Install Ms Office on Linux

I would like it too be all freeware except the ms office of course 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

3 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

There isn't office on Linux. But LibreOffice works ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Calligra (used to be KOffice, the new name sucks) is OK.

Write in C.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

There isn't office on Linux. But LibreOffice works ,,,,,,,,,,,,

libre office is has problems which ms office. I am the only one in my SCHOOL on linux, soo i need ms office

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

libre office is has problems which ms office. I am the only one in my SCHOOL on linux, soo i need ms office

use Wine them. It won't be pretty but it might work.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

which ms office 2013 (i have a licences so no more shady sites)

Build

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you want to use Windows software, you are not advised to use anything other than Windows to run it. Because: Why would you?

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

If you want to use Windows software, you are not advised to use anything other than Windows to run it. Because: Why would you?

@DeezNoNos isn't willing to switch back to WIndows.

1 minute ago, Dat Guy said:

ell i like linux and it is annoying when i have formating issues

Build

Spoiler

I noticed that and I still think he is wrong with this. 

Write in C.

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

There is no Linux-compatible Office software that won't have problems with formatting MS Office documents. Face it.

Softmaker Office is the only one that comes close (but is still far from perfect). Also, not free.

Write in C.

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

Microsoft Office uses your GPU for hardware acceleration and so it be a bad idea to try to use Emulation using Wine.

Your best choice is still to install Windows and use it.

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft Office uses your GPU for hardware acceleration and so it be a bad idea to try to use Emulation using Wine.

Your best choice is still to install Windows and use it.

8 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

There is no Linux-compatible Office software that won't have problems with formatting MS Office documents. Face it.

Softmaker Office is the only one that comes close (but is still far from perfect). Also, not free.

ok thx guys 

Build

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Google Docs Fam

or run windows in a virtual machine for ms office 

It's not officially supported, but like a few people said you can use WINE which is sort of a Windows compatibility layer running on top of Linux to allow you to install Windows software. Also, if you're a Steam user and have a Windows computer laying around, you can actually use Steam in-home streaming to use applications as well, and that would work.

Personally I'd either just use the web version or LibreOffice.

You could just the online version of office. It's free. You may need an account though. I am NOT talking about a 3rd party shady "office" access website yet a legit thing by Microsoft.

On 4.9.2016 at 0:18 AM, iBurley said:

It's not officially supported, but like a few people said you can use WINE 

Wine is great for XP software but you pretty much can't get anything to run that requires a newer version of Visual Basic. That's because it doesn't support VB. 

I'd recommend either a VM with a Windows installation (for example with the Enterprise Trial Version) or using LibreOffice. It is an open cross platform office package that has been developed for over 15 years now (under different names). It is very compatible with .docx .pptx etc. files and is very suitable for everyday use. Almost every German school PC has it installed along with MS Office. However the UI will remind you of MS Office 2003 

Whaddup

There are 2 options.

1 Using the Wine emulator.

2 Installing Windows in a virtual machine.

- KVM.

- Gnome Boxes.

- Virtualbox.

9 hours ago, Sintezza said:

There are 2 options.

1 Using the Wine emulator.

2 Installing Windows in a virtual machine.

- KVM.

- Gnome Boxes.

- Virtualbox.

a windows vm is the ideal solution imo.

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync

I've used wine with ms office 2003 and it works OK but for later versions better use a VM.

On 8/24/2016 at 5:55 AM, DeezNoNos said:

source: European Commission: Complex Singularity vs Openness

Everything has problems with MS Office....even MS Office.

BitBucket/Github:

PM if interested.

In accordance to Forum Community Standards:

No advertising of any non LTT/LMG material

• Personal websites or businesses

Signatures

• No Advertising/External Links, other than to other LTT forum posts

14 hours ago, Azatoth said:

Libreoffice is for linux. Just put it the right format and it will work on any computer running ms office.

Though in simple scenarios this might be true. In many scenarios it is not. see European Commision's report on it.

BitBucket/Github:

PM if interested.

Signatures

On 8/24/2016 at 5:44 AM, DeezNoNos said:

An alternative would be to request to submit them as PDFs any reasonable teacher shouldn't object to this given your lack of options.

If you know it'll be a fight take in a little research to prove the issue isn't an intentionally corrupted docx. Or continue using Libre and just make 3 copies(txt, pdf, docx) try to submit the docx if that fails start going through your fallbacks. The txt and pdf will work because the issue isn't LibreOffice.

• text will only save the text.-just in case
  • pdf would display exactly as it was when you saved it.

Good luck.

BitBucket/Github:

PM if interested.

Signatures