a new series of Hyper mobos that have an additional, external, BLK clock generator - those allow OCing of non K CPUs

example: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty H170 PerformanceHyper/index.us.asp

I've heard of that but I can't spend more than $60 on a motherboard. If I could, I would just buy a better board and a i5-6600 or something with it. (or that i3-6100).

EDIT: I like this board, so I would just spend that extra money on a better CPU.

funny how I can overclock a GPU on my laptop though but not a skylake CPU on a new PC xD (maybe GPUs work differently)

1 minute ago, Kyuunex said:

So, you guys are saying that I can't overclock this CPU and any CPU on this motherboard at all? Like I can't overclock CPU on my laptop kind of thing?

yes, that's exactly what we're saying

1 minute ago, Kyuunex said:

So, you guys are saying that I can't overclock this CPU and any CPU on this motherboard at all? Like I can't overclock CPU on my laptop kind of thing?

yes, that's exactly what we're saying

OK, thanks for clearing everything up guys! (I guess I'll probably be upgrading CPU on my board to an i5 or something in future)

• 3 weeks later...

Another question, any chance I can overclock the integrated graphics on this? I actually built the PC but I can't afford a graphics card yet and the integrated GPU is painfully slow with most games.