Cheap & Quiet 120mm fans? Also generic dustcover material?

t33to

Real quick here,

I'm building a small linux server for myself in this http://www.ncix.com/detail/thermaltake-versa-h15-micro-atx-dc-119009.htm

I wanted to get a front intake fan as well and I figure two 120mm fans should be enough to keep air flowing through it. However I'd also like to prevent dust from coming in on all those open fan ports, is there some kind of generic dust filter material people get to deal with empty fan ports? I was thinking about getting http://www.ncix.com/detail/arctic-cooling-arctic-f12-120mm-7c-68297.htm as my extra 120mm fan, it seems cheap and reliable and reasonably quiet.

I'm also tempted just to tape up the extra fan ports if I can find some cheap material to protect them from dust.

Use some stockings as dust filters, they really great!

I have some 140mm versios of those fans.. the plastic is pretty cheap feeling compared to a Noctua or high end NZxt/Corsair/etc fan. But to be frank they don't spin ludicrously fast, so they're quiet and seem pretty reliable. I'v been using mine for about four years and they're good as new. Performance may not be tip top but again, they do more/$ then other could. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Just now, Nup said:

Use some stockings as dust filters, they really great!

I have some 140mm versios of those fans.. the plastic is pretty cheap feeling compared to a Noctua or high end NZxt/Corsair/etc fan. But to be frank they don't spin ludicrously fast, so they're quiet and seem pretty reliable. I'v been using mine for about four years and they're good as new. Performance may not be tip top but again, they do more/$ then other could. 

Thanks! How do you personally use stockings as dust filters? Do you just tape them in?

Just now, t33to said:

Thanks! How do you personally use stockings as dust filters? Do you just tape them in?

I used them in spots where they could be placed before the fan (so on shroud in-front of a fan, or grill at the bottom of a case). 

Never placed them directly on a fan, but you could get creative and wrap them around some fan guards, to give 'em some structure, then slap those onto the fans. Should work a treat. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Just now, Nup said:

I used them in spots where they could be placed before the fan (so on shroud in-front of a fan, or grill at the bottom of a case). 

Never placed them directly on a fan, but you could get creative and wrap them around some fan guards, to give 'em some structure, then slap those onto the fans. Should work a treat. 

Thanks. That's good to know!

I bought a couple sheets of this stuff and just cut it to size for dust filters, works great.

better pic

711f42e7-20d1-4347-b093-a3013d477ccb.jpg

if ur in the uk Halfords does it for only £1.50 a sheet

1 hour ago, kalious78 said:

I bought a couple sheets of this stuff and just cut it to size for dust filters, works great.

better pic

711f42e7-20d1-4347-b093-a3013d477ccb.jpg

if ur in the uk Halfords does it for only £1.50 a sheet

Awesome. I knew something like that must exist. How fine is the grid on this stuff? Do you find it actually traps dust in it?

traps a lot of the dust, obv wont be as good as a stocking but I found that a pain in the arse to try n use and it restricted the airflow significantly. this is barely any different to the stuff that came in my case.

to give u an idea this is a scrap bit I have left over on an old 120mm fan.

20160824_015205_zps9zvaf9w8.jpg

the stuff I have on my case is plastidipd black so its a lil finer again.

17 minutes ago, kalious78 said:

traps a lot of the dust, obv wont be as good as a stocking but I found that a pain in the arse to try n use and it restricted the airflow significantly. this is barely any different to the stuff that came in my case.

to give u an idea this is a scrap bit I have left over on an old 120mm fan.

20160824_015205_zps9zvaf9w8.jpg

the stuff I have on my case is plastidipd black so its a lil finer again.

Thanks for taking the time to share man. Really appreciate it.

Just now, t33to said:

Thanks for taking the time to share man. Really appreciate it.

nps, you'll find filters on amazon as well cheap enough. I was just to impatient to wait a month for them from china ;) 

2 hours ago, t33to said:

I wanted to get a front intake fan as well and I figure two 120mm fans should be enough to keep air flowing through it. However I'd also like to prevent dust from coming in on all those open fan ports, is there some kind of generic dust filter material people get to deal with empty fan ports? I was thinking about getting http://www.ncix.com/detail/arctic-cooling-arctic-f12-120mm-7c-68297.htm as my extra 120mm fan, it seems cheap and reliable and reasonably quiet.

I got an F12, pwm+pst version. As opposed to @Nup, I can't speak of longevity yet, but I run it at all 1350 rpm, still can't hear it. And it blows like nothing I got (except some watercooler fans at Formula 1 speeds and noise levels :P ).

I'll hardly pay more than 5-6 euro for a fan after this, unless this thing ditches me soon.