Play DVDs in WIndows 10 Professional?

Johnmakuta

This is my first system running Windows 10 Professional and I had heard that Professional came with DVD playback unlike the non-pro version. Is this true? If so, how to do it?

You can always install VLC media player to play dvd's. Windows 10 (pro or non pro) can not play dvd's by default. You will have to download (and pay $15) the windows 10 dvd player from the windows store if you absolutely must use microsoft software. Just do yourself a favor and use VLC.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

Since Windows 8, built-in DVD codec playback has been removed.

It is now an purchasable add-on for all editions of Windows.

So, your options are:

• Get Windows DVD Playback App from Windows Store ($10 US) -- (for up to 10 PCs using the same account or you linked your account to (if you have different user)). It is a barebone app.
  • Get other software such as: PowerDVD ($60 or $80 if you want to add Blue-Ray support), or WinDVD which is cheaper
  • Or you can use free software like VLC

Use VLC. This player plays like every Video or Audio format I have ever thrown at it. I had maybe 1 movie out of 300 it couldn't play. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.