Low fps

DanTheManWithAPan

My computer gets bad fps on a lot of games, and i dont know whether its my parts or if its something else. Ive got an Intel core I5 4570 quad core, an nvidia geforce gtx 970, an asus H97M-E micro atx motherboard and 8 gigabytes of hyperxfury ddr3 ram. In overwatch at lowest settings i get around 40 fps, and in team foretress at high settings i get about 30-60 fps. This is my first computer and i just want to know if this is how it should run.

Have you made sure you're running it with the NVidia GPU and are running the latest drivers? (Try forcing the Nvidia GPU with right clicking the icon > choose display adaptor (or graphics processor) > High-Performance Nvidia GPU.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

4 hours ago, FAQBytes said:

Have you made sure you're running it with the NVidia GPU and are running the latest drivers? (Try forcing the Nvidia GPU with right clicking the icon > choose display adaptor (or graphics processor) > High-Performance Nvidia GPU.

Yes

4 hours ago, Thread212 said:

1.Update Gpu Driver
2.Make sure your operating system is 64 bit to use more than 4Gb of ram
3.970 has Vram problem meaning u wont be able to use all of your vram ( 3.5gb usable)
4.Make sure your ram at dual or quad channel depends on ur motherboard. if its run in single channel you may installed ur ram in the wrong dimm slots ( look for the mobo manual )

1. I have

2. My operating system is 64 bit, windows 10 to be exact

3.Ok

4.I believe they are, but i might be wrong

On 8/27/2016 at 0:43 AM, Lamberto29 said:

Have you checked temps under load, could easy be a bad connection to cpu from the heatsink and it's down clocking to avoid damage

I checked my temps and its running 75 degrees Celsuis+ when at the desktop without anything running. That is probably the cause, so should i get a water cooler?

On 8/27/2016 at 0:36 AM, Thread212 said:

did u plug the Gpu/Cpu power pin correctly? because if they are lack of power they wont be able to use their full performance.

Yes they are both plugged in correctly

37 minutes ago, DanTheManWithAPan said:

I checked my temps and its running 75 degrees Celsuis+ when at the desktop without anything running. That is probably the cause, so should i get a water cooler?

Any cooler should get you well below 75 when idling, unless ambient it's like 50 C or you have some extreme overclocking. Try re-seating your current cooler, reapplying thermal paste.

24 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Try re-seating your current cooler, reapplying thermal paste.

If you just got this card too (new), RMA it.  It'll be better much easier and safer than screwing around with the cooler on the GPU and voiding the warranty, unless you're very experienced with this sort of thing.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

If you just got this card too (new), RMA it.  It'll be better much easier than screwing around with the cooler on the GPU, unless you're very experienced with this sort of thing.

I assumed he was talking about CPU temps. 75 is not normal at idle for either GPU or CPU, but if it's GPU then you are right, no point in messing with the cooler.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I assumed he was talking about CPU temps. 75 is not normal at idle for either GPU or CPU, but if it's GPU then you are right, no point in messing with the cooler.

I just saw 'temps' and assumed GPU, haha whoops.  Yes, what you said.

1 hour ago, Thread212 said:

Wth?? u should replace the thermal paste dude.. dont add it too much nor too less..
just draw a line..
that may be the cause because..
If cpu heated up beyond normal they will trigger " i dont know the name " .
the point is. they will reduce the performance to prevent the cpu from heating up (overheated) or the damage to the cpu itself.
i dont know if GPU has the same safety system.. but if its run 75 at idle both cpu or gpu.. you really need to replace the thermal paste.

Thermal throttling, if it's your gpu take it back and get a replacement, if it's your cpu chances are that your heatsink/fan is either clogged with shit, not powering properly or the far more likely scenario... the tricky little bugger isn't sat right.

#1Take your heatsink/fan unit off cheack the past one that and the cpu and you will see where the contact is and isn't. 

#2 Use some alcohol wipes to clean the heatsink and the cpu head

#3 Make a brew whilst the alcahol evaporates.

#4 use a piece of paper towl to dry whatever is left

#5 apply a thin layer of consistant thickness thermal paste (make sure not to skimp on the cost, a couple $/£ difference can mean a decent temp difference) Also a old creditcard like card is perfect for this.

#6 seat the heatsink on doing the screws opposit to each other first.

#7 make sure the fan is plugged in properly and that heatsink is secure, some can be very awkward with plastic pop screws.

#8 Turn on and check temps in bios, should have dropped to a much safer 40C

Side note, I would always recommend a aftermarket cpu cooler as the stock ones are utter shit, liquid all in one units are great if you want to overclock however bear inmind that pumps on them usually die far sooner than your average fan motor so if you just want stable temps for long term I would just get a good traditional cooler, probably dual fan if possible.

I know you are not the original poster Thread212 I was just expanding on what you said.