FX-8350 or Zen?

Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

Well, it's 2016 and am3+ is crap, so if you're not going to go Intel, then wait for Zen. Plus an 8350 is barely an improvement over an 8150.

I'm not interested in building an Intel system for myself.  I know I need an upgrade to my rig though, and I'm wondering what the community thinks about my choices:

Do I buy an FX-8350 now and use my existing rig until it dies?

Do I wait, save money for now, and build a High-end Zen based rig later?

I'm thoroughly torn.

Not long ago, in a galaxy relatively nearby...

Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen 

Zen Zen .

Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen Zen 

Zen Zen 

Zen

Zen Zen Zen Zen 

And lastly :

Zen

Well, it's 2016 and am3+ is crap, so if you're not going to go Intel, then wait for Zen. Plus an 8350 is barely an improvement over an 8150.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I would wait. If you're deadset on AMD (which isn't the mindset I'd recommend to have), then Zen would be worth waiting for. So far, it looks like a big leap from the AM3+ socket. Just how far, we don't know.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

8350 is like 4 years old. So yes, Zen all the way

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

Don't understand the reasoning against Intel, but Zen, 8350's are shit.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Wait for Zen if you don't want Intel. Looks pretty promising from what I have seen up till now. But it would need some real user benchmarks to see if Zen lives up to the expectations (I really hope it will). If it doesn't, then go with Intel. 

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

9 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Don't understand the reasoning against Intel, but Zen, 8350's are shit.

I support underdogs, and AMD's pricing on high end CPUs is usually more in my range.

1 minute ago, Arma_Sektos said:

I support underdogs, and AMD's pricing on high end CPUs is usually more in my range.

Except for the fact that you can get a better performing i5 build for around the same cost as an FX8 build. And supporting the underdog does nothing but hurt yourself if they don't offer a competitive product.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Except for the fact that you can get a better performing i5 build for around the same cost as an FX8 build. And supporting the underdog does nothing but hurt yourself if they don't offer a competitive product.

Supporting a longstanding underdog like AMD is about the long game though, and I've always taken that stance; I think in terms of decades, not quarters or fiscal years.  I'm more worried about their sustainability as a company.  The more people that jump ship, the less likely they'll be around at some time in the future, and Intel has no other competitors in this space; at this point it's about keeping the industry competitive as well, which means AMD needs all the support they can muster.  I have faith that they can develop chips to rival Intel's offerings, but they won't if the market demand isn't there.  What can I, as one person do about all of this?  Not much, but that won't stop me.  I respect people that have differing views, I just ask for that same consideration.

As for building better price to performance Intel rigs?  I get that, because I also build PCs professionally; I build what my customers want, and most just want performance now.  The common user doesn't think about the computing industry like I do.  I've... had to come to terms with that.  As long as I can do what I need to with the rigs I build for myself, I'm okay not having that better performance (for the reasoning stated above).

I too understand and appreciate the underdog stance, when me and my friends were building our rigs in 2014, they all chose AMD but I couldn't because there weren't any good MATX boards since I needed a smaller rig. I rock their GPUs though because they age like fine wine and I don't have the cash to upgrade every year or two.

Zen hands down.  I just switched from a 8350 to a i7 6700k.  The 8350 was having issues and I could feel it was dated with daily tasks.  I really hope zen brings something to the table because I was a huge amd fan when the 8350 was first released and I have now completely switched to intel and NVidia. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay then.  The general consensus is to wait for Zen, and I can't say I'm disappointed.  Thanks for the input guys! 

On August 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Arma_Sektos said:

Lol AMD doesn't make high end CPUs

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

Lol I just bought a $300 laptop with the a10 9600p basically just for college I admit I'm an amd guy and maybe a little biased but pumped for zen I just couldn't wait another year for their raven ridge apus obviously different circumstances though I'd definitely wait for zen supposed to be next month I believe