Clip on mic for headphones

Freddyfish775

Hi guys

I recently had to replace my corsair Vengeance 2000 after it completely broke down (headband snapped and cable got destroyed).

I'm now looking for a replacement and after reading up on the subject I think I'm going to go for a headphone + mic combination; this seems to be generally better qualitywise? (pls correct me if Im mistaken)

I see the Pioneer SE-A1000's are pretty decent headphones for the price ( keep in mind I live in Belgium so I cant really get any good prices on for instance the AudioTechnica) and they would cost me around 80 €. Now Im looking for a microphone to go along with it.

The mic quality of the vengeance 2000s was imo pretty decent. Had good background noise cancelling so I would really want something that has the same level of sound quality. I use Skype and TS at least 4/6 hours a day so its important for me that people can understand me well.

Any good recommendations?

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Could try the modmic. Not the best mic in the world though.

Blue Snowball... (Ik it's a stand alone mic and it's not that cheap but it's great ^^)

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Could try the modmic. Not the best mic in the world though.

They've been out of stock forever.

OP - Check out prices for the zalman clip on mic, or look at a blue snowflake if you don't want clip on.

Yes i was looking into the Zalman, however there are alot of negative opinions on it (mainly about the amount of background noises it picks up). One thing to note is that i really hate pushtotalk; this is why noisecancellations is important. Will read up on the stand alone mic now.

EDIT: its not that the envirenment in which I use the mic is loud, but i use MX Blue switches, and whereas i love them, people tend to disagree ... scrubs

Yes i was looking into the Zalman, however there are alot of negative opinions on it (mainly about the amount of background noises it picks up). One thing to note is that i really hate pushtotalk; this is why noisecancellations is important. Will read up on the stand alone mic now.

I hate push-to-talk as well but i think you have limited options to clip on mics, i don't know.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

Vague, do you have personal experience with the Zalman? if so, does it bother people when you call them?

Vague, do you have personal experience with the Zalman? if so, does it bother people when you call them?

I use them for LAN events and My Blue Snowball for my house. Had no problem with them in noisy environments.

Thank you all for helping me, ill get the zalman then. if they really bother other people ill look into more expensive solutions! Thanks 

Thank you all for helping me, ill get the zalman then. if they really bother other people ill look into more expensive solutions! Thanks 

No problem dude. Take care.

EDIT: its not that the envirenment in which I use the mic is loud, but i use MX Blue switches, and whereas i love them, people tend to disagree ... scrubs

I hate push-to-talk as well but i think you have limited options to clip on mics, i don't know.

PTT > Voice activation. Every time.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Its not voice activation i use, its 'open' all the time

Well, Teamspeak has voice activation, so I'd suggest using that if you aren't already

And Skype is just terrible <--- my opinion

Funny how I'm listening to Linus ranting about skype in the latest WAN show while writing this :D 

THE signature

yeah im trying to move away from skype and just rent a server with some friends, honestly its like 30 € a year for ten slots so if you share one with some, and add in the better quality, less lagg overall less dc's etc its def worth it 

as an owner of both the corsair vengeance 2000 and a zalman the zalman is not that bad but my guild did notice a bit of a "roomier: sound I'm taking that as a hollower bit echoey sound. they didn't mind either mic though

also did you RMA that headset? they'll give you a new one no questions asked. I've gone through the process at least 5 times.

yeah im trying to move away from skype and just rent a server with some friends, honestly its like 30 € a year for ten slots so if you share one with some, and add in the better quality, less lagg overall less dc's etc its def worth it

I myself run a teamspeak server (for friends) and it's easy to set up if you are familiar with portforwarding and its completely free.

Only downfall is that I have to manually turn on the server everytime I restart my pc, but I'm sure theres a way to fix that.

And if you think setting up a server is too much hassle, I suggest checking out Razer Comms, its a bit glitchy (still beta) but sound quality is sooo much better than skype.

THE signature

Anyone heard of the SOny ecm cs3?? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnidirectional-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B0058MJX4O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=26L4T53OA82FQ&coliid=I339OO06SHAL4Z probably another option, there is a sony ecm cs10 as well, have no idea how are they against the zalman, i'm looking to buy one of these but have no idea which one.

Anyone heard of the SOny ecm cs3?? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnidirectional-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B0058MJX4O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=26L4T53OA82FQ&coliid=I339OO06SHAL4Z probably another option, there is a sony ecm cs10 as well, have no idea how are they against the zalman, i'm looking to buy one of these but have no idea which one.

Ooooo. The Zalman is nice because it's, well, cheap, but that Sony is stereo!

Well the only Zalman I could find in Amazon was about 30$ and the sony was 25$ for the ecm cs3 and 33$ for the ecm cs10, i would love to know which sounds better. (i THIIIINK Sony could sound better because of the stereo)

Well the only Zalman I could find in Amazon was about 30$ and the sony was 25$ for the ecm cs3 and 33$ for the ecm cs10, i would love to know which sounds better. (i THIIIINK Sony could sound better because of the stereo)

Wouldn't pay more than $15 for the Zalman, but I haven't heard of the Sony before tonight.

Usually there's some cheap-o lav mic available wherever anyone is looking if the Zalman is marked up, Amazon.ca being a prime example: http://www.amazon.ca/HDE%C2%AE-3-5-Clip-Mini-Microphone/dp/B001N0W2B6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1381654845&sr=8-7&keywords=mic

I had the Zalman Mic clip and everyone complained that I was to quite, so what I ended up doing was clipping to the straw in a can of air and setting that on my desk. I now use a MOD MIC 3.0 was kind of pricey and did not attach well to my senhisers 555s (I had to tap and glue it to stay straight.) 

Wouldn't pay more than $15 for the Zalman, but I haven't heard of the Sony before tonight.

Usually there's some cheap-o lav mic available wherever anyone is looking if the Zalman is marked up, Amazon.ca being a prime example: http://www.amazon.ca/HDE%C2%AE-3-5-Clip-Mini-Microphone/dp/B001N0W2B6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1381654845&sr=8-7&keywords=mic

First time I added the Zalman to the wishlist it was around 17$, i bet there will be more stores who sell them cheaper that 30$ in amazon, but if the sony is 25$ and sound much better or better i would go for the sony solution :)

EDIT: 

sony: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000246SKU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1PG1JRH9M5Q91PPZKB39&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058MJX4O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1PG1JRH9M5Q91PPZKB39&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

I had the Zalman Mic clip and everyone complained that I was to quite, so what I ended up doing was clipping to the straw in a can of air and setting that on my desk. I now use a MOD MIC 3.0 was kind of pricey and did not attach well to my senhisers 555s (I had to tap and glue it to stay straight.) 

I was looking for the modmic, but apparently they're always out of stock so I discarded that option a long time ago.